Your Most Underrated and Overrated Villa Player of All Time

Big Salad

Thought it would just be interesting and curious to see what everyone thinks in regards to the most underrated and or/overrated players in our history. Sure their will be a lot different choices and a lot of differing opinions on the same players. Let's just try to keep it civil fellas, just a friendly discussion here. Also, not overly bashing former and/or current players as well if we can. Also, sure will be a lot of difference versus who has been following team the longest also, etc.

Anyway, as for me here are my two:

Underrated:

Marc Albrighton-

Over 100 appearances for the team and had some good assists along the way. Not the most flashiest of players, but he gave us his all when he went out there for Villa and tbh I think we could do with someone like him in the team right now.

Overrated:

Fabian Delph-

I'm not taking into account as to why/how he left here but rather I just never really liked him. I never rated him while he was here; I guess others saw more of what he did than I.

• Like 1

Depending on certain time of their career, I'd say Hogan is up there for most overrated. 

Albrighton is a good shout but he wasn't that great when he left us. He turned into a very good player. 

I think El Ghazi is one of the most under rated players we've had. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Overrated:

Gavin McCann

Underrated:

Carles Gil

You've got them the wrong way round fella.

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

JLS was very overrated! 

He was flying at one point. Should have got an England cap. Then he became a target for the boo boys and he forgot how to control a football.

If only Sven had put him on against Sweden...

• Like 2

We don't need him now but Matthew Lowton would have been good to have in the squad the seasons after the relegation. Reading back now what happened in the transfer window before the 2015/2016 season is mind boggling.

20 August: Leandro Bacuna signs a new five-year contract at the club. 🙄

Underrated - currently AEG, people often forget if he had any consistency he would be Ona different class bracket. I’m happy for him to get those goals for us when is required. Almost go for Trez too. Aaron Hughes another one, mr average but reliable at the back.

overrated - as suggested , defo Delph. Not sure what he does in midfield and only quality you see is when he crack in from 25 yards, but that in itself it’s very rare. Another one who I’m not sure what he does in midfield, Andy tactic truck Townsend. 

• Like 1

I'd have to think a while about my vote for most overrated, but for most underrated...it goes back a while...Garry Parker. (1991-95 for the youngsters.) He could pass a ball. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I seem to remember that he fell out with Big Fat Ron and had a hard time getting a game once we got Andy Townsend. I think Houghton, Richardson, Daley, and Townsend became the regulars in midfield.

• Like 1

Â