Christmas 2021

sidcow

Christmas tree went up today once the little one got home from school. 

Eating mince pies, drinking fizz and wearing my (Die Hard) Christmas jumper. 

Very content right now. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I know exactly how much has been spent on me.

I also know exactly when I bought it and when I handed it over for wrapping.

It’s a very good system.

Well I handed over a list of records and I know they've all arrived.

Amazingly, I've even bought the missus gifts this year with only one link sent to me, the other three gifts will actually be genuine surprises that she will be pleased with I hope.

I might need to find one small gift to balance it out now but not essential.

The pressure/manipulation to purchase stuff is everywhere.

We're pretty hard up so I question every purchase in my mind as a rule at the moment. But every shop has gift boxes/baskets and about 90% of email seems to be aimed at getting you to purchase something. 

We always say a limit to each other - usually $250. I always go over a bit in the history of our relationship I've generally earned a little more. Now the nipper is here and a 2nd on the way I'd rather throw $1000 in his savings then buy a bunch of pointless tat.

We got a used piano for $50 today and that is sort of the 'family' present. Mrs. A is just getting one present unless I succumb to an impulse buy to pad the present pile (which will probably happen at the last minute.)

The little lad is getting a trombone of course (a p-bone. It's plastic!)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

The pressure/manipulation to purchase stuff is everywhere.

We're pretty hard up so I question every purchase in my mind as a rule at the moment. But every shop has gift boxes/baskets and about 90% of email seems to be aimed at getting you to purchase something. 

We always say a limit to each other - usually $250. I always go over a bit in the history of our relationship I've generally earned a little more. Now the nipper is here and a 2nd on the way I'd rather throw $1000 in his savings then buy a bunch of pointless tat.

We got a used piano for $50 today and that is sort of the 'family' present. Mrs. A is just getting one present unless I succumb to an impulse buy to pad the present pile (which will probably happen at the last minute.)

The little lad is getting a trombone of course (a p-bone. It's plastic!)

For both the finances and the planet, less pointless gifts that aren’t really needed or expected is a good thing.

We’re in a slightly different position this year in that for the first time in a long time the finances aren’t horrible. But we’re still agreed we don’t try and go for the old twenty seven surprise presents each.

As per Mr Bicester above, we’ve agreed the proposer present, but I’ve also got her a couple of extra books I think she’ll like. Nothing flashy.

• Like 1

Christmas presents can create a lot of stress for people, the pressure to buy is intense whenever you look. My missus falls for this every year which I’ve always found difficult because I come from a family that never went mad at Christmas. We were never that well off so we didn’t really get spoilt as kids, which was fine and I understood the situation.

Then I met my missus, (for context she already had two children when we met, I’ve been their step-dad for 13 years now). Our first Christmas together I was blown away by the amount she had bought them. They had thousands of pounds worth of stuff, half the room was stacked on Christmas morning. She’s been the same ever since. It stems from when she split from the kids’ dad and her vow that they would always have everything they want and never go without (a commendable intention). 

My issue isn’t with spoiling children, I’m okay with that, it’s not adversely affected them in any way. It’s that we’ve often ended up skint or borrowing money/buying things on credit to pay for a massive Christmas. When to me, it’s really not that important. She’s much better with it now, the children are no longer children. But she still has this thing where we’ve bought their presents, and she’ll keep asking them if they want anything else, all the way up to Christmas Eve. So what starts out as a “let’s set a limit of say £300 per person”, ends up spiralling out of control. 

Oh, and then I get labelled as a Christmas hater for trying to be sensible! 

Sorry, I thought I was on mumsnet for a moment there :ph34r:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Christmas meal in local country pub tonight with 22 neighbours (and wife of course).

I've never done this stuff before as a) pretty antisocial and b) the neighbours in Chelmsley Wood were NOT the types to go out for a jolly drink and food. More likely to stab you and smoke some crack.

More than happy to have moved to Warwickshire ;)

Are you going to decide which one to stab before or after you've smoked some crack? 

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Christmas meal in local country pub tonight with 22 neighbours (and wife of course).

I've never done this stuff before as a) pretty antisocial and b) the neighbours in Chelmsley Wood were NOT the types to go out for a jolly drink and food. More likely to stab you and smoke some crack.

More than happy to have moved to Warwickshire ;)

I think you’d have a much better time with the Chelmsley lot rather than trying to keep up appearances with the local villagers 😉

While on the subject of pubs and something that I don’t think I’ve seen discussed on here in previous Christmas threads…

Going to the pub on Christmas Day.

This was something I didn’t realise some did as a tradition until I was into adulthood. My dad isn’t a drinker and so we seldom went to the pub ever. As such the idea of going there on Christmas Day is slightly alien to me, despite my fondness of going to pubs generally. Christmas Eve, yep done that more than once it’s fair to say, likewise Boxing Day.

Is this a tradition for folk on here? Do you have a meal when you do go? Is it typically the same pub with the same people?

