The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The point was people weren’t bothered about a lack of achievements by Smith but are seemingly about Gerrrard. It isn’t about the clubs they are at or where we are, it appears that it is more about if people like the manager.

I think that Smith did well at Walsall then Brentford shows he is a good coach and not a one trick pony. 

People would feel alot more comfortable if Gerrard did well at a second job before taking us on. 

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The point was people weren’t bothered about a lack of achievements by Smith but are seemingly about Gerrrard. It isn’t about the clubs they are at or where we are, it appears that it is more about if people like the manager.

People’s expectations for our new manager now are a lot higher than they were when we were recruiting from 17th in the Championship.

I personally don’t care whether the manager has won a tinpot league in Europe. PL experience matters, which is why I’d prefer Hasenhuttl, Potter or AVB.

57 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I voted Steve Gerrard (oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh)

From what I can make out he is the only manager to have won something every year that he has been a manager, be it promotion or the league (where ever it may be) Winning mentality breeds winners 

Is he the only one not to have been sacked for failing else where   not sure ?

He's managed one club, and it's in Scotland. So I think winning something every year sounds a bit better than it is.

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Thanks for the comments and you make some interesting points.

You probably know more about the technical aspects of Gerrard's system, philosophy and Rangers overall. If he can bring the same energy to Villa then I'm all for it.

In no way am I comparing Rangers to Liverpool, but in terms of how they set up and play, it is like a mirror image. They play always with a back four where the emphasis is on their full backs delivering cross after cross into the box. They play with a midfield 3 that constantly hound the opposition. Nothing spectacular from them but workrate phenomenal. They then play with a front 3 that interchange. Morelos the focal point with Kent and A.N Other free to rove and create. As I said, the argument could be “it’s only Scotland” but they set up this way in Europe and in an extremely tough Europa League group last season, they were unbeaten and were better team in most of the games against high class opposition. Only put out eventually by Bayern Leverkusen. I hear from Rangers fans that Michael Beale is a real driving force with the coaching and is very highly thought of. I just want Gerrard out of Rangers and give other teams a chance….lol. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

It could be argued that SG is a comparable level to Deano and maybe his winning mentality could see us improve, it's a gamble, it's sideways, it's a bit better then Bruce/Big Sam, we've tried it all before, we haven't tried proven, top league top 6, champions League experience. If we are letting Deano go because it's not matching up to the owners ambition, then surely we must be aiming higher then SG.

I don’t think Dean was sacked because we wanted more ambition. I think Dean was sacked because of 5 losses in a row coupled with 18/35 losses in 2021. Im sure if Gerrard does that with us he’ll be out the door also 

Reading almost all the posts on here, there is not one manager that everyone seems to want!

Its time to put the future of Villa in the hands of the owners and trust that they appoint the right man (or woman!) to take us the next step.

Very important that they get this right, if they don't we will go down....I am sure our owners know this and that their investment will be at stake as well as the future of Villa. Get this appointment wrong and we could end up in the backwaters in the lower leagues with teams such as Sheffield Wednesday, Forest etc, former "giants" of the past......

Regards to all

Del

1 minute ago, delboy54 said:

Reading almost all the posts on here, there is not one manager that everyone seems to want!

Welcome to VT :D

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll be honest, none of the names are particularly exciting. I'm not a fan of Roberto Martinez at all, so he's a big no-no for me. Steven Gerrard is a massive unknown too, despite his success with Rangers. 

I appreciate there aren't many options out there right now so I hope the club takes it time. I just hope it's not Martinez. 😁

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm kinda warming to the idea of Gerrard 👀

Same. Couple of things that bother me are that, we already know well in advance that as soon as a better offer comes in (Liverpool), then he is 100% off. (Providing he is successful with us). I know that can happen with any top manager we get as well, but this is so much more blatantly obvious. 

The second thing is that it’s not a ‘big name’ in the management world, yet. I thought we would show some real ambition and get a renowned superstar manager this time round. There’s an element of risk with Gerrard as he is still relatively unproven. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Erik Ten Hag. 

Anyone on here who doesn't want him would be mad. 

Unobtainable though without throwing a countries' GDP at him. 

12 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I think that Smith did well at Walsall then Brentford shows he is a good coach and not a one trick pony. 

People would feel alot more comfortable if Gerrard did well at a second job before taking us on. 

True but that second job would be in the Prem and it could be Liverpool then. It's obviously a risk getting Gerrard in. He could be great or he could struggle with lack of experience. 

Really there is no better job for a manager to take on. You've 70% of the season still to play and you've a squad that is top half quality. Your aim is to get 10th if you can but next season you need to just challenge for Europe not even achieve it. 

I might be completely wrong on this view, time will tell but I think Steven Gerrard is exactly what Villa need at the moment

''Its a farmers league'' Hes done well across Europe as well as domestically and if you pull apart most of the others mentioned you could find arguments against the leagues they have managed

''No PL experience'' Seriously ? He's worked under top managers playing at the top end of PL football for years as well as internationally 

''Its only Rangers'' Lets not beat around things here, Rangers are a huge club supported across the world with huge pressures to perform domestically, get back above Celtic and perform in Europe and in the main he has taken all of that onboard in his first job

''Lets get manager x/y/z from the latest hipster team'' It may work of course but its a huge risk on the run that we are on at this stage of the season, Gerrard with Mcallister will know what they are coming into

''He will go and take the Liverpool job'' Only if hes successful and if he does? That's life, lets worry about that when it comes

Gerrard will give this everything, this will be a massive move for him and perfect job for his profile - If you can manage the expectations at Villa then you have done better than most

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think it's entirely about where the club lies.

When Smith was appointed, we were sat 16th in the Championship and basically wanted absolutely anyone with an almost unanimous view that Bruce should have been sacked.  This is not that situation at all.

• Like 3