January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Just now, Mazrim said:

Yeah, we started shit. Looking a lot better now.

As harsh as it may seem, we're probably not going to finish in the top 6 with a midfield 3 of Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey. That means we need to improve in this area. 
I took the clubs comments on Luiz this week as a sure sign that he is probably going to leave. The fact they talk about him being able to go up a gear or two and not discussing a contract yet highlights that he isn't a key player for them. 

I like Luiz, I think he's a tidy no.6, and I think he will get better, but we shouldn't be scared about selling players for top dollar and not improving. The people running this club are not idiots. That goes for McGinn too (I really like McGinn). If an offer of £50m+ came in for him, we can improve by taking the money and reinvesting. These players aren't Jack Grealish, there are better out there that I believe we could attract.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

transfer market been a bit slow in general. Starting to think football clubs are more like me than I ever knew and they are waiting til payday tomorrow so they can start spending again. January has been a looong month

I think most clubs have probably got their best negotiators working on deals to sort their energy bills out.

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We're not going to finish top 6 if we sell 23 year old Brazil internationals to some shithouse Premier League rival before they have a chance to play in their natural position and years before there in their prime either.

If we got a £50m bid for McGinn I'd bite their hand off, and I don't want to lose him either. But I'd keep Luiz if I had a choice of the 2.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't see him as an 8 at all. I don't think he's dynamic enough. I feel as though the 6 role suits him more. (could be completely wrong). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As harsh as it may seem, we're probably not going to finish in the top 6 with a midfield 3 of Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey. That means we need to improve in this area. 
I took the clubs comments on Luiz this week as a sure sign that he is probably going to leave. The fact they talk about him being able to go up a gear or two and not discussing a contract yet highlights that he isn't a key player for them. 

I like Luiz, I think he's a tidy no.6, and I think he will get better, but we shouldn't be scared about selling players for top dollar and not improving. The people running this club are not idiots. That goes for McGinn too (I really like McGinn). If an offer of £50m+ came in for him, we can improve by taking the money and reinvesting. These players aren't Jack Grealish, there are better out there that I believe we could attract.

I don’t agree with this in it’s entirety, but the basic principle of “everyone has a price” and few players are irreplaceable is correct. I think that possibly some players are more valuable to us because of what they give overall to the spirit of the squad and how they’re view by both us as fans and the outside world. The drawing a line with some player as far as retaining them can sometimes send out a message. I’m probably thinking more of SJM, rather than perhaps someone like Dougie in this respect. 

As you say, we’re well run now and selling our better players because we were bullied into it and replacing them with, on the whole,  inferior players, are hopefully now largely a thing of the past. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We're not going to finish top 6 if we sell 23 year old Brazil internationals to some shithouse Premier League rival before they have a chance to play in their natural position and years before there in their prime either.

If we got a £50m bid for McGinn I'd bite their hand off, and I don't want to lose him either. But I'd keep Luiz if I had a choice of the 2.

For whatever reason Gerrard has implied that Dougie isn’t giving it 100% and the club hasn’t opened new contract negotiations with him. SG won’t tolerate passengers so any squad member trying to coast will get potted in short order. If the manager wants to replace Luiz with Bentancur, or Boubacar Kamara, or Glen Kamara (!) that’s fine with me. He wants to win and knows how to do it.

Edited by Awol

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Fair enough. Personally, I don't see him as an 8 at all. I don't think he's dynamic enough. I feel as though the 6 role suits him more. (could be completely wrong). 

I'm the same. I appreciate what people are saying re: the Man City performance in that more advanced position, but I'd need to see a bigger sample size first because as far as I'm concerned he's played in both positions for Villa and his best, most consistent performances have been as a 6.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

For whatever reason Gerrard has implied that Dougie isn’t giving it 100% and the club hasn’t opened new contract negotiations with him. There’s no passengers on SG’a Villa bus so any squad member trying to coast will get potted in short order. If the manager wants to replace Luiz with Bentancur, or Boubacar Kamara, or Glen Kamara (!) that’s fine with me. He wants to win and knows how to do it.

Has he? I think that's a reach. He's suggested that he's done OK and there's more to come (naturally, he's 23) and that he's been filling in at 6 when he'd rather play 8.

He does need replacing at 6. I don't agree that means he leaves though as he's cover for that position, plus easily worth considering for one of the other 2 8 positions. Especially when one of the 8s has to help out the 6.

I know Gerrard knows what he's doing. I'm not sure where this notion of not giving it 100% has come from though. If that we're the case, I massively doubt he'd start him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Has he? I think that's a reach. He's suggested that he's done OK and there's more to come (naturally, he's 23) and that he's been filling in at 6 when he'd rather play 8.

He does need replacing at 6. I don't agree that means he leaves though as he's cover for that position, plus easily worth considering for one of the other 2 8 positions. Especially when one of the 8s has to help out the 6.

I know Gerrard knows what he's doing. I'm not sure where this notion of not giving it 100% has come from though. If that we're the case, I massively doubt he'd start him.

Reading between the lines that’s what I take ‘he’s done okay’ and ‘he’s got one or two more gears to go’ to mean, in the context of not having opened contract negotiations. They’re small hints, but I think they are hints. 

I’m happy for him to stay and fight for the 8 spot too, but if by Monday night it’s Bentancur & B Kamara in, with Dougie out.. that’s a great trade. 

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Reading between the lines that’s what I take ‘he’s done okay’ and ‘he’s got one or two more gears to go’ to mean, in the context of not having opened contract negotiations. They’re small hints, but I think they are hints. 

I’m happy for him to stay and fight for the 8 spot too, but if by Monday night it’s Bentancur & B Kamara in, with Dougie out.. that’s a great trade. 

Both of them in and Luiz out? Yeah, I'd take that. Nakamba would be a bit miffed mind.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Both of them in and Luiz out? Yeah, I'd take that. Nakamba would be a bit miffed mind.

Marv is just happy to be here. Smashing bloke by all accounts and building Zimbabwe’s most impressive pension pot. More power to him, I say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 26/01/2022 at 13:06, Jas10 said:

I don’t think we should overlook the initial impact Barkley had for us… 

Yes, it didn’t work out for various reasons (including Covid and injuries, which hit us hard and badly disrupted our season).

We were flying at the start of that season, I refuse to ignore and forget thrashing Liverpool (never forget!) and Arsenal for instance.

That 7-2 was better than any orgasm 😝 we will never forget 👍🏽