The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Of course. But DS record in premier league if you take out first 11 games of last season is nothing to write home about either let's be honest. Perhaps Man. City will come calling post Pep to get Grealish happy but I very very much doubt it. Certainly not comparable to Nuno who finished 7th twice with newly promoted team twice. Or even Sean Dyche who finished 7th in 17/18 season with a miniscule budget. So those two are a bit more advanced than "flavour of month"

What rubbish! Promotion first season, avoided relegation second season, added 20 points to points total third season.  An exceptional progression.  I’m not going to debate Nuno and Dyche because I just can’t put them in the same level.  We obviously disagree on that but you are being unfair on what Smith achieved.  Anyway I’m leaving the board for the evening now…enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Every single time, for me.  That's part of why I rarely rejoice when one goes. Even when McLeish got pied off it wasn't certain they wouldn't replace him with Trevor Francis.

A cautionary tale, as you have to say we replaced Big Eck with a disastrous, flavour of the month appointment.

Edited by AvonVillain
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I don't think I can remember a time when a Villa manager was sacked and I was dreading the next appointment. Odd.

And to an extent, I think we owe our new owners the benefit of the doubt, they got the last one right. But if they go for Gerrard, Lampard or Terry, I think I'm just done. 

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Of course. But DS record in premier league if you take out first 11 games of last season is nothing to write home about either let's be honest. Perhaps Man. City will come calling post Pep to get Grealish happy but I very very much doubt it. Certainly not comparable to Nuno who finished 7th twice with newly promoted team twice. Or even Sean Dyche who finished 7th in 17/18 season with a miniscule budget. So those two are a bit more advanced than "flavour of month"

Why would you take out the first 11 games of last season? 

That’s nearly a third of a season. Does that not count for some reason?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I swear to god, I'd rather get into the bath with a plugged in toaster than watch Sean Dyche's Aston Villa.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

This CEO & board has credit in the bank for me when it comes to manager selection. They picked Dean Smith and it was a great success in my view. 

I am looking forward to what they come up with next.

Same...  TBH, they haven't made a bad move yet in the past 3 seasons, even as painful as it is right now to lose Smith.  I'm hoping we'll look back at this decision 3 years from now and say it was a correct one as well. I'll back whoever they decide to bring in, regardless of my feelings on them, but I'll start to lose the faith if we go for someone inexperienced with management, like JT, Lampard, or Gerrard.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Why would you take out the first 11 games of last season? 

That’s nearly a third of a season. Does that not count for some reason?

Because Vieria's first 11 games at Palace don't count for some reason, beginners luck I guess? They look well on course for top 8 currently and even winning games without Zaha which was big problem for them under Hodgson.

Would be amazed by Nick's criteria of why Nuno and Dyche aren't as good as DS, both got newly promoted  teams to 7th relatively quickly and don't think Dyche has even spent 100m in his time at Burnley.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I swear to god, I'd rather get into the bath with a plugged in toaster than watch Sean Dyche's Aston Villa.

I don't like his style of football at all...but ultimately in these times he's done an incredible job at Burnley with the budget he's been given there in last 5 years.

They'll be relegated as soon as he leaves and they know it.

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

A cautionary tale, as you have to say we replaced Big Eck with a disastrous, flavour of the month appointment.

Unfair to Lambert...  He guided Norwich from League 1 to the Premier League in back to back seasons, then finished 12th in their first season back in the Prem, with a squad of nobodies he put together on a shoestring budget.  He was not a flavor of the month manager.  Safe to say the Villa job was too big for him and shattered all his confidence.  He has since been a shell of the manager he was before we ruined him.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m done with this shit today.  Looks like sacking Smith is going to be the wrong decision.  The lists of managers be banded around are poor and people are defending some of the names while even conceding the massive downsides.  I hope the club pull something out the bag but it feels like the worst day of the owners tenure so far. I’m trying to find optimism but I’m the most pessimist I’ve been under their tenure.

I half agree. I too am very concerned with the managers being linked. Only Potter i see as an improvement.

However I do feel Smith has taken us as far as he could. I love the man and am sad to see him go. I wished so much he would be the man to bring major trophies back to Villa Park. But at the end of the day he basically relied on luck and the brilliance of Grealish to achieve anything here. And if you're going to sack him this is the best time really.

So all in all we have lost a well respected and loved manager who has taken Villa as far as he could, and we have to face the prospect of hiring a replacement that wouldn't be an improvement. We will need luck on our side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

you mean basically the style we have seen for the last 6-12 months at Villa under the current coaches??

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I don't like his style of football at all...but ultimately in these times he's done an incredible job at Burnley with the budget he's been given there in last 5 years.

They'll be relegated as soon as he leaves and they know it.

I absolutely agree, I respect him for what he's done there, and it's the best managereial appointment Burnley could ever hope for. I hate the "The spurs way" bullshit of mediocre teams expecting scintilating football, but I've only just recovered from Bruce, and they're in the same Brexit-ball camp, I don't think I could take it.

Maybe I'm being unfair and with a bigger club and more resources, he'd push on and be more progressive, but I really doubt he'd do anything other than buy more expensive thugs. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What rubbish! Promotion first season, avoided relegation second season, added 20 points to points total third season.  An exceptional progression.  I’m not going to debate Nuno and Dyche because I just can’t put them in the same level.  We obviously disagree on that but you are being unfair on what Smith achieved.  Anyway I’m leaving the board for the evening now…enjoy!

Seriously agree with this. We have shown no loyalty to a guy who has turned this club around Shame on them

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

you mean basically the style we have seen for the last 6-12 months at Villa under the current coaches??

With Smith it's been "this is shit, we can and have done better, wtf is going on" rather than "Ah yes, this is exactly what Mr Dyche intends. BREAK THAT BASTARD'S LEGS!".

I’m still coming back to the whole “manager that will take Villa to the next level.”

I think Hassenhuttl could do it. Favre could do it, but certainly not Gerrard.

I just feel like Hassenhuttl’s high pressing formation of 4-2-2-2, with Buendia and Bailey supporting Watkins and Ings, could really work. As long as he brought in midfielders in January.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I absolutely agree, I respect him for what he's done there, and it's the best managereial appointment Burnley could ever hope for. I hate the "The spurs way" bullshit of mediocre teams expecting scintilating football, but I've only just recovered from Bruce, and they're in the same Brexit-ball camp, I don't think I could take it.

Maybe I'm being unfair and with a bigger club and more resources, he'd push on and be more progressive, but I really doubt he'd do anything other than buy more expensive thugs. 

Could you imagine if he signed Ben Mee for Villa?