January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Apparently it’s just a loan with no obligation to buy ☹️

Oh well, hope he can put in some good performances and maybe even raise his value. Chance for him to put himself in the shop window, he certainly doesn’t have a future here.

Good luck Anwar, thanks for the memories but it’s time to part ways.

Just now, Jas10 said:

Apparently it’s just a loan with no obligation to buy ☹️

Oh well, hope he can put in some good performances and maybe even raise his value. Chance for him to put himself in the shop window, he certainly doesn’t have a future here.

Good luck Anwar, thanks for the memories but it’s time to part ways.

That's a pity it is not permanent but an opportunity for him to put himself in the shop window. We sign Digne and they sign ElGhazi. A real sign of the shift in status of the two clubs. Thank you NSWE

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Ings and Bailey had no plan behind them, apart from 'our attack is shit now Jack has left, we need to improve our attacking players'.

Bailey was brought in as a winger, which fitted into Smith's system, while Ings appeared to have no plan behind it. Now Gerrard has come in Bailey may no longer fit into the system (along with Traore, AEG and Trez). Whether we can adapt Bailey and Traore to number 10s remains to be seen, but I suspect they will be on the transfer list before too long. 

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

The last two times I thought we had very good transfer windows were:

• Summer of 2015 - Ended up getting relegated with some of the worst individual performances of all time
  • Summer of 2021 - Horrific start, ended up with Deano getting the sack and all the signings have yet to hit their expectations yet.  

Part of me has a sickening feeling with regards to being as optimistic as I am, but the difference this time is we're buying actual quality instead of taking punts on promising players.  

Both were I wasn’t confident, it’s when wr lost our best players. Where usually it’s hard to replace even if you got a better player might not get used to the system. So it’s truly a different story now. Dean was on his way to getting sack since Jack was gone. Whenever Jack was missing we looked clueless even in the Championship.

18 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Bailey was brought in as a winger, which fitted into Smith's system, while Ings appeared to have no plan behind it. Now Gerrard has come in Bailey may no longer fit into the system (along with Traore, AEG and Trez). Whether we can adapt Bailey and Traore to number 10s remains to be seen, but I suspect they will be on the transfer list before too long. 

We signed two right wingers the season after spending 17 million on a right winger, yet not one left winger was brought in when we lost our best left winger (and best player).

24 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Yeah I really worry for Bailey if I'm honest. 

He is no number 10 

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

4 goals and 2 assists in 11 starts for a new club is deemed as a "flop" now. 

Jesus. 

If we actually made more than half a chance per match for the guy he'd be on double that at least and you'd be raving about the guy. 

We have been amongst the poorest chance creating teams in the league up to this point hence the Coutinho and Digne signings. Once he gets service he practically guarantees goals. 

I thought he only had 3 goals. BTW it's 12 starts 14 apps in total. 

Those numbers a decent 4 goals and 2 assists. So not a flop, but the guy is invisible most of the time. I'd still pick Ollie ahead of him all day long.

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

I thought he only had 3 goals. BTW it's 12 starts 14 apps in total. 

Those numbers a decent 4 goals and 2 assists. So not a flop, but the guy is invisible most of the time. I'd still pick Ollie ahead of him all day long.

Only counted 11 starts so my bad. 

He's a totally different player to Ollie. He needs service as he's an elite finisher and I think he's done great so far with what he's had to feed off of. 

Just glad to have both as options, we are finally blessed in that position. However, with Buendia hitting his stride and now Coutinho and Digne joining to add to creativity, they both should have no excuses moving forward. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah I really worry for Bailey if I'm honest. 

He is no number 10 

Gerrard didn't simply play with playmaker wide forwards. He also used fast, direct wide forwards also. He rotated his forwards to target perceived weaknesses in opponents. Bailey will be fine as long as can stay fit, and play well, like everyone else else in the squad.

We haven't seen Bailey at his best yet, he hasn't been fully fit and sharp yet. We all have to bear that in mind. Bailey has massive potential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Both were I wasn’t confident, it’s when wr lost our best players. Where usually it’s hard to replace even if you got a better player might not get used to the system. So it’s truly a different story now. Dean was on his way to getting sack since Jack was gone. Whenever Jack was missing we looked clueless even in the Championship.

That’s kind of obvious considering Jack was the team. Everything was built around him so naturally the team would look lost without him.

General question to others though. Why do people feel Bailey is now unfit for the side? Why would he need to convert to a 10?

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Only counted 11 starts so my bad. 

He's a totally different player to Ollie. He needs service as he's an elite finisher and I think he's done great so far with what he's had to feed off of. 

Just glad to have both as options, we are finally blessed in that position. However, with Buendia hitting his stride and now Coutinho and Digne joining to add to creativity, they both should have no excuses moving forward. 

I agree, however I don't think we are good enough to carry a striker that doesn't contribute outside the box. 

Bailey being close to fitness is also good. Bailey would be the perfect foil for Ings. Ings like to drop off link up and then get forward again, so with him dropping off and Bailey bursting forward with that scintillating pace, they could provide a different threat to Ollie furthest forward leading the line and two schemers either side of him.