Pre-match Thread

Herman22

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a pity in a way that at a time when the club is desperate for midfielders who can play as a six and crying out for eights, our youth set up has produced a couple of the best tens we've seen in years. 

Murphy's law.

It doesn't surprise me, when I watch the youth, its always swashbuckling ball players, scoring beautiful goals.

Unfortunately when you get in the mans game....there's always a big ugly, trying to stop you.

I have no idea what goes on with the youth, but I am never really impressed with them stopping the opposition either......so maybe its not bred in them from an early age.

I would imagine Billy Bremner and Johnny giles, was born they they was.

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So without Luiz, Sanson and Jacob Ramsey, who would you play there?

I thought other than his assist (that was excellent) Buendia was awful yesterday, a passenger, there's a reason we didn't look much weaker when we went down to ten.

He was poor yes, but he was far better than Bailey who should have blocked their first goal and contributed nothing going forward (hope it was just a fitness thing for him).

I think if we had took Bailey or Targett or Young off we wouldn't have looked much weaker so a tad harsh on Buendia who at least provided Ollie with a tap in.

Well the team I had included both Luiz and Sanson with McGinn (fingers crossed that at least one makes it) but if they are out then I'd go with Nakamba (best of a bad bunch of midfielders yesterday) and Chuk.

Not ideal to be throwing in young ones when we are playing how we are, but he's shown he's a good player, so no reason why he can't do a job for us. Not that long ago when JJ wouldn't have been a regular starter but he's improved and I think Chuk as a higher ceiling.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a pity in a way that at a time when the club is desperate for midfielders who can play as a six and crying out for eights, our youth set up has produced a couple of the best tens we've seen in years. 

Murphy's law.

Never heard of these Murphy lads but i look forward to them getting a crack

• Haha 1

On 01/11/2021 at 09:48, Herman22 said:

We are going to be so light in midfield for this one. If no one is back from yesterday we'll be without McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, and  Ramsey. Add to that Konsa, Ings and Traore and we are looking so light. 

Probable staring line us will be:

Emi

Cash Tuanzebe Mings Target

Young Marv Buendia

Bailey Watkins ElGhazi

That midfield 3 is not  going to work against Southampton... or indeed anyone in the league. 

Emi

Cash Tuanzebe Mings Targett

Luiz McGinn Sanson

Bailey Ings ElGhazi

I'd go with the above, assuming players are fit and whatever kept them out the last game isn't impacting them. 

Sadly,  I suspect Sanson is miles off being ready, and Luiz and Ings' mystery injuries won't have cleared up by the time Friday rolls around. If so, I'm not sure what midfield 3 we can pick that stands a chance. 

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not knowing what's happening with Luiz, Ings, Traore, Sanson and JPB, and having Konsa and J Ramsey out leaves us ridiculously short.

Villa win.

I like your optimism. Wish I shared it.

On 01/11/2021 at 11:38, Mister_a said:

Friday night games should be fired into the sun.

Orbital mechanics makes this very hard. It would be much easier to sling them out of the solar system into oblivion.

But FWIW I quite like them, being televised I can watch the full 90minutes from the comforts of my lounge, and with no work the following day can enjoy a few beers to drown sorrows.

• Haha 3

It's a good thing I'm not a football manager, because I would be so tempted to try and stink out this game and keep it close for as long as possible.

Martinez

Tuanzebe Hause Mings Targett

Cash Luiz Nakamba McGinn

Watkins Davis

Get the ball up to Davis to hold up and go from there. Make MacPhee earn his money from set pieces. Make Sean Dyche open a bottle of wine for the game.

Villa win 1-0

• Haha 2

Points on the board would be nice but more importantly we desperately need a good performance to build confidence and stop the rot. I didn’t think we’re that bad against West Ham until the red card, so hopefully there is something to build on with the same team shape. Konsa swaps for Tzanzebe and Ramsey swaps for Luiz (assuming fit) and I’d keep the rest the same.
If we stink out the place again then I fear Dean is due for the chop prior to the international break. A good performance (regardless of result) then I think he stays.