Your Most Underrated and Overrated Villa Player of All Time

Big Salad

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I love him but I always guiltily feel that there’s been a bit of revisionism with regards to Ugo’s Villa career since his passing. I always thought he was ok but ultimately bang average for us. He definitely had good moments for us but I always mainly remember him messing up all the time. Mellberg was on another planet performance wise to Ugo and I find it utterly bizarre anyone would rank it the other way round. As for Southgate, as much as I dislike him I can’t deny he was excellent for us.

What?!? Ugo and Southgate were both great defenders.

• Like 3

Underrated: Julian Joachim without a doubt. Had to mainly play second fiddle to some big names whilst at the club (Yorke, Collymore, Savo, Carbone, Dublin), but always held his own and scored a fair few.

Also need to mention Mark Delaney. Outside of the club no one will give him a second thought but he was very reliable and was Mr Consistent for well over 100 appearances. A 7/8 out of 10 player every game. 

Overrated: Firstly, Jordan Bowery. Absolutely won the lottery when he signed for us. Now someone at the club at the time thought he was worth a punt but I don’t think I’ve seen a worse player wear our shirt and someone so out of his depth.

Finally, Charles N’Zogbia. Huge fee, huge 5 year contract and terrible attitude by all accounts. Rarely performed and must have cost the club millions. What were we thinking?

4 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Underrated - Sid Cowans, probably the best ball deliverer I've seen in aa Villa shirt and a national disgrace being overlooked by England. 

Underrated outside B6, sure. Underrated by Villa supporters? I've never heard anyone be less than worshipful.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes Platt was fantastic. Even the season under Vengloss when the team were dire and he missed a lot of the season yet he still managed 24 goals from midfield. He was never given the credit for England dispite scoring 28 goals, probably because he was Taylor's prodigy. One of the few players that exported well to Italy. Yes he was world class and one of Villas greats. 

David Platt was a great player no doubt. What he said about Sid Cowans was probably one of the best compliments I’ve heard from a fellow player. Not a word for word quote but something along the lines, “My biggest ambition when I was at Villa, was to make a run that Sid Cowans couldn’t spot. I never managed it.”

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

David Platt was a great player no doubt. What he said about Sid Cowans was probably one of the best compliments I’ve heard from a fellow player. Not a word for word quote but something along the lines, “My biggest ambition when I was at Villa, was to make a run that Sid Cowans couldn’t spot. I never managed it.”

Never knew whether Sid was right footed or left footed. Guess he favoured the right but equally good with his left. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Underrated: Julian Joachim without a doubt. Had to mainly play second fiddle to some big names whilst at the club (Yorke, Collymore, Savo, Carbone, Dublin), but always held his own and scored a fair few.

Also need to mention Mark Delaney. Outside of the club no one will give him a second thought but he was very reliable and was Mr Consistent for well over 100 appearances. A 7/8 out of 10 player every game. 

Overrated: Firstly, Jordan Bowery. Absolutely won the lottery when he signed for us. Now someone at the club at the time thought he was worth a punt but I don’t think I’ve seen a worse player wear our shirt and someone so out of his depth.

Finally, Charles N’Zogbia. Huge fee, huge 5 year contract and terrible attitude by all accounts. Rarely performed and must have cost the club millions. What were we thinking?

I don't think either of those two would be considered overrated by Villa supporters.  We'll all universally tell you they were garbage.  Bowery was a peanut signing and N'Somnia was garbage from the jump.  

Overrated - This is controversial, really controversial, and will probably get me some hate but...Stiliyan Petrov. I never thought he was anything other than bang average at best. Were it not for his illness, I think he would have been forgotten in a heartbeat. Not that I'm not very glad he pulled through as he seems a very nice chap.

Underrated - Mark Bosnich. His name rarely, if ever, gets mentioned on here when the discussion of great past players comes up, even when it's the mid 90s side being discussed. He was bloody brilliant for a number of years and got us to the 94 cup final virtually single handedly. Were it not for his personal problems, he would have gone down as one of the all time great Premier League keepers IMO

• Like 3

Although the personal problems didn't help, what did for Bosnich was timing. Had he have been playing at a time other than when the back pass rule was being introduced his huge flaw would not have been exposed. Every other part of his game were top quality and for two or so years at Villa he was top quality. However, as the focus on goalkeeping changed he severe limitations as a footballer stopped him progressing further than he may have done even 10-15 years earlier.

7 hours ago, regular_john said:

Overrated - This is controversial, really controversial, and will probably get me some hate but...Stiliyan Petrov. I never thought he was anything other than bang average at best. Were it not for his illness, I think he would have been forgotten in a heartbeat. Not that I'm not very glad he pulled through as he seems a very nice chap.

Underrated - Mark Bosnich. His name rarely, if ever, gets mentioned on here when the discussion of great past players comes up, even when it's the mid 90s side being discussed. He was bloody brilliant for a number of years and got us to the 94 cup final virtually single handedly. Were it not for his personal problems, he would have gone down as one of the all time great Premier League keepers IMO

It's only controversial because of the revisionist history over his performances after his illness was announced.  Petrov got more stick from the fans than any other midfielder during his time at Villa.  I remember posts on VT and Vital calling him "The Cruyff Turn Crab" who only passes the ball sideways and wasn't "physical enough" to be a good DM.  After his leukemia announcement, he was suddenly everyone's favorite player and a legend.  As a player, my opinion on Stan is similar to yours.  Bang average for his position in that era of football.  I was gutted to hear about illness, hoped for his recovery, and was extremely happy to see him overcome it.  He's been a good ambassador for the club since and seems a good dude, but it still doesn't change the fact that he was an average footballer for us.  

I think people get carried away by a player's exploits after they have left Villa and it potentially can tarnish their reputation.

But, there is no way David Platt should be overrated, he was World Class.

I was fortunate to still be living in Brum and going to practically every Villa match when he was with us. I loved him. Check his goalscoring record for us 68 goals in 145 appearances as a MIDFIELDER!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think people get carried away by a player's exploits after they have left Villa and it potentially can tarnish their reputation.

But, there is no way David Platt should be overrated, he was World Class.

I was fortunate to still be living in Brum and going to practically every Villa match when he was with us. I loved him. Check his goalscoring record for us 68 goals in 145 appearances as a MIDFIELDER!

Never get another box to box midfielder like him 

• Like 1

On 28/10/2021 at 17:35, VillanousOne said:

Delaney was quality but had a knack for rushing at shots with his hands raised, so many penalties...

I remember one game he actually had his back to the ball and someone blasted it at his hand - penalty given by one David Elleray. Him and Uriah Rennie were two of the worst officials in football history.

Well, until the current crop of cumpuddles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

David Elleray. Him and Uriah Rennie were two of the worst officials in football history.

Rennie started off brilliantly, then it seemed like the praise he rightfully got went to his head and he became a much worse ref as a result. Elleray was just a clearing in the woods.

Under rated player - maybe Shaun Teale. Over rated Steve Sidwell. Good shot on him, but essentially pretty crap otherwise.

Â