January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Todd Cantwell could be a cheeky buy in Jan. Norwich look like they are going down. Cantwell will have 18 months on his contract and if they get relegated and with only 12 months left he will leave for a very low fee. Maybe we could pick him up in Jan for 15m/20m. He would be another great addition of our squad and would seriously increase our strength in depth. Sanson was an opportunistic Jan purchase, maybe we will do it again. 

Our bench strength really showed tonight, improving on that can only be a good thing

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Todd Cantwell could be a cheeky buy in Jan. Norwich look like they are going down. Cantwell will have 18 months on his contract and if they get relegated and with only 12 months left he will leave for a very low fee. Maybe we could pick him up in Jan for 15m/20m. He would be another great addition of our squad and would seriously increase our strength in depth. Sanson was an opportunistic Jan purchase, maybe we will do it again. 

Our bench strength really showed tonight, improving on that can only be a good thing

Do you really think he’d add anything? I think he’d be far down the pecking order and unlikely to get any minutes even with a couple of injuries to others.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Do you really think he’d add anything? I think he’d be far down the pecking order and unlikely to get any minutes.

He is a quality player, only 23, had a brilliant playing relationship with Emi and has that something special about him. Without question he would improve our squad. If he is attainable at the right price he would be a great buy and has lots of potential to increase in value. Who knows? we may need extra depth for Europa Cup next season

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

He is a quality player, only 23, had a brilliant playing relationship with Emi and has that something special about him. Without question he would improve our squad. If he is attainable at the right price he would be a great buy and has lots of potential to increase in value. Who knows? we may need extra depth for Europa Cup next season

Fair enough! I just don’t see enough from him to warrant the investment. For me we have too many players ahead of him both first XI and in depth.

Manor Solomon is a great name  btw and a tenuous link today … think with Bailey Traore & JpB we are well stocked with AEG & Trez in reserve. 

My biggest area of concern is at CB where the strength in depth is limited 

I can't see any signing in Jan

In Summer we need to sign Axel a left back / left wing back to replace Young and a CDM to replace Nakamba. We also need Martinez to sign a new contract and we move on Trez and AEG if JPB keeps progressing as planned. Davis and Wesley out too if possible

29 minutes ago, thabucks said:

My biggest area of concern is at CB where the strength in depth is limited

are there many premier league teams with more than 4 senior CBs? I am happy to be corrected on this point.

I don’t think we will sign anybody this winter, unless there is a long term injury in the squad or other crisis. We are mindful of stockpiling players to keep wage bill down and give space for youth to progress.

Just now, Czarnikjak said:

are there many premier league teams with more than 4 senior CBs? I am happy to be corrected on this point.

I don’t think we will sign anybody this winter, unless there is a long term injury in the squad or other crisis. We are mindful of stockpiling players to keep wage bill down and give space for youth to progress.

Agreed, we sign Axel and take the 1 year option on Hause. We then should have Bogarde ready to take Hause place for start of 23/24 season

• Like 1

If Mings or Konsa suffer a dip in form or are Injured for any extended period of time then we have Hause & Axel…  hause is only a bit part player and axel is owned by Man Utd. Competition ensures complacency doesn’t set in and they continue to progress, also the shirt should be earned. Cannot see us signing one but as I said it is the one area of the squad I feel is a little light in quality. 

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

If Mings or Konsa suffer a dip in form or are Injured for any extended period of time then we have Hause & Axel…  hause is only a bit part player and axel is owned by Man Utd. Competition ensures complacency doesn’t set in and they continue to progress, also the shirt should be earned. Cannot see us signing one but as I said it is the one area of the squad I feel is a little light in quality. 

You don't tend to see many teams with 5 senior CB's though. The 5th choice should really be one of the U23's.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I can't see any signing in Jan

In Summer we need to sign Axel a left back / left wing back to replace Young and a CDM to replace Nakamba. We also need Martinez to sign a new contract and we move on Trez and AEG if JPB keeps progressing as planned. Davis and Wesley out too if possible

I'm not sure we'll sign anyone either.

It's unlikely we'll be able to sign anyone that will kick us on much further than we already are and have them hit the ground running.

I do think we'll be signing at least three £15m+ players next summer.

If there is a bargain in a position of need or a long-term injury then I'd expect we'll dip into the market as we have in previous windows.

I expect if we think we can reasonably sign Axel and Ashley for 22/23 then that'll be less likely but if we have already decided not to pursue either of them longer term then a CB or LB bargain would be high on the priority list for the Summer and therefore potentials for January.

I also refuse to believe that we won't also be looking to a defensive midfield role knowing we looked at it so much through the summer.

Nakamba will be gone through January for AFCON and Zimbabwe have an outside chance of making it to the knockout rounds with their group. That plus any injury to Luiz would leave us pretty thin on the ground. Plus end of Jan/Feb there is an international break and at some point Dougie will need to stake a claim for his international spot.

Cheikh Doucourè and a bargain at either LB or CB would represent a strong window for me. Nothing game changing but improves the squad, keep some consistency and allow us to make bigger moves in the summer.

For me it’s either bargains (big signings or potentials) or not signing anyone for the sake of it. 
also it will depend on our position, and how we progress as a team and individuals. If we’re near European places, and the club thought that some short term signings would secure that then they’d go for it. Otherwise we shouldn’t look apart from the longer term view.

We can’t just sign players to fill the squad. We need an upgrades on what we have, then if our players improved then fair enough. 

When we need we can get some clever signings such as Ashley Young or Axel Tuanzebe. Free agents or loan temporary to give ourselves time to discover who would fix those positions in the long term. 

On 19/09/2021 at 01:54, Peter Griffin said:

A Norwich mate of mine says he's good if your knowledge of Norwich is just watching highlights. Gives the ball away far too much and caught out of position far too easily. Not for me.