January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

12 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Well lets hope it works out, i just feel there are others who we could scope out better suited to that position, ive read enough on him to feel uncomfortable about the decision sometimes you get that gut feeling and have to follow it

Finally, it depends on what you’ve read and the source of it.

I wouldn’t place too much value on the opinions of a few disgruntled Juventus fans on a message board.

We’re not at the same level as a Juventus either and don’t have the same, immediate aspirations. I hope we eventually will but that’s going to take time and patience along with a well thought out strategy.

This is a good article, for instance. Quite encouraging:

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/QwCeps0MX0uah6cq87S5Tw/Show/Who-is-Rodrigo-Bentancur-The-missing-piece-to-the-Aston-Villa-midfield

I don’t necessarily disagree with the notion that there are other/better options out there but there are many factors to consider such as cost and interest of the player… transfers are rarely easy and straightforward, especially for higher class targets

35 minutes ago, RicRic said:

So newcastle signing Guimaraes and we’re signing Bentancur 😕 bloody hell we may aswell stick with Luiz 

Guimaraes less caps for Brazil than Wesley,  Bentancur is better value , Moving to Newcastle at 23 is the equivalent of chasing the money moving to a team in the Chinese league, he’s no better than Oscar, Paulinho and Hulk.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would suspect that he remains on full salary if they are relegated

That would be Basil Faulty meets Del Boy as he haggles over the price of a Ford Cortina with Arthur Daley level of funny. Please make the happen. 🤣

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

laughing out loud

Sadly this is just confirmation that he's joining Newcastle. Aulas, the CEO, has done this at least twice before with Ndombele and Mendy and both were sold a few days later. Something to do with share prices probably.

• Like 2

Anyone else getting worried about our centre back cover? 

We've lost Tuanzebe in an area we're already light in. Don't seem to be close to getting anyone in. 

Are we going to rely on the U23's? 

How often has Hause actually played? He's 3rd choice and he's not even played 5 games for us has he? I'd just repurpose either a midfielder or a full back in for an emergency game or use the kids for one or two games. That said the way we're going I guess we probably will get someone in anyway, but I don't think it's critical. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We've lost Tuanzebe in an area we're already light in. Don't seem to be close to getting anyone in. 

I think we'll get somebody in. Probably waiting for domino's to fall.

There is always a considerable risk signing players from foreign leagues and in particular Ligue 1, look at ndombele and more recently a villatalk and twitter darling in Soumare at Leicester who has been by all accounts terrible.

The upside is you could get a gem for considerably cheaper than a proven prem player.

I wouldn't swap Luiz for Guimaraes and Luiz with a new deal is a 30m player all day long in this market.

My preference would be for proven quantities like Bissouma if we're serious about moving up a level again, if he's not in budget then Bentancur is as good a bet as you'll get in a foreign market - Good age, regular starter for a CL and international teams with good pedigree.

If we can't land our preferred targets in this window Id rather we spend in the summer instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

lol

Apparently Lyon are listed on the stock exchange, which means some decisions like this need to be at first made public to the market and they can't be seen to hold information back from the market which could impact their share price, for a variety of reasons.

Likely mean it'll still happen but Lyon have to legally protect themselves with a statement like this and then can announce it properly to the market.

Shame. Would've liked Rich Newcastle to be as much of a shambles as Poor Newcastle.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

Maybe midfield will end up like this next season then! 😮

Bentancur       Bissouma

McGinn/JJ

At least one of Sanson , Luiz & Nakamba would be sold in that case…

I like our midfielders and don’t think we’ve seen the very best of them but that would be a very powerful and dominant set up…

Trust in SG I guess…

Edited by Jas10

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Losing Tuanzebe made me feel less worried

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe midfield will end up like this next season then! 😮

Bentancur       Bissouma

McGinn/JJ

At least one of Sanson , Luiz & Nakamba would be sold in that case…

I like our midfielders and don’t think we’ve seen the very best of them but that would be a very powerful and dominant set up…

Trust in SG I guess…

We're sticking with midfield 3 a la Liverpool. No CDM in front of back 4 probably not a double pivot. Everything points to 4321 and Bentancur plays on right side of middle 3 for Uruguay so that's not surprising he's a target