The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

55 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

I am a St.Mirren fan, SJM fan, who dislikes Rangers immensely but I think Gerrard and his back room team would be exciting appointments for Villa. I know we are considered a pub league, but Rangers have had one league defeat in well over fifty games now where they just strangle the opposition with constant pressing. They do that in Europe too. This year hasn’t been quite so good but Benfica, Porto amongst others couldn’t get better of them. Managerial appointments are always a risk but a Gerrard, McAllister, Beale team, in my opinion, will transform Villa. He would probably also bring Ryan Kent at some stage and Villa are crying out for a player like this. I hope he comes for 2 reasons. Firstly, I think Villa will start flying and secondly, the spirit of that Rangers team will go. 

It appears that those of us who live in Scotland, even us sassenachs,  who get a closer look at SG have a different opinion of him than many of those south of the border. 

That’s a great and considered post, thank you. I’m pretty sure Purslow and the recruitment team at Villa Park will take a more in-depth look at him and not just appoint him because Purslow’s got his number in his phone. Equally he won’t be crossed off the list because he’s a Scouser with a funny voice or horror of horrors he’s only managed in the SPL. 

I’d be happy with his appointment, anything to help St Mirren!

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m struggling to understand how it got so bad in 2021 for Smith after such a great start. It can’t all be down to Grealish surely?  Are our players just shit but over achieved for 2-3 months?

A lack of settled starting XI and Smith using 5-6 different formations and playing key new signings out of position. Targett huge drop in form and was stuck as a wingback which was a disaster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I voted Steve Gerrard (oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh)

From what I can make out he is the only manager to have won something every year that he has been a manager, be it promotion or the league (where ever it may be) Winning mentality breeds winners 

Eh?

He's been in charge of Rangers for 3 complete seasons and won the league once, and nothing else

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m struggling to understand how it got so bad in 2021 for Smith after such a great start. It can’t all be down to Grealish surely?  Are our players just shit but over achieved for 2-3 months?

it's a major factor

19/20 season we relied 100% on him and almost went down as a result

20/21 started well where barkley also stepped up but when he got injured and went off the boil we went back to the "give the ball to jack" tactic. when he got injured and then subsequently left we had no ideas.

if nothing else, gerrard will bring some fresh ideas. lets see how it goes. going to be quite a ride though

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Some interesting points. I'd mainly add that it's easy for us as fans to talk about systems, but probably much harder to implement. Which is why managers earn big bucks. I appreciate what you mean about the indefinable, but the closest thing I can get to rationalising it is that sometimes you get the right man in the right role at the right time. Unless all three are right, you don't get this....magic. For me Gerrard is (possibly) right man, right role, wrong time. 

I absolutely agree, some managers and players just fit right at a club. You may be right on the timing but opportunities don’t always come at exactly the right time. Two out of three ain’t bad. 

10 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

While it might well be different with Gerrard and Liverpool, but if he does end up there, does it automatically mean he’s been a success here?

I’m thinking Ole not making the grade at Cardiff didn’t dampen his chance at working at Man Utd. Lampard having one unsuccessful promotion campaign at Derby didn’t prevent the Chelsea call.

They might prove to be more discerning but it’s not a guarantee that what Liverpool consider a successful audition will align with what we consider success. 

Interesting points. In the same way, if Stevie G is our choice and he does want to come here, what happens if he has done an outstanding job at Villa Park in the years before Liverplop come calling for him to replace Kloppy? 

Would he be so ready to leave us, as he might be Rangers (probably, I accept), but what if we were the higher placed team in the league then and collecting more trophies than they are (nice thought eh)? He would then face replacing a manager who like Busby and Fergie would be a hard act to follow, and we know the next cabs on the rank found doing that a bit difficult at Newton Heath. A bit of a stretch, I know, but he might then prefer to take a rain check on their offer. 🤔

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The good thing about Gerrard is that if he does fail at Villa, he will not get the plop job.

So I'm confident he will do everything he can to succeed.

Surely all managers would do everything to succeed in a role in any case?

30 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

I might be completely wrong on this view, time will tell but I think Steven Gerrard is exactly what Villa need at the moment

''Its a farmers league'' Hes done well across Europe as well as domestically and if you pull apart most of the others mentioned you could find arguments against the leagues they have managed

''No PL experience'' Seriously ? He's worked under top managers playing at the top end of PL football for years as well as internationally 

''Its only Rangers'' Lets not beat around things here, Rangers are a huge club supported across the world with huge pressures to perform domestically, get back above Celtic and perform in Europe and in the main he has taken all of that onboard in his first job

''Lets get manager x/y/z from the latest hipster team'' It may work of course but its a huge risk on the run that we are on at this stage of the season, Gerrard with Mcallister will know what they are coming into

''He will go and take the Liverpool job'' Only if hes successful and if he does? That's life, lets worry about that when it comes

Gerrard will give this everything, this will be a massive move for him and perfect job for his profile - If you can manage the expectations at Villa then you have done better than most

Brilliant post.  👏

• Like 2

I wouldn’t write Gerrard off. He’s a winner, apparently plays good football, and I like Gary Mac as a coach if he brings him with him. It might work, even if I might have prefered a more proven option if available.

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The good thing about Gerrard is that if he does fail at Villa, he will not get the plop job.

So I'm confident he will do everything he can to succeed.

This is the best argument for him I've read.

I hate the fact though that the liverscum pundits on tv know he's currently in a mickey mouse league and they want him down asap just to find out if he can cut it at this level, Villa would just be his audition, if he does well, we have to start all over again, if he doesn't were still struggling. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A lack of settled starting XI and Smith using 5-6 different formations and playing key new signings out of position. Targett huge drop in form and was stuck as a wingback which was a disaster. 

Some of that explains this season. It doesn’t explain last season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

This is the best argument for him I've read.

I hate the fact though that the liverscum pundits on tv know he's currently in a mickey mouse league and they want him down asap just to find out if he can cut it at this level, Villa would just be his audition, if he does well, we have to start all over again, if he doesn't were still struggling. 

My mate said he hopes Gerrard doesn’t get the job because he’d hate to see a cabbage thrown at him 🤣 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They are far from shit players. 

Playing badly though or just not giving a shit 

You can point at all of them having certain qualities but then pull out the stat about us covering the least distance in the league 

So the question is are they underperforming now or were they over performing this time last year

I'm leaning towards over performing

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Love the bloke but Smith got found out tactically. His plan A of high press, attacking football soon got countered and nullified. We all saw it, his in game management was poor when teams were set up right against us and he couldn’t, or wouldn’t, change it. He relied on Grealish to dig us out a hole. 

What we saw then were negative, reactive tactics, an over reliance on certain players who wouldn’t get dropped despite being out of form, just to keep the atmosphere right in the dressing room when things were going wrong as he tried to find a solution.

He’s gone at the right time before his legacy was soured.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Surely all managers would do everything to succeed in a role in any case?

Yeah, for for some it's not the worst outcome if they fail to produce improved results. Big pay offs, and a continuous chance to manage the Norwich's/Derby's of this world should they fail.

If Gerrard wants the Liverpool job, he will do everything to get it. And that means really good results with Villa. 

It feels like there is more on the line for him.