Your Most Underrated and Overrated Villa Player of All Time

Big Salad

1 hour ago, sne said:

Wilfred Bouma on both.

Underrated when he played and more and more overrated the longer he was out injured.

That was Luke Young 😉

We released him and then he played in the Euros while we signed Joe Bennett 

• Like 1

Underrated: Dion Dublin. He scored 48 goals for Villa, more than the likes of JPA, Benteke and Carew. He was an elite finisher in his time. 

Overrated: Hitzlsperger, remembered fondly for his thunderous strikes, but he really didn’t score that many. 8 goals in total. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Underrated: Ugo R.I.P & Southgate 

Overrated: Milner & Petrov

Milner is definitely high up the list. One good season that was it. Was ok in his loan spell and didnt do much in his first season after re-signing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I am now going to run for cover but I always thought Ian Taylor was a bit over-rated!

No need to run for cover. We'll let you live since you said "a bit." 🙂

Seriously, I don't remember anyone overrating him back in the 1990s. People loved him because he grew up a supporter, gave his best for the club, and occasionally scored a big goal like in the 1996 League Cup final. He was certainly competent but nobody thought he was a superstar. Don't confused being loved with being thought of as a great player.

• Like 2

How players are judged is affected by how they leave the club.

Underated 

Gareth Barry in 9 seasons was as talented as any player we have had in the last 30 years.He contributed more to us due to his longevity than many many players who are now lorded.The only player in my time who trumps him massively is Sir Sidney Cowans who is not and has never been underated.

Might include El Mohammadly not as talented or long but underrated.

Overated

Djemba Djemba not really overated but without doubt the worst footballer that has ever kicked a ball in the West Midlands and that is saying a lot.

• Like 2

Underrated:

Lee Hendrie. He was far better for us than he was given credit for.

Alpay. Took us years to replace him.

Overrated:

Steve Staunton. People thought he was wonderful, but on the ball he makes Hause look like Pele. I winced every time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Milner is definitely high up the list. One good season that was it. Was ok in his loan spell and didnt do much in his first season after re-signing

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. He was our best player when he was sold for what was a very large amount of money at the time, and went on to be an important part of teams that have won the biggest trophies going. At 35, he's still playing regularly for one of the top teams in Europe.

• Like 4

some good shouts so I'll go for something different:

Overrated: Merson (went missing in too many big games)

Laursen (not particularly good on the ball)

McGrath (nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, only kidding....)

Underrated: Lee Hendrie - we've had some great players playing for us but Hendrie gets criminally overlooked. Was a great Villa player for a good number of seasons.

• Shocked 1

8 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Might include El Mohammadly not as talented or long but underrated.

tainted by bruceball for me, the 17 passes along the back 4 before elmo hoofed it in to the space down the line for an attacker to chase down

i **** hated watching him play but it wasnt all his fault

50 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. He was our best player when he was sold for what was a very large amount of money at the time, and went on to be an important part of teams that have won the biggest trophies going. At 35, he's still playing regularly for one of the top teams in Europe.

I dont care about what he has done at other clubs, I am judging his Villa career. Out of 3 seasons he had 1 good one

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't believe people have Mellberg as overrated - quick, strong, good in the air, a decent leader, positionally good and iron willed - for me he's underrated and ought to be mentioned more often when people do these top ten Premier League centreback things - he was a Rolls Royce of a defender - underrated outside of Villa Park.

you can say he's very good but also be overrated at the same time. he is given iconic status with sections of the fanbase to the extent that there were multiple calls for him to be our manager when bruce went. but i think all 3 of our CBs (the ones owned by us) are better than him. our current RB is better too

Â