Your Most Underrated and Overrated Villa Player of All Time

Big Salad

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

From my time as a fan ('06-Present):

Most Overrated:

• O'Neill Era - James Collins - He was somehow beloved by most of the Villa fans when he was here, but I see Mings getting lambasted for doing the same things today.  Never rated him.
  • Houllier Era - Barry Bannan - You either loved him or hated him, but some acted like he was Iniesta 2.0.  
  • McLeish Era - Chris Herd - Awful footballer who got way too many passes for his poor play because of his goal at Anfield.  Most of us were hoping he'd turn into a good player, but his performances just got worse and worse over time.
  • Lambert Era - Gabby Agbonlahor - Only played well when he was moving for a contract extension.  Still gets a pass by Villa supporters for his form under MON.  Defines the entire Lerner era at Villa.  Lots of potential, but was too lazy to do anything with it.  
  • Sherwood/Garde Era - Jordan Ayew - I still hear some talking about how much they rated him at Villa during this time.  He was one of the most selfish players I've ever seen in a Villa shirt.  Reminded me of that kid we all played with when growing up who tried to dribble through the entire opposing team before taking a shot, instead of just passing the ball to a wide open teammate in a better position.  
  • RDM/Bruce Era - Jonathan Kodja - I had very high hopes for him when he started, but ended up performing well short of expectations overall.  
  • Smith Era - Trezeguet - Villa supporters LOVE a tryer...  He's the Egyptian Brett Holman.  Runs around a lot, but offers nothing on the ball and lacks any sort of football brain.

Most Underrated

• O'Neill Era - Carlos Cuellar - I loved this guy.  Still one of my favorite all time Villa players and I'm still shocked some think he was poor for us.  Was easily our best CB behind Laursen & Melberg, during MON's time.  
  • Houllier Era - Nathan Baker - Never seen a defender consistently put his body on the line like he did.  Made a lot of mistakes, but you could see he had a lot of potential.  Clark adapted to Premier League football quicker, so Baker was always compared to him, even though he was younger.  
  • McLeish Era - Marc Albrighton - I'm still sad Lambert let him go.  He's a legend at Leicester now, but I would love to see him back at VP before he hangs his boots up.  
  • Lambert Era - Ashley Westwood - Pure class, but a lot did not rate him because he isn't a brick shithouse DM
  • Sherwood/Garde Era - Idrissa Gana Gueye - Probably the best DM we've had in the past 20 years, but some still talk about how he "hid from the ball", even though he topped every single statistical rating chart for his position in the Prem.  
  • RDM/Bruce Era - Neil Taylor - I still don't get the amount of flack some fans gave him.  He was never an attacking fullback at any point in his career, so expecting him to come in and be Roberto Carlos was never realistic.  
  • Smith Era - Connor Hourihane - Played out of position for Deano, never complained, and still gave his all on the field.  Wasn't a defensive midfielder, but he did a great job in our 10 game winning run as the anchor in the midfield.  Also has a wand of a left foot.  

Forgot about Cuellar…

Good call to group them by managerial eras

Cuellar's positioning was leagues better than Collins, plus he was much better with the ball at his feet.  .  Collins was better in the air, but he was always one tackle away from a red/peno every single game.

3 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

We don't need him now but Matthew Lowton would have been good to have in the squad the seasons after the relegation. Reading back now what happened in the transfer window before the 2015/2016 season is mind boggling.

20 August: Leandro Bacuna signs a new five-year contract at the club. 🙄

he was having trouble at home with his mental sounding missus, turning up late for training etc head wasnt right here

• Like 1

i dont think time and reflection has been kind to him but during his actual playing time here overrated was nigel reo coker, 2nd touch was a tackle, he was shit

going the other way due to his last seasons being so poor guzan maybe has an unfair opinion of him on here, he was decent first couple of years and pulled off some awesome saves...and then we broke him and i think more people remember the broken guzan in a negative light

current squad i think matty cash is overrated, maybe a bit harsh because i think we tuck him in narrow or we push him high up the pitch but whilst he's not Hutton (who's "legend" status definitely ticks the overrated box) he does get caught out a lot, mings is underrated in the context of what he is what we are and then in that same conversation that leads to konsa being overrated

• Like 1

this might be a controversial one - 

i though carew was really streaky, could completely disappear his last half a season was really poor and i did think that we needed another striker to come in, we just didnt need **** heskey

he got away with a fair bit due to his fan favourite status

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

this might be a controversial one - 

i though carew was really streaky, could completely disappear his last half a season was really poor and i did think that we needed another striker to come in, we just didnt need **** heskey

he got away with a fair bit due to his fan favourite status

Downing said similar last week, great player when he wanted 

• Like 1

This isn't my idea, I heard some people talking about it at the farmers' market, and it went something like this... over the last thirty or so years Villa have had some very good players, but some of those very good players tend to get overrated, because us having a lack of genuine world class players to get excited about so we tend to exaggerate the brilliance of the good ones we do have, Ian Taylor and Angel were cited as example of this, McGrath, Merson, Yorke, Grealish, and Bosnich were cited as exceptions, that is players that are genuninely world class or close to it.

As for me I'm not sure, it's not for me to decide who's overrated, but I would say that I think that Grealish was underrated by a surprising number of our fans, it seems many didn't realise just how good he was and is.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

This isn't my idea, I heard some people talking about it at the farmers' market, and it went something like this... over the last thirty or so years Villa have had some very good players, but some of those very good players tend to get overrated, because us having a lack of genuine world class players to get excited about so we tend to exaggerate the brilliance of the good ones we do have, Ian Taylor and Angel were cited as example of this, McGrath, Merson, Yorke, Grealish, and Bosnich were cited as exceptions, that is players that are genuninely world class or close to it.

As for me I'm not sure, it's not for me to decide who's overrated, but I would say that I think that Grealish was underrated by a surprising number of our fans, it seems many didn't realise just how good he was and is.

I always felt that the period some of the best players we had were available was relatively short.

Dublin could have been a legend but he joined fairly late in his career.

57 minutes ago, commander said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha he was awful. He's got to be the most overrated by far. S0rry to pick on you put Westwood was "Pure class?", in what way? He was putrid.

Nothing to do with not being a brick shithouse, Bannan wasn't either but he was 10 x the strength of Westwood. He was the weakest player I've ever seen (I'd be surprised if he could tear through a wet paper bag), he used to close his eyes when going up for a header, pathetic, loser mentality, made everyone around him worse, a coward off the ball and a bigger coward on the ball. Without doubt the worst player I've ever seen in a villa shirt and i've witness some absolute shite. Westwood was just **** awful.

People say the wasn't a bad egg, but to me his attitude stank, he never improved, just got continually worse every week. You'd think after playing professional football for 5 years he could at least open his eyes when he jumped up for a header? Those **** bag of shit corners, you'd think maybe he'd practice to make them better? 

If someone thinks he's shit - let alone pure class (has to be a troll) - that's still hugely overrating him. 

Do you have a notification for whenever someone mentions Westwood or something?

Â