Your Most Underrated and Overrated Villa Player of All Time

Big Salad

18 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Does anyone even rate Gabby anymore? Pretty much everytime I've seen him mentioned nowadays is in a negative light.

He is one of the very few that I rate on this ;):

image.jpeg.7ae233db7fa5a5c2f6f1071cb3db7073.jpeg

55 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Was that Laursen (difficult to keep up with this thread). If so then I agree. IIRC he was injured a fair bit, but when fit he was outstanding. Not as much physically, but his ability to read situations. Not entirely unlike God. 

Mellberg was the better of the two for me. I loved Laursen's commitment and passion but Mellberg was a better defender.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mellberg was the better of the two for me. I loved Laursen's commitment and passion but Mellberg was a better defender.

mellberg was decent...not saying he wasn't. but IMO he doesn't get in this current team

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't believe people have Mellberg as overrated - quick, strong, good in the air, a decent leader, positionally good and iron willed - for me he's underrated and ought to be mentioned more often when people do these top ten Premier League centreback things - he was a Rolls Royce of a defender - underrated outside of Villa Park.

Mellberg was superb - for me, next best centre-back after McGrath in the time that I’ve been watching Villa.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

mellberg was decent...not saying he wasn't. but IMO he doesn't get in this current team

Really? I think Mellberg was far superior to anything we've got currently. 

He left on a free to Juventus. Would a team like that have any interest in Konza or Mings? I'm not so sure they would. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrSmirch said:

Underrated? Lowton

Overrated? Douglas Luiz

No doubt DL is v good on his day but people are far too blinkered just because he’s Brazilian.

DL is 22 yrs old. How about let him have a career before saying he is the most overrated of all time 🤣

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't believe people have Mellberg as overrated - quick, strong, good in the air, a decent leader, positionally good and iron willed - for me he's underrated and ought to be mentioned more often when people do these top ten Premier League centreback things - he was a Rolls Royce of a defender - underrated outside of Villa Park.

Had to play in some abhorrent sides too.

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I always thought Lowton was underrated and Westwood got far more stick than he deserved.  Milner as a winger was overrated, I used to get pissed off when he'd cross it straight at the arse of the defender 2 yards from him but he was much better when through the middle.

I always liked Lowton, even if 90% of that is his goal against Stoke and his performance against Sunderland.

My view on Westwood is he didn’t merit anywhere near as much debate as was generated on here. He didn’t deserve ALL the stick he received (some was fair), but he also didn’t warrant too much of a defence (again, some of it was fair).

It was no doubt quite the jump up from League One (League Two, really) and I think he would have benefited from being used as more of a squad player than a permanent fixture in the starting XI in a struggling team. He’s still playing in the top flight now, so he’s not like Jordan Bowery or someone.

And alright, “Burnley’s Player of the Season” isn’t exactly the Ballon d’or but it’s not nothing either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slowandlow said:

Mellberg far better than our current options but still overrated a tad for me. Not on ugo or southgates level let alone mcgrath

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

Platt rarely gets a mention on here because by all accounts he's an arse, but he was really one of the best players in the world when he left for Bari. 

Yes Platt was fantastic. Even the season under Vengloss when the team were dire and he missed a lot of the season yet he still managed 24 goals from midfield. He was never given the credit for England dispite scoring 28 goals, probably because he was Taylor's prodigy. One of the few players that exported well to Italy. Yes he was world class and one of Villas greats. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slowandlow said:

Mellberg far better than our current options but still overrated a tad for me. Not on ugo or southgates level let alone mcgrath

I love him but I always guiltily feel that there’s been a bit of revisionism with regards to Ugo’s Villa career since his passing. I always thought he was ok but ultimately bang average for us. He definitely had good moments for us but I always mainly remember him messing up all the time. Mellberg was on another planet performance wise to Ugo and I find it utterly bizarre anyone would rank it the other way round. As for Southgate, as much as I dislike him I can’t deny he was excellent for us.

Edited by Ingram85

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thinking back you are right. He was a top defender. Would have loved to have seen a partnership of him and Laursen instead of him pushed out right. You don’t sign for Juventus unless you’re a top player. 

Laursen was in my opinion at least the best defender we have had since God retired, but only if you removed the time he was injured or recovering from injury. Bouma was awesome, when he played, which wasn't for very long.

Mellberg was awesome as long as he had the beard, if he shaved it he was awful. I remember some real clangers from him, even worse than Mings. I think longterm Konsa will prove to be better than Mellberg was. 

Delaney was quality but had a knack for rushing at shots with his hands raised, so many penalties...

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I love him but I always guiltily feel that there’s been a bit of revisionism with regards to Ugo’s Villa career since his passing. I always thought he was ok but ultimately bang average for us. He definitely had good moments for us but I always mainly remember him messing up all the time. Mellberg was on another planet performance wise to Ugo and I find it utterly bizarre anyone would rank it the other way round. As for Southgate, as much as I dislike him I can’t deny he was excellent for us.

No revisionism from me. I had a preference for ugo over southgate to be honest. Should have been at euro 96 and should have been in the England squads ahead of Rio ferdinand up to about 2000/2001 ish

• Like 2

Â