The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'm sure you would, Trent 😂 

Way out of our reach, though. 

Possibly, probably.

I would still like to see us try. If the owners are serious about their ambitions then they need to be trying to land a coach that matches them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

The fans won't give Gerrard 12 months, if we start losing it will get toxic real quick with what's happened to Smith . Purslow is either very brave or very stupid .

Maybe so.

If it all comes off as a success, then Purslow would have pulled off a masterstroke.

If it did go tits up then no doubt Purslow's position is questioned and Stevie G is sacked.

Keeping in mind, if it does go tits up then Gerrard can kiss the Liverpool job goodbye too.

I follow the SPL and Gerrard is no mug when it comes to fan pressure. From what I have seen so far from him in management with an average team he shouldn't be underestimated imo.

But fans need to get behind the project and give him adequate time to get this group of players going and maybe add a few additions in January if he sees fit.

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The more I think about it the more I’d like us to try and get Erik ten Hag. 

Would love ten Hag. Not sure he'd love us though. Probably wants United job and rumoured to be pretty against pressing Ajax mid season. But would be by far the best appointment we could make looking at the current rumoured options

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Possibly, probably.

I would still like to see us try. If the owners are serious about their ambitions then they need to be trying to land a coach that matches them.

If the aspirations are to reach Europa league anytime soon then no doubt he will buy into the same project.

Gerrard wouldn't be leaving a relatively great position in Scotland to just come and fight a relegation battle with Villa.

The guy's a winner and he will also be aiming for the top 7 places.

I would'nt be supprised if he has us playing in the Europa League within two seasons.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Whoever we appoint is going to come under pressure from fans if we start losing, because they're going to be compared to Smith who had an almost cult like status amongst some fans.

You mean like when Bruce was sacked and a lot of fans initially wrote off Smith as being a backwards step?  No, I think that if we end up going with one of the obvious names and nothing improves after the inevitable new manager bounce, the backlash will be against Purslow and the ownership, not just the manager.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Whoever we appoint is going to come under pressure from fans if we start losing, because they're going to be compared to Smith who had an almost cult like status amongst some fans.

That's one of the things I'm looking forward to on this forum. 

Being able to bring up valid criticism without being hounded because fans have emotional attachment to the manager. 

Whilst I appreciate that Gerrard has done well  with Rangers, the Scottish Leagues are not a good guide as to who can do well in the premier league. For every Rodgers or O'Neill, there's a McLeish or a Lennon. Gerrard could be a good appointment, but it would be a gamble and I am not sure I would be particularly keen on that and on paper at least, does not seem to be an "upgrade" on Smith to be honest. If it is him though, he of course gets my backing and I really hope he does well.

However, if NSWE are determined to make Villa a top tier team again in the league, then the starting place will be getting a top tier manager and really look to appoint someone that you would expect Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea etc. to appoint. I accept that list does not seem that big at the moment but that is the ambition, we need to match it. Why not see if the likes of Zidane/Ten Hag/Koeman actually are interested? If you don’t ask you don’t get. For example, it seems that Emery will leave Villarreal for the right job, which we really could be and as we know he is a winner.

To me the likes of Gerrard/Martinez (*shudder*)/Potter to me don't strike me to be at that level and we will inevitably need to upgrade in 3/4 years and would we end up being better off than we would have been with sticking with Smith? 

1 hour ago, useless said:

The pressure on Gerrard wasn't to finish top two, that alone wouldn't have been considered good enough, the pressure was to end Celtic's dominance, which he achieved to the point where Rangers have become the dominant team.

Gerrard didn't end Celtics dominance. Celtic did that by hiring Neil Lennon. 

Rangers have done OK in Europe but havent beaten a team from a msjor league. Best team they best were Porto in a group game

• Like 1