January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, onmeedson said:

Maybe the data led program  doe's not account for grit or character and the ability to battle on a Monday night at Burnley, we seem to have many players of the same ilk and spirit. Could the data be to narrow in its scope.

I would hazard a guess that, that could be the case.

Computers, Data, are an aid.....not the be all and end all.

This has been my concern, for some time.

I think Data, is a very useful tool .......but it depends how it is used to determine an outcome.

I think the characteristics you mention, have been missing for some time in our players, and I think it will take some time for SG to change it.

I hope Johan Lange and his team recognise ,what you suggest too, otherwise SG will have an uphill battle, working with them.

Southampton's new owners seem to be being linked with looking to follow the Brentford example, when it comes to buying and selling. Given that, how about going in again with a cheeky £20m bid for JWP, with a view to upping it to £30m to get the deal done? ;) 

I always thought Nakamba was better than he was given credit for and am loving that after 3 good games under Gerrard he has become indispensable in some eyes perhaps even more so now he is injured. It wasn’t long ago he was regarded  as ‘ not fit to wear the shirt’ and yes there are still many that feel that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

One strange dream

I think Coutinho and Firmino links are genuine possibilities. Long way from signed certainties, sure.

Grealish is not going to happen. Not this season, or next. However if he fails to produce in the way city signed him to, they may be open to a transfer if they can recoup enough of the fee to sign someone else. 

Davis already gone, Trezeguet and Traore at the AFCONs and Trezeguet maybe not close to being first choice anyway, Bailey injured, Philogene-Bidace and Archer set to go out on loan, Barry and Brad Young also reportedly likely to out on loan, El Ghazi unhappy. That leaves just Ings, Watkins, Buendia, and the Chukwuemeka brothers and that's if you're counting Carney as an attacker rather than a midfielder. So with that said I think we'll go for another attacker, maybe Aribo, although there have been reports that we will utilize the domestic loan market, so maybe we will use that strengthen our attack, possibly going for a player at one of the "big clubs" that isn't getting enough game time. I've just had an idea of a midfielder we could sign, Ndombele.

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Boubacar Kamara still seem like the absolute no-brainer target for the club, especially since he's out of contract in the summer and Marseille need to sell in Jan to get anything for him.

I assume he's discussing with other clubs about a free transfer in summer now he can do that. Makes it harder to try get him this window

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

I assume he's discussing with other clubs about a free transfer in summer now he can do that. Makes it harder to try get him this window

Yup, will be tons of currently richer and more successful clubs trying to get him. Hope we can make a compelling case, if we are interested. Which I hope we are.

12 hours ago, YLN said:

Nonsense.

His heart stopping was just that. His heart flipped into an aberrant rhythm like a DJ changing songs at a wedding.

Just because it got everyone at the wedding to stop dancing, doesn't mean the marriage is doomed.

It's not a reflection on his overall health. Yes it could happen again. Ideally not while he's playing football, but if it does, he has the implanted defib which will shock him back to a normal rhythm. He'll probably need to be subbed then.

His cardiac arrest was not from organ failure or his 'time being up'. 

He did not have heart failure. It was a cardiac arrest. If CE goes for his medical and he is in ventricular fibrillation, then yes he will fail the medical. He will also not have a pulse, which will be a bigger issue. CE is in a normal heart rhythm basically all the time.

Yes, cardiac arrest and not failure, just a typo. I am in complete agreement with what u are saying

44 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Grit is also winning second balls and not sustain attacks because of it,  when our attacks broke down against Brentford I can’t help but think if Nakamba was playing he would be winning the ball back 30 seconds  later and sustaining out pressure  

I also think passing to our own players in a general forward direction might help.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I think Coutinho and Firmino links are genuine possibilities. Long way from signed certainties, sure.

Grealish is not going to happen. Not this season, or next. However if he fails to produce in the way city signed him to, they may be open to a transfer if they can recoup enough of the fee to sign someone else. 

Firmino is definitely not a possiblity unless Watkins goes and would be a backwards step for a guy past his peak

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

He really isn’t my type of character but Jesse Lingard on a loan til the end of the season?

Certainly did the business for West Ham last season. 

Does he have gritt ?

• Haha 1

Genuinely a little concerned at names linked. Coutinho, Firminho, Gomez, Digne. There's a real lack of imagination here, these aren't people on the way up, nor are they the type of wily old character that will support the squad in a Young, Whelan, Jedi manner... They're players that are past their best who in three cases know the gaffer. 

If this is where we're looking I have real hesitancy about the entire football setup having already gone for a very mates based appointment for manager (one lacking much imagination too)... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dale said:

Genuinely a little concerned at names linked. Coutinho, Firminho, Gomez, Digne. There's a real lack of imagination here, these aren't people on the way up, nor are they the type of wily old character that will support the squad in a Young, Whelan, Jedi manner... They're players that are past their best who in three cases know the gaffer. 

If this is where we're looking I have real hesitancy about the entire football setup having already gone for a very mates based appointment for manager (one lacking much imagination too)... 

Hopefully just the garbage media.

The names worry me as well.