January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Could well be, like I said, but the transfer committee is more than just Lange and I would guess that someone like Buendia is more of a Smith signing. That is a complete guess though.

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree, he will have help but it is a very clear message from the club that Lange is responsible. Definitely Konsa and Ollie were Smith recommendations but I don't know and Buendia. but Lange will have to have approved them (Suso in the case of Konsa)

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Again, I fully agree, as I have already wrote in more detail earlier in this thread. I just think that there are exceptions and Mings is one of, if not the only in one of those in our squad right now. I believe we'd get more value out of him leaving on a free at 34 than selling him next summer for £25 m.

I have no issue with that, we all have different opinions. My opinion is that I think we would be better off cashing in. If we allow players to leave on a free they can take a large portion of a future transfer window to replace and this could potentially weaken our ability to improve the team in that window. I think we are much better off upgrading players on our terms when we are not forced to upgrade. We were forced to upgrades a lot of players when we came back up to the PL and it forced us to shop at a certain level (10m/15m players). We are still feeling the pain of this today (ElGhazi, Trez, Nakamba and many Goal Keepers). I would like to see Villa keep the team very fresh and sell players when it appears that we don't need to sell. This tends to mean we get a premium for our player sale. This profitability will, imo, give us the leverage to reach top 6 and then top4

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I have no issue with that, we all have different opinions. My opinion is that I think we would be better off cashing in. If we allow players to leave on a free they can take a large portion of a future transfer window to replace and this could potentially weaken our ability to improve the team in that window. I think we are much better off upgrading players on our terms when we are not forced to upgrade. We were forced to upgrades a lot of players when we came back up to the PL and it forced us to shop at a certain level (10m/15m players). We are still feeling the pain of this today (ElGhazi, Trez, Nakamba and many Goal Keepers). I would like to see Villa keep the team very fresh and sell players when it appears that we don't need to sell. This tends to mean we get a premium for our player sale. This profitability will, imo, give us the leverage to reach top 6 and then top4

And we just keep doing it until we win the Champions League. Easy peasy.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

And we just keep doing it until we win the Champions League. Easy peasy.

No, that's only on the PlayStation that would work. But in the real world it is an absolutely vital component of a strategy for a club with aspirations of Europe. 

12 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

And there are far far more CBs that go off the boil in their 30s. Also, my point is more about him decreasing in value, which he will do, which I have made clear I believe. I also said there are other positions in the first XI that need upgrading ahead of CB. That doesn't change that it makes sense to sell Mings next summer

Italy just won the Euros with a 34 year old and 37 year old starting. Backup was 33. Thiago Silva won the champions league he was 36

Liverpool just gave a 29 year old defender a 5 year deal

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If your suggesting (and its only you) we sell our captain and buy a better left footed centre back then you have to back it up with an answer 

Why?

It is the principle of what I am saying is important and not the individual. 

20 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

No, that's only on the PlayStation that would work. But in the real world it is an absolutely vital component of a strategy for a club with aspirations of Europe. 

Why doesn't everyone do it?

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Why?

It is the principle of what I am saying is important and not the individual. 

I think using Mings as your example was the problem.  I know he’s the age you are looking at but he’s just become official leader of the players at the club, a great role model and one of the core of our team both on and off the pitch.  

He’s not leaving the club in the next year or two, if you think that then it doesn’t seem to align with his growth/presence at the club, you are flogging a dead horse with that line and looking like you rate Mings more than your business turnover theory.

I’m not having a go and I’m not saying that’s your intention but it’s coming across like that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

No idea, I have neither and have never played Football Manager. My kids have a PS though 😀

I had Football Manager in the early days when you could cheat and a season took hours not days as it does now I believe….not sure what I had that, probably my Amiga (can’t remember if that’s how you spell it).  My nephews have PS but play stupid games on it like Fortnite and Minecraft.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think using Mings as your example was the problem.  I know he’s the age you are looking at but he’s just become official leader of the players at the club, a great role model and one of the core of our team both on and off the pitch.  

He’s not leaving the club in the next year or two, if you think that then it doesn’t seem to align with his growth/presence at the club, you are flogging a dead horse with that line and looking like you rate Mings more than your business turnover theory.

I’m not having a go and I’m not saying that’s your intention but it’s coming across like that.

I rate Mings, he is a good player. But like every other player at Villa, he could be replaced with better. To achieve success we must always try to improve. Using Mings as my example is, imo, the perfect player to use. We can realise a decent profit by selling and replace him with better. Although he is very good I don't believe for one second that we could not attract better. 

Just now, nick76 said:

I had Football Manager in the early days when you could cheat and a season took hours not days as it does now I believe….not sure what I had that, probably my Amiga (can’t remember if that’s how you spell it).  My nephews have PS but play stupid games on it like Fortnite and Minecraft.

Yep Fortnite and Minecraft in my house too but there has been a move to PC games as opposed to console games. I am not sure if that is because my kids are older now or whether it is the market, it is probably a bit of both

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I rate Mings, he is a good player. But like every other player at Villa, he could be replaced with better. To achieve success we must always try to improve. Using Mings as my example is, imo, the perfect player to use. We can realise a decent profit by selling and replace him with better. Although he is very good I don't believe for one second that we could not attract better. 

I just don’t see somebody better than Mings coming here at the moment. An England international, a leader and an extremely good player.  I guess we just rate him differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I just don’t see somebody better than Mings coming here at the moment. An England international, a leader and an extremely good player.  I guess we just rate him differently.

We also paid big for Mings so we wont get a profit on him. Probably need 40million bid or so to make a profit. Who will pay that? 

• Like 1

I get Peters point and could be something we shall look at in the future.....Leicester do it really well.

In the case of Mings....he is worth more to us than probably the market will pay.....He is the epitome of our team spirit, that is hard to replace.

its like have an old used car, where the market value is worth less than the value to the owner.

but the principle of what Peter is saying is of value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Peter Griffin I applaud you on your conviction and reasoned and detailed  responses and POV ref: Mings - I see and agree with your point to an extent. Just think it depends on the player and so many other factors in terms on what they offer and bring to the team and squad. Mings loss would be felt for sure in the dressing room . 

• Like 2