Energy Bills

Genie

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

This is from Tamworth services earlier this morning.

May be an image of text that says "Pence per litre 189,8 TOKHEIM QUALTTY Supreme Diesel Unleaded 95 5.9 Supremet 99 0 eCLOI points here SEE BEFORE THAT INDICATOR IS AT ZERO MINIMUM DELIVERY COMMENCES 2 LITRES DELIVERY nectar"

Not sure what's its like up in the Midlands, down by me, when I filled up, the local ESSO diesel was 23p a litre more expensive than the local Tesco.

• Shocked 1

I remember when they used to show prices in Gallons , I remember seeing it at £1.70 Now its £1.70 a litre and here's the shocking part, diesel is more expensive than petrol though much cheaper to refine. Again profiteering off supply and demand.

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It would seem likely that you would need to nationalise the power industry to introduce price controls,

Agreed

and that cheap reliable energy would mean compromising Green aspirations.

At present energy is rationed by price and so a system of rationing would need to be introduced.

The industrial revolution was only made possible by cheap energy - expensive energy promises to have the reverse affect.

I don't agree here, though. The cheapest sources of energy are the Green ones. At present energy is only rationed by price if/where it is unaffordable for people or businesses. More realistically usage is determined by operational or personal needs.

I think there was rather more than the availability of cheap energy that drove or made possible the Industrial revolution.

Green taxes have risen by 40% since Johnson took power and I expect his predicted take of over £16bn by 2024, is a massive underestimation.

Is that right? Seems at odds with what I thought were Tory principles. Do you have a source?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Green taxes have risen by 40% since Johnson took power and I expect his predicted take of over £16bn by 2024, is a massive underestimation.

Is that right? Seems at odds with what I thought were Tory principles. Do you have a source?

Correction - Johnson's Green taxes are set to increase by 40%, not as above - apologies.

https://www.cityam.com/uks-green-tax-burden-to-increase-by-40-per-cent-during-johnsons-premiership/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Correction - Johnson's Green taxes are set to increase by 40%, not as above - apologies.

https://www.cityam.com/uks-green-tax-burden-to-increase-by-40-per-cent-during-johnsons-premiership/

"The TaxPayers’ Alliance calculates" was enough for me. They're a tad ideological for my liking

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mrchnry said:

I passed my test in 2015 as it was bang on £1 a litre. 

Yeah, it peaked in 2012 and then dropped a fair bit. Can't remember why!

I think it was c80p when i started driving

vHzrztr.png

6 hours ago, bickster said:

I once had an American in the car as a passenger just around the time that the petrol price just hit £1 a litre for the first time

He announced to me "Jesus H Christ if fuel ever hit that price per gallon in the US there'd be a revolution" I then had to tell him that the price of a gallon was 4.55 times the price displayed

He was genuinely speechless for a short while

I hope you then didn't tell him we use different size gallons to him! :) 

• Haha 1

On 06/03/2022 at 17:12, bickster said:

Announcement by who? The government? I don’t imagine that’s remotely true to be honest.

Why would they hold a press conference just to say “Suck it up!”

I'm guessing today's announcement about the banning of Russian oil is what it was about as there are now queues for the cheaper petrol station by me. 

Yeah the Daily Mail are reporting 'big queues' at supermarkets. 

To be honest, i'd rather pay 20p more and not queue for 30 mins! 

• Like 1

The upcoming gas/electric price increase was a bit of an abstract concept to me (knew it was coming and was going to bite but didn’t seem tangible) - had the numbers through from the energy company today and it got pretty real, gonna be having to find an extra £50 a month (no idea how this compares to other households, if it’s relatively good or bad etc.). Grim and is only going to get tougher, with council tax increase and continually rising petrol prices etc. 

5 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Hahaha! My electric car isn't costing me any more to run. Hahahaha!

Reveal hidden contents

.... yet ....

😩

Oh yes guess the guy who gets his electric car in April just after the new price cap.  Just hoping the BIK pays the new bill.

On 08/03/2022 at 15:31, blandy said:

The cheapest sources of energy are the Green ones. A

don't you tend to get the benefits of this long term though ..and governments by and large can only think in short term  ?

The Uk govt scrapped the Swansea tidal lagoon due to the cost ,  the excuse was that by 2050 it would cost £20bn more than a wind and nuclear combined project , presumably that same cost exercise carried out now would show a different figure ? as technology moves us ever further forward  (there is now the Blue Eden project which seems to be proposing to build  a variant of it ? )

its yankee $ data but in 1956,the cost of one watt of solar capacity was $1,825 , now estimated to be  $.70 per watt  , 85% of that drop in cost has happened in the last decade 

• Like 2

Â