My sole (near) experience is going for a walk about 9pm on Christmas Day for some fresh air a couple of years ago, seeing one pub near me being open, almost tempted to go in just to say I’ve been for a drink on the day itself, but from the outside looking through the window it appearing mostly empty and decidedly lacking in festive cheer so ultimately determining that a drink at home would be more enjoyable.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

While on the subject of pubs and something that I don’t think I’ve seen discussed on here in previous Christmas threads…

This was something I didn’t realise some did as a tradition until I was into adulthood. My dad isn’t a drinker and so we seldom went to the pub ever. As such the idea of going there on Christmas Day is slightly alien to me, despite my fondness of going to pubs generally. Christmas Eve, yep done that more than once it’s fair to say, likewise Boxing Day.

Is this a tradition for folk on here? Do you have a meal when you do go? Is it typically the same pub with the same people?

My sole (near) experience is going for a walk about 9pm on Christmas Day for some fresh air a couple of years ago, seeing one pub near me being open, almost tempted to go in just to say I’ve been for a drink on the day itself, but from the outside looking through the window it appearing mostly empty and decidedly lacking in festive cheer so ultimately determining that a drink at home would be more enjoyable.

I really miss going for a few pints of Bathams on Christmas Eve back home.

Me and my best mate growing up would do a crawl from the Forrester's Arms (Enville Ale) and hit the next 13 pubs 🤣 in Wollaston all the way to Stourbridge.

We'd end up in Stourbridge market pissed out of our brains and buy all the flowers left off the stall as they were closing (for a bout a fiver.) Even went and played bingo with the old ladies one year and won a huge ham. True story.

Couldn't do that now though. If I'm back we'd meet at lunchtime for a few Bathams and have to have a lie down around half two.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I really miss going for a few pints of Bathams on Christmas Eve back home.

Me and my best mate growing up would do a crawl from the Forrester's Arms (Enville Ale) and hit the next 13 pubs 🤣 in Wollaston all the way to Stourbridge.

We'd end up in Stourbridge market pissed out of our brains and buy all the flowers left off the stall as they were closing (for a bout a fiver.) Even went and played bingo with the old ladies one year and won a huge ham. True story.

Couldn't do that now though. If I'm back we'd meet at lunchtime for a few Bathams and have to have a lie down around half two.

Ha, my brother lives off Fir Grove, 3.minute walk, 10 minutes back even downhill, enville ale is tiptop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Ha, my brother lives off Fir Grove, 3.minute walk, 10 minutes back even downhill, enville ale is tiptop.

The just down the hill also serves Enville. There's 2 Enville and 2 Bathams pubs in Wollaston. Thats a spoiled drinking village!

Man, I wish teleportation had been invented. I'd love to pop over for a few hours !

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Years ago, before we had children, we’d go to the in laws in the morning, open all the presents. Then about lunch time me and the father in law would walk down to the local pub for a couple of pints. Everyone would be in a great mood. 
Then we’d go back for Christmas dinner. 

I do miss it but can’t get away with it now. 

I remember one year before the smoking ban the place was absolutely full of cigar smoke. The thought of sitting in a room like that now is absurd. 

• Like 1

Done it once and that was only because my aunty came to my mom's house for dinner and her fella did it every year, walked 10 mins to a god awful pub, had a couple, me, him and my mom's fella

Its just get the men out the way whilst the women cook stuff 

My dad does every year with his father in law 

Never done it on the night 

Done the pub lunch for Xmas day once as my mom lived in Scotland and came down for Xmas but wanted me and my brother somewhere together and neither of us wanted to cook for that many people, it was actually pretty good just not the same as at home

• Like 1

We had Christmas dinner out once and it was really shit. The atmosphere, the service, the quality and quantity of the food all poor. The MIL went full Karen and got a full refund (it’s was about £45 each).

The thing with Christmas dinner, it has to be massive doesn’t it. A proper belly buster. You ain’t getting that in many places. 

• Like 1

I cook Christmas dinner and I love doing it.

We had Christmas dinner at the sister in laws one year. Brother in law insisted we went down the pub whilst they cooked. So Christmas Day and I’m away from my missus and kids. Then it turns out his pub is full of rugby memorabilia and rugger types that had all left the little lady to prep their lunches.

Wasn’t my favourite Christmas Day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The just down the hill also serves Enville. There's 2 Enville and 2 Bathams pubs in Wollaston. Thats a spoiled drinking village!

Man, I wish teleportation had been invented. I'd love to pop over for a few hours !

Yeah, Wollaston is nice. I haven't since pre COVID. I'm a whisky snob now, can't afford to drink in pubs 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This is something I used to do when I lived at my mom and dads (they lived right opposite a pub) and for a few years after I moved out. Me, my dad and my brother would go over the pub and there would be a couple of mates in there and a few other family members. Pub was full with 80% men I'd say. We'd go over about 12 and be in there until 2 then back over to my mom and dads for dinner. If I had a girlfriend at the time, or eventually my wife, she'd happily stay in the house with my mom who'd start preparing dinner whilst having a glass of wine or three.

I think the only reason I stopped is because my dad died. Thinking about it the last Christmas day I'd have gone to the pub would have been 20 years ago this year. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1