The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Well this topic shows us one thing , Purslow has made a mistake , a big mistake . If Gerrard gets the job ( he would be very foolish to accept it) and he loses the first 2 games the fans will turn and his position will become unbearable.

I have spoke to many villa fans today and I haven't spoke to one who wanted Smith out.

• Like 2

There’s a lot of talk about Gerrard here and my initial response to his name is one of repulsion and disgust. But why?

First up, the personal-level stuff. He’s not an honourable person. There’s the attacking a DJ for not playing Phil Collins, there’s the ‘If I ever saw one of my team-mates diving, I’d definitely have a word.’ quote, when he was a notorious (and terrible) diver himself. There’s holding Liverpool back for at least 2 or 3 seasons when he insisted on playing despite not being good enough. There are the evil challenges like this:

Spoiler

0_naysmith.jpg

That's not being 'tough', before someone says we need someone like that, that's just being a word removed.

He’s a piece of shit. 

Secondly, the managerial stuff. He’s done OK at Rangers - about par for anyone who isn’t a basket case - and that’s not a fantastic achievement in itself. There are only two teams in the league and Celtic have been in a state of disarray for the best part of a year now. For us to consider a manager from that league, he'd have to have prior pedigree or multiple trophies there and a period of dominance. 

Thirdly, the manager I want is one who has successful experience of managing in a top league and dealing with players of a decent profile/standing. Somebody who knows what the pressure is like and doesn’t have to learn on the job, as that was the one aspect holding Smith back - it was all new for him and those learning curves coincided with poor spates of form for us. If we’re going through the trouble of getting someone different, we need to make sure that they don’t have the same weaknesses. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

It's probably been mentioned before in this thread but any time I've seen Gerrard at Villa Park, he's fallen over in the last ten minutes and his team have got a penalty or scored from the resulting free kick. If he can still manage that, I'm all for him coming. 

He slips a lot…some famous ones, not always to his advantage

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Proving yourself at club level means the square root of jack now. So many of the managers on the favourites list have "proven" themselves and I wouldn't go near them. Something about the Danish guy tells me he'd be good. Gut feeling.

So empirical evidence of his managerial career is meaningless, but your gut feeling carries a bit of clout? OK. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

The biggest signing Southampton have made in the last 3 seasons is Danny Ings (£20m) and they lost him this summer anyway. Dean Smith has £200m of talent + Jack Grealish.

Sure, Southampton had bad runs in that time - but RH clearly turned it around.

Again, we’ve massively outspent Brighton.  It’s not apples to apples. They both set-up their teams to play attractive but competitive football.

I don’t think either manager will be the second coming - but either would be a smart appointment. Rather that than take a risk on an unknown like Terry/ Gerrard and get relegated. 

They had years in the league before us and were already established. It's facile to compare net spends because a large chunk of what we spent was on rebuilding the squad from almost nothing. 

In any case, they still haven't proved themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Again, we’ve massively outspent Brighton.

Excluding last transfer window (difficult to judge with 100 million of signings not available with injuries etc) we've spent 23 million more than Brighton since 17/18. They've actually spunked a lot of money

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

He wouldn’t be my first choice (the more I read about Favre, the more I like). But I’m not as against the notion of Gerrard than I was when he was first mooted.

It is the Scottish league, but he’s gone there and won it after years of Celtic dominance, last year looks very impressive.

Exactly Mark.

I know the same drum is being banged here in so I'll try and keep it brief.

It could be argued that the two main teams of the SPL are Championship standard.

Using that basis it can be suggested that Stevie G has won a league and Dean has also promotion to his name.

Dean has taken us to a cup final and almost reached Europa League.

Gerrard has been in Europe with Rangers, won their group and reached the last 16.

He was also under immense pressure to stop their main rivals winning 10 in a row. To some that might not sound like much, but in Scotland it very much does, and he achieved it.

I think he is underestimated as a coach. It wouldn't be bad appointment really, he could really be the fire that we actually need at Villa.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think sadly any manager we take is likely doing it as an audition for a top 4 club. The only manager who saw managing villa as the pinnacle of all that could be achieve in football was Deano.

I understand the point though. 

I think the point is that it's clear where Gerrard's loyalty and affinity is - there wouldn't be a second thought in his head, even if we'd finished the season one point behind them. 

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

Well this topic shows us one thing , Purslow has made a mistake , a big mistake . If Gerrard gets the job ( he would be very foolish to accept it) and he loses the first 2 games the fans will turn and his position will become unbearable.

I have spoke to many villa fans today and I haven't spoke to one who wanted Smith out.

Let's see if that remains the case in 12 months and Gerrard/ new coach has us much higher up the table.

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Excluding last transfer window (difficult to judge with 100 million of signings not available with injuries etc) we've spent 23 million more than Brighton since 17/18. They've actually spunked a lot of money

So excluding the last transfer window (where we spent £100m) we’ve still outspent Brighton?

How is that a counter point, this forum man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know it's just rubbish paper speculation, but it doesn't fill me with confidence that we already had a replacement lined up and ready to go (like Spurs had with both Mourinho and Conte).

I’m very very surprised, and somewhat disappointed that we are actually starting the process from the beginning and haven’t got someone nailed down. All a bit amateurish for me. (Based on what I am reading).  

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Let's see if that remains the case in 12 months and Gerrard/ new coach has us much higher up the table.

The fans won't give Gerrard 12 months, if we start losing it will get toxic real quick with what's happened to Smith . Purslow is either very brave or very stupid .