January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Would make absolutely zero sense though as we have 2 CFs already and 2 more prospects in Chuk/Archer

To be honest, we’ve got to expect more unexpected.

I got laughed at when I suggested we might need another creative option this window and some said it makes no sense, we have loads in that position from Buendia, Bailey, Traoure, El Ghazi, Trez, Ings and Ollie plus all the youngsters, we have other priorities and then a couple of weeks later we sign Coutinho.  

This isn’t me having the big “told you so” it’s that Gerrard will have new fresh ideas and some current things we expect because of the last three years will change.  

I wouldn’t rule anything out under the new regime, maybe he’s already thinking of letting one or both of our strikers go, maybe in the summer.  I doubt it but new manager, new ideas.  

We also don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, we hear Archer going out on loan, Carney isn’t signing a new deal, rumblings about Ollie and Arsenal.

Like with the Coutinho deal, I’m not ruling anything out, I’m just going with the flow but I expect more unexpected things to happen.  Although I agree I don’t think the Suarez deal is a goer in the summer but there again if it did happen it wouldn’t surprise me either.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Ideal scenario. I know he has his fans but he is such a poor player, at least technically.

So many of our fans regard too many of our players (former ones too) as heroes but many of them simply don’t justify that status, imo.

The quality and consistency needs to be there, especially if we want to keep progressing.

Trez is just a shit player with good attitude and workrate imo. That may sound harsh to some but I’m just being honest from my POV. I don’t want us to carry poor players any more… I’ve run out of patience tbh. That pathetic dive didn’t help either.

Can appreciate what the likes of El Ghazi and Trez have done for us in the past (Anwar won us that POF) but we can’t and shouldn’t live on memories. It’s all about moving onwards and upwards, no more passengers…

People prefer players that are shit and have a good attitude rather than reverse. Players like Barkley who have great ability and zero application were a disgrace

• Like 1

I think it is very unlikely we will go for another attacking player this window.

Bailey, Ings, Buendia & Coutinho are all new to the club and are still adjusting. You have to give them all time to prove themselves.

Watkins & Traore are both still fairly new to the club as well and are adapting to playing with new players.

Archer may well go out on loan, but Young and Barry are back at the club (possibly going back on loan at some point)

It makes zero sense right now. Maybe we will see some changes in the Summer window. But right now we have more pressing issues.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

People prefer players that are shit and have a good attitude rather than reverse. Players like Barkley who have great ability and zero application were a disgrace

I prefer players that have both ability and application 🤣

Martinez & Watkins as two examples.

I expect the majority of our existing players to hold that status or be held in that regard tbh, most of them are likeable and work hard. We have a lot of talent in the squad too.

Just need to keep improving it.

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

I prefer players that have both ability and application 🤣

Martinez & Watkins as two examples.

I expect the majority of our existing players to hold that status or be held in that regard tbh, most of them are likeable and work hard. We have a lot of talent in the squad too.

Just need to keep improving it.

Of course everybody does 😂😂😂 but sadly Villa last 10 years rarely had that type of player until now

Its why players like Trez or Hutton are treated well by the fans

• Haha 1

Trez going back to Turkey makes sense. We have plenty of options in midfield and he needs game time to get back to fitness. Probably a loan with a view to buy in the summer. He works hard but lacks the quality in all honesty. The Leicester goal in the cup was immense though, good times.

17 minutes ago, John said:

WE signed him from Kasımpaşa. Agreed a win win for all concerned, my only concern is that they may be looking to loan him only. 

Tbf, we seem to see the link to Besiktas or Galatasaray at least twice each season… 

It hasn’t materialised so far… I really hope this is the time. 

Players like Trez have been with us long enough to see that they aren’t going to get that much better or contribute much to us. Nakamba seems to be the exception though.

Davis?

• Like 1

On 12/01/2022 at 16:03, Aston_Villan4 said:

That’s kind of obvious considering Jack was the team. Everything was built around him so naturally the team would look lost without him.

General question to others though. Why do people feel Bailey is now unfit for the side? Why would he need to convert to a 10?

I don't feel Bailey is unfit for the side, just because of his style......The only thing that makes  him unfit for the side....is form or fitness.

Good players can adapt and if they have the talent, desire, workrate and will.....it allows a manager to tweak formations to meet the requirements of the opposition.

A talented, fired up, oven ready, Bailey.....can make a place his own.....its all down to him.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tbf, we seem to see the link to Besiktas or Galatasaray at least twice each season… 

It hasn’t materialised so far… I really hope this is the time. 

Players like Trez have been with us long enough to see that they aren’t going to get that much better or contribute much to us. Nakamba seems to be the exception though.

Davis?

