The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Gerro won't leave Rangers, seems like a smokescreen to me.

As @Kuwabatake Sanjuro highlights, Rangers have filed account losses lately that will no doubt prevent them from being able to sign better calibre of players to help Rangers progress further.

Gerrard will know this and will see the time will soon be near for him to realise that he won't be provided with the tools to help 'kick them on' any further when it comes to playing in these European Competitions.

I think a job and club like Villa will be a big next step for Gerrard, but one I think he will take with both hands that matches his ambition as a manager like it does us as a club.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

He’d already proven himself with Leicester though. He was being tipped as a potential successor to Ferguson in the really 2000s. If anything his stock fell staying so long Scotland.

Almost England manager too during his time with Villa.

1 hour ago, TheEgo said:

Been a while people. I know I've been missed ha!! A little snippet that may mean something or nothing at all. Sawiris has spent from Saturday to today in Lisbon. Not at all his usual destination over the weekend. Take it for what it is...

I feel for smith, great guy! Really want NSWE/Purslow to aim high. 

Ruben Amorim has done amazing work so far at Sporting … 

• Like 2

One thing that I think gets lost when people speak about Gerrard's success with Rangers is Celtic being an absolute clown car for the past few years. Remember the Dubai trip and all the Covid nonsense that went on with them? That was held up as symbol of how mismanaged they have been recently, a totem of them reaching peak "banter club" territory. 

Gerrard was asked about the Newcastle job recently and roared (but with a playful smile) back 'do I look unhappy'. I know some might be convinced that it's Gerrard, but Lange is clever, don't put it past him to leak information that it's going to be one person to detract attention from the real No. 1 candidate. And I don't even say that out of wishful thinking, because I'm not really bothered if it's Gerrard or not, he has pluses and minues same as any other coach we're likely going to be able to bring in. If we can bring in an elite manager then so much the better, but not going to complain if that doesn't happen, out of all the candidates mentioned there's not one that I would be overly disappointed with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Almost England manager too during his time with Villa.

That was way before he was at Villa. Pretty sure it was when Erikksen ultimately got the job.

In our current position this is as attractive as the Villa job has been for managerial candidates since ONeill got it at the start of the Lerner era. We’re in the PL and are spending Top4 levels of money. That has to be attractive to most managers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

This all feels like the vote to remain or leave. Where the majority were banging on about leaving despite not having a clue what they were voting for. Now we've sacked Smith and have no idea what the alternative is. 

Whoever it is we'll all get behind but plenty are sad about losing Smith. Not so much because of the recent form as that's hard to defend (ironically), more so because Smith built the bridges between the fans and our club again and got the positivity back. That in itself is a he task for the next manager.

I think for some of us it was having the right to choose your own manager.  If I may borrow your analogy. 😄

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

That was way before he was at Villa. Pretty sure it was when Erikksen ultimately got the job.

In our current position this is as attractive as the Villa job has been for managerial candidates since ONeill got it at the start of the Lerner era. We’re in the PL and are spending Top4 levels of money. That has to be attractive to most managers.

Was when McLaren got it. MON was bitter as he publicly went to an interview