The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

23 minutes ago, useless said:

'The shortlist will be ambitious, and the position will be highly sought after.'

~ Percy

Says that 3 hours after he cowrote another article claiming we're considering Gerrard and Hasenhuttl as our next manager...  Doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence.  

To be honest, after initially feeling a bit “meh”, even slightly aghast, I’m slowly getting more used to the idea of Stevie G (which is normally the moment they announce their intention to stay).

I can’t say he’d be my first choice, but then I really have no idea who that is.

I also don’t disagree with the notion of having a bit more of a “bastard” in charge. I’m trying to think of the managers we’ve had since I’ve who had something approaching “an edge”. It’s slim pickings really, the best I can offer is Atkinson, Gregory and MON. None of them are like Nigel Pearson (not that I want a Pearson) but I had a sense that they’d bite back. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Gerrard won the league with rangers last year, and very convincingly. The first manager to stop Celtic in 10 years 

Like you I live in Scotland, The Highlands rather than Glasgow. I’ve been surprised how well he’s done not only  on the pitch but how he’s lead the club. He comes across incredibly well when representing Rangers. I don’t think I’d have the same opinion of him if I was still down in Birmingham.  I’m not sure we can get him from Rangers where he’s loved and to his credit has shown loyalty. However if we can persuade him somehow then he has as much potential to do well as anyone. He’s a Liverpool legend and is open about his dream of  one day managing them. If he wants to get to Anfield he’ll need a stepping stone, where he’ll have to do very well to convince Liverpool that he’s good enough to manage them even with his history.

There are never any guarantees but someone will possibly get lucky, why not us? We’re not currently in a position to be precious about this. Perhaps we will be if the next manager makes us a strong, competitive and winning side. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

To be honest, after initially feeling a bit “meh”, even slightly aghast, I’m slowly getting more used to the idea of Stevie G (which is normally the moment they announce their intention to stay).

I can’t say he’d be my first choice, but then I really have no idea who that is.

I also don’t disagree with the notion of having a bit more of a “bastard” in charge. I’m trying to think of the managers we’ve had since I’ve who had something approaching “an edge”. It’s slim pickings really, the best I can offer is Atkinson, Gregory and MON. None of them are like Nigel Pearson (not that I want a Pearson) but I had a sense that they’d bite back. 

I think it was Ron Saunders. 

• Like 1

The silver lining to having someone like Gerrard (not sure Rooney or Lampard even come close to being worth even considering, but that Ilk)... is that the pundits and press might actually want us to do well. The corrupt VAR decisions might start going our way.

Still wouldn't want anyone unproven over a long period taking us over, but we have to really hope our owners can sell the vision to someone really ambitious that respects the history associated with the club enough to take an effective step down from wherever they are ripping up trees.

Anyone else will be a disappointment for me and I'd be wishing we could have seen what Dean would have done given a proper left winger and our 3 big money signings all fit at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Job is Gerrards if he wants it and pretty much seems he does want it 

I thought better of NSWE. Jesus, what a shot in the dark. Hope he turns it down. 

What's the point in Lange if we just go for such an uninspired ex player who knows the CEO? 

Edited by Dale
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Job is Gerrards if he wants it and pretty much seems he does want it 

Sorry to raise the issue, and don't want you to name sources but you seem to know both ends of the arrangement.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I hope it's not Stevie G but I think you are doing him a massive disservice by dismissing him with such disdain. He's done a more than solid job at Rangers and is borderline idolized by their fan base who are a notoriously fickle bunch. 

We could do a hell of a lot worse. 

Would be interested to hear who you would consider acceptable based on the above rationale. 

I honestly don’t know, I didn’t expect Smith to be sacked so I hadn’t thought much more about it apart from mistakenly laughing at people suggesting other managers before smith got sacked.  The names banded about scare me…

I can tell you the type, somebody who is going to build something here, that wants to be part of a long term project and not jump ship when his favourite club comes calling (I appreciate managers leave if bigger clubs come calling).  I don’t want a one season Ancelotti type and I don’t want a Lampard/Gerrard type…I want more the Rodgers/Moyes type.  I’m saying names and I don’t mean those people but the way they go about management, I want somebody like that.  I think it has to be a level above Smith as well to make Smith sacking make sense otherwise what’s the point.

I don’t have a name though, sorry! Just the names banded about mostly don’t fall into that category.  

It needs to be someone, who has that edge, that winning psyche, someone who will inspire.

Football players get inspiration from football men who have won things.....You need credibilty to inspire at the top level, not just text book jargon.

I think Stevie G could be a candidate, but my ideal man would be Erik Ten Hag.

Foreign managers on the whole can be a bit of a lottery....I want a driver, a man to inject steel and a competitive edge in to us.....not a cosmetic manager, like remi Garde.

• Thanks 1

I'm very surprised people feel so strongly about Steven Gerrard on both sides of the argument, especially if those arguments are for footballing reasons. The sample size of what he's capable of is just too small to really have an opinion either way imo.

I can understand an argument where people may not want him due to his lack of experience, that makes a lot of sense to me.

I have absolutely no idea if he would be a good fit for us or not, and to be honest, i'm not sure I'd allow anyone to convince me either way on it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Like you I live in Scotland, The Highlands rather than Glasgow. I’ve been surprised how well he’s done not only  on the pitch but how he’s lead the club. He comes across incredibly well when representing Rangers. I don’t think I’d have the same opinion of him if I was still down in Birmingham.  I’m not sure we can get him from Rangers where he’s loved and to his credit has shown loyalty. However if we can persuade him somehow then he has as much potential to do well as anyone. He’s a Liverpool legend and is open about his dream of  one day managing them. If he wants to get to Anfield he’ll need a stepping stone, where he’ll have to do very well to convince Liverpool that he’s good enough to manage them even with his history.

There are never any guarantees but someone will possibly get lucky, why not us? We’re not currently in a position to be precious about this. Perhaps we will be if the next manager makes us a strong, competitive and winning side. 

I lived with a few Rangers fans a pre Covid and that’s why I think I’m a bit more relaxed about him being the potential appointment, he’s done a fantastic job. I agree he handles himself very well. There’s definitely worse candidates. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The silver lining to having someone like Gerrard (not sure Rooney or Lampard even come close to being worth even considering, but that Ilk)... is that the pundits and press might actually want us to do well. The corrupt VAR decisions might start going our way.

Still wouldn't want anyone unproven over a long period taking us over, but we have to really hope our owners can sell the vision to someone really ambitious that respects the history associated with the club enough to take an effective step down from wherever they are ripping up trees.

Anyone else will be a disappointment for me and I'd be wishing we could have seen what Dean would have done given a proper left winger and our 3 big money signings all fit at the same time.

The pundits will want him to do well so that they can talk up him leaving at the end of every year

He'll be using us for his CV in his Liverpool interview when klopp leaves, he'll also get column inches linking him to the England job

If he does well... Succeed or fail I don't see him seeing out a contract with us and for that reason Im not fussed by him 

And that's before you look at him as a person and what his rangers achievements are even worth, not a clue what his brand of football is like 

• Like 2

With the fact that he was sacked after a narrow defeat, and one in which the players really went for it and were unfortunate not to get a result, I’d like to think the board have someone lined up to have time with the team during the international break. I’m gutted he’s gone but my preference would be AVB of all the names mentioned.