January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

As said above I think we definitely need a central midfielder. trying to pick a team for tonight's game is difficult because of the embarrassment of riches all over the pitch except for central midfield. You'd want to rest Luiz, and with McGinn injured we are then very limited. A lot will depend between now and December 31st on Sanson. The same period that will probably also decide his Villa career.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm not sure we'll sign anyone either.

It's unlikely we'll be able to sign anyone that will kick us on much further than we already are and have them hit the ground running.

I do think we'll be signing at least three £15m+ players next summer.

Yes, I'd guess those three will be Axel (prob 15-20m). A Left Back 25m+ and a central pivot midfielder for 30m.

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Nakamba was excellent when he replaced McGinn against Everton and has played really well when given opportunities since the last few games of last season

Sort of - played very well against Everton definitely. I wouldn't rely on him too long term though as his passing is usually of the Bryan Small variety.

12 minutes ago, peterw said:

Sort of - played very well against Everton definitely. I wouldn't rely on him too long term though as his passing is usually of the Bryan Small variety.

His pass success % is over 90% this season. He was on for 50 mins against Everton and had a pass success of 95.2%. He has improved during his time with Villa and we hopefully will have a fit Sanson in the squad very soon. How many backups do you think we need?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, peterw said:

When I'm playing football with a DM I don't care how good his passing is if he breaks up play and bullies the opposition. All he has to do is shuffle the ball on to someone who can pass

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

When I'm playing football with a DM I don't care how good his passing is if he breaks up play and bullies the opposition. All he has to do is shuffle the ball on to someone who can pass

Do you play in the Prem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Yes, I'd guess those three will be Axel (prob 15-20m). A Left Back 25m+ and a central pivot midfielder for 30m.

Seeing this more and more, still have no idea what it’s meant to mean.

Midfielders by definition should ‘pivot’ between attack and defence, that’s what they do, to varying extents of course.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Seeing this more and more, still have no idea what it’s meant to mean.

Midfielders by definition should ‘pivot’ between attack and defence, that’s what they do, to varying extents of course.

It means the deep lying midfielder of a midfield 3. The key part of the role is to receive the ball from defence and then progress the ball forward. They primarily form part of a passing triangle with the two centre backs or a full back and a centre back. They should possess vision and high passing accuracy as if they lose possession in the transition it's the most dangerous place to be, the ball being turned over in a central position between the penalty box and centre circle. 

A single pivot is a 1 2 formation in midfield three. A double pivot is a 2 1 in midfield three. Our 3 5 2 that we have played in the last two games is a single pivot "with safety" as we've an added centre back, so we do still play with two pivots on but not side by side. 

A central defensive midfielder is primarily considered one who breaks up play and is very good at marking the space and covering for full backs or other players while they are forward in the attack. Often it's in the one sits and one goes 2 man midfield in a 4 4 2. 

Obviously a CDM and a Single Pivot CM share lots of the same roles in a team but the focus on what is most important is what makes them different. Progression of play from defence to attack vs ball winner and defensive minded covering player.

• Like 1

@bannedfromHandV in addition to what @CVByrne said, I think the idea of calling it the "pivot" is that visually it looks like their teammates "swing" forwards and backwards around them when transitioning from defence to attack. So the team shape (esp. full backs and wingers) looks like it's pivoting around that player.

In defence, the pivot sits in front of the back four and level with midfielders, and then in the transition, the pivot holds, while the CBs split, and the wide players push forward. That transition is what creates natural passing triangles.

session_200417.png

I think the pivot idea has become fashionable because it relates more to the passing patterns, and also means you aren't too focused on what type of player you have in there... a destroyer, a deep lying playmaker, a CM, whatever - all of them can play pivot.

And it's also become fashionable because Southgate likes talking about his double pivot when he wants to sound like a master tactician.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Did you not tell me that Mings was off topic? Is it only players that you like are not off topic are is it actually no players are off topic?

Exactly, somebody finally understands me.

Edited by nick76

12 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Throw all the cash we have available at a worldie central midfielder. It’s such a glaring weakness in our team. 

Agreed. People seem to be praising Luiz contribution on Sat but he keeps getting caught in possession and he doesn't have the defensive attributes to balance that out. He's a good player but I can't see him being good enough for the next level we need to get to. We need one of the 3/4 best players at the entire club in his position. Luiz is he even in the top 10? I'd say no

16 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Throw all the cash we have available at a worldie central midfielder. It’s such a glaring weakness in our team. 

We only got one Cash and I'm not sure the club is ready to throw him :)

• Thanks 1

BirminghamLive links us to Manor Solomon of Shakhtar

Villa have been name-checked as a potential destination for Solomon, with Dean Smith's side and their Premier League rivals Arsenal also credited with an interest in the player as well as Italian side Atalanta.

Solomon was identified by Villa as a transfer target last year before moving to sign Bertrand Traore from Olympique Lyon.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-solomon-21634483

17 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

If it was that easy Nigel Reo-Coker would have been playing for England.