Energy Bills

Genie

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

A lot of houses like mine have no cavities to fill so when the roof's done that pretty much it. 

I asked my dad about before central heating etc. Answer was blankets and lots of em, and a hot water bottle! 

Have you considered external insulation like this?

External-wall-insulation-before-after.pn

On 18/03/2022 at 19:19, bickster said:

Coal fires

My nan's house in Mere Green didn't have central heating. She had a coal fire in the living room and dining room, and three bar electric heaters in the bedroom if your were lucky. I remember staying there for Christmas and the insides of the windows being all frozen up in the morning.

Just now, Risso said:

My nan's house in Mere Green didn't have central heating. She had a coal fire in the living room and dining room, and three bar electric heaters in the bedroom if your were lucky. I remember staying there for Christmas and the insides of the windows being all frozen up in the morning.

My granddads house had a coal fire in the living room and a Rayburn (posh coal fire - with glass front) eventually in the front room which he typically refused to use unless it was Xmas

He used to cook in the oven at the sie of the coal fire and wouldn't use the electric cooker unless he had to

Kettles we boiled on the fire, toast was made on the fire. Vegetables were boiled in pans on swivelling platforms attached to the fire

Electricity was for TV and lighting

He'd even keep the fire "In" all night by banking it up over night with coal dust

Good job as an ex-miner he didn't actually pay for the coal

The house was rarely cold being a terrace full of people in exactly the same mindset

31 minutes ago, Risso said:

I've got five kids mate, a two bedroom apartment isn't going to cut it!

:D

Invest in wooly hats :) 

57 minutes ago, Risso said:

That 3 bar heater now would cost about a tenner, if you had it on for 2 hours, 5 days a week.

That's another £40 a month someone has to find.

(Also not including your standing charges).

29 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

That 3 bar heater now would cost about a tenner, if you had it on for 2 hours, 5 days a week.

That's another £40 a month someone has to find.

(Also not including your standing charges).

So F****** dangerous too! There was one on the wall above the bath when we moved into the house we are in now. Was all proper original

On 18/03/2022 at 18:39, sidcow said:

I think that log burners are going to see big sales over the next few months in preparation for next winter. 

I had one put in last October and glad I did. Turned my heating right down or off and just heat the living room on logs I've "acquired".

We had our cavity walls refilled as when we had the windows changed it all poured down onto the ground as there were no cavity closers fitted !! , we also had the loft insulation topped up you can do this quite easily yourself if on a budget , I’ve got to say the difference in the house for retaining heat is huge , we have 4 bedrooms upstairs and only have the towel rail radiator in the bathroom on up there as it’s that warm since the jobs were done , had a multi fuel stove fitted in the lounge about 3 years ago and out of all the new kitchen ,new bathrooms etc the stove has been our best investment ,we have put a heat activated fan on the top of it to help blow the heat around the downstairs 

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

We had 2 big conifers taken down in January. I would have kept them and had tbem chopped up for futures use if I'd have known! 

You don't want to burn that softwood 

6 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

You don't want to burn that softwood 

Yeah, I know you've got to let it dry out for years.  It was never really an option.

Got excited when I saw Solar Panels and Heat Pumps were going VAT free.  Then found out they are already only at 5% VAT anyway so whilst handy it's nothing revolutionary. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Got excited when I saw Solar Panels and Heat Pumps were going VAT free.  Then found out they are already only at 5% VAT anyway so whilst handy it's nothing revolutionary. 

I looked on some website and depending on the size of your roof , it would take about 20 years to break even with the solar panels and the savings it produces  (could be old data though )

which I guess is part of the flaw , as I suppose it should really be measured by how many "How dare you'" you'd get from Greta a year rather than monetary value .... 

On 20/03/2022 at 19:20, Risso said:

I've got five kids mate, a two bedroom apartment isn't going to cut it!

I'll be disappointed if you don't call the next one Sixtus

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I looked on some website and depending on the size of your roof , it would take about 20 years to break even with the solar panels and the savings it produces  (could be old data though )

which I guess is part of the flaw , as I suppose it should really be measured by how many "How dare you'" you'd get from Greta a year rather than monetary value .... 

I would say that's definitely old data

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I think it was down to 12 years before this years increases in energy prices.  Must be down to around 8 years by now with current prices.

Â