Davis is in the last chance saloon at Forest. He looks like he has it all in his locker, other than scoring goals and being able to stay injury free/shake off injuries. He now has the opportunity to show that he can add goals to his game playing for a decent team in the Championship and go on to become a late developer here or somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, John said:

Davis is in the last chance saloon at Forest. He looks like he has it all in his locker, other than scoring goals and being able to stay injury free/shake off injuries. He now has the opportunity to show that he can add goals to his game playing for a decent team in the Championship and go on to become a late developer here or somewhere else. 

Am I missing something, I really haven’t seen this “got it all in his locker” ability from KD. Only thing I’ve seen from him is that he’s a big lump that is a nuisance for defenders. When it comes to kicking a football, such as passing, dribbling and shooting He’s far below the standard 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think we will get him. He has his heart set on a move to Norwich, they don't have much cash but he will probably accept 10k a week to sign for them

I can think of a few posters i'd happily put on the transfer list.....possible let them go out on loan for a season to see if will sharpen them up a bit. naming no names of course:ph34r:

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I got laughed at when I suggested we might need another creative option this window and some said it makes no sense, we have loads in that position from Buendia, Bailey, Traoure, El Ghazi, Trez, Ings and Ollie plus all the youngsters, we have other priorities and then a couple of weeks later we sign Coutinho.  

This isn’t me having the big “told you so” it’s that Gerrard will have new fresh ideas and some current things we expect because of the last three years will change.  

I wouldn’t rule anything out under the new regime, maybe he’s already thinking of letting one or both of our strikers go, maybe in the summer.  I doubt it but new manager, new ideas.  

We also don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, we hear Archer going out on loan, Carney isn’t signing a new deal, rumblings about Ollie and Arsenal.

Like with the Coutinho deal, I’m not ruling anything out, I’m just going with the flow but I expect more unexpected things to happen.  Although I agree I don’t think the Suarez deal is a goer in the summer but there again if it did happen it wouldn’t surprise me either.

I agree with you the only caveat is that I think we all (you included) felt we still we lacked a quality left wide forward operator. So I don't think us signing a player for that position was that surprising, even if a player of Coutinho's status was a surprise. 

I don't see Suarez as realistic for two reasons. One we have lots of quality on the striker position, plus lots of prospects there coming through. Two, 34 is way too old for an outfield player to fit into our transfer policy. But a short term loan deal, or a 1 year contract free signing ( if we were to sell Ings or Ollie) might make sense.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Seriously though if we cannot make a Bissouma/Zakaria etc happen I'd take Emre Can or Wijnaldum(wages nah) until the summer.

Just give me a DM, a proper DM n I can shut up & relax! 🤣

The last thing we need is a CF, especially an ageing & overpaid one!

I would love for us to sign Alvarez though although he’s more of a versatile forward (so go get him! 🤣).

We really aren’t (as) desperate for any other players right now. Can take another look in the summer. Sort the DM and bring in CB cover, even on loan. 

Need to focus on winning as many games as possible before the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Rosk said:

Love Trez for what he did for us at crucial points in our fight to stay up but he's way behind the rest of the squad in terms of ability.  Would be great for all involved if he can go for a decent wedge.  I hope he isn't remembered for the pathetic dive vs Brentford as his "last act".

Do you? Do you really luuuuuurrrrve him? Why don’t you marry him? 🤣

Seriously though, he’s shit mate 😆

And yeah, that dive was absolutely pathetic and idiotic. Embarrassing.

20 minutes ago, John said:

He needs to move on and we need to move him on.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Am I missing something, I really haven’t seen this “got it all in his locker” ability from KD. Only thing I’ve seen from him is that he’s a big lump that is a nuisance for defenders. When it comes to kicking a football, such as passing, dribbling and shooting He’s far below the standard 

He isn't just big and strong, he has a good turn of pace, powerful runner with the ball at his feet, good first touch, he also strikes the ball well. For me he just needs to be smarter in front of goal. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I think it is very unlikely we will go for another attacking player this window.

Bailey, Ings, Buendia & Coutinho are all new to the club and are still adjusting. You have to give them all time to prove themselves.

Watkins & Traore are both still fairly new to the club as well and are adapting to playing with new players.

Archer may well go out on loan, but Young and Barry are back at the club (possibly going back on loan at some point)

It makes zero sense right now. Maybe we will see some changes in the Summer window. But right now we have more pressing issues.

CDM

I'll get my coat.................😍

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Its a matter of opinion. A few of us on here can see he that he has potential, but whether he can fulfil it or not, becomes increasingly unlikely as the seasons go by. Injuries have hampered his progress, as did the amount of first team games he was asked to play for us, when taking him out of the firing line would probably have benefited him, but as you say "he is a nuisance for defenders" and I think he holds the ball up well.  His distribution is not the worst and being "a big lump" can be a big advantage too...;) 

56 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes it is.........Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.😜

but yes you did suggest another creative talent.....I guess when such a prominent name becomes available, it hard to resist.

I guess the uncertainty over Bailey....has left some doubts on the left, hence the move too.

I can't tell you what, I want, its a secret🤣.....but I have a sly suspicion SG might do that too.

• Like 1