January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Just now, hippo said:

Would he (Gomez) really that much of an upgrade on Hause ?  - he isn't anywhere near the Liverpool first 11. He looks a considerable downgrade on England international Mings, similar for Konsa. His fee is also likely to dwarf the 3 or 4m we paid for Hause.  Would seem a bit of a nothing purchase for me.

It's tough and that's why I've changed my mind on him a bit and swung against it. If he finds his form he'd be an incredible signing for us and a massive upgrade on Hause - particularly on his last outing - but the way he has tumbled down the pecking order at Liverpool shows he may have had it. 

Others have said he was out of form anyway when we beat them 7-2 and he was very poor and then he's been injured since. A real tough one.

On one hand we've always done well with CBs with an injury history, on the other he's probably 5th choice at Liverpool who were desperate for more CB cover this time last year - OK they've signed some - but he's now bottom pick of the lot.

If he was £10-15m I could understand the risk/reward but he'll be a lot more than that

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Imagine Grealish, Coutinho and Firmino signing. We'd be unbelievably positioned to finish top half and even push for Europa league. Providing chemistry went half decently. 

I know its not going to happen but one can dream right?

We'd stil concede 4 in the last 5 minutes to lose 5 - 4.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

It's like knobbing your wife and secretly dreaming she's Jennifer Lawrence

You don't say these sorts of things out loud. 

I thought I was sick... Great to know this isn't only me.

More Scarlett Johansson than Lawrence though.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We'd stil concede 4 in the last 5 minutes to lose 5 - 4.

I doubt we would even score that much. 3 attacking players with pretty patchy goalscoring records

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

Would he (Gomez) really that much of an upgrade on Hause ?  - he isn't anywhere near the Liverpool first 11. He looks a considerable downgrade on England international Mings, similar for Konsa. His fee is also likely to dwarf the 3 or 4m we paid for Hause.  Would seem a bit of a nothing purchase for me.

It was that long ago he was a starter for Liverpool alongside van Dijk, and probably England's first choice. The only question mark was his first real drop in form, quickly followed by a bad injury. Its a risk only because of that. He's way beyond Hause.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

It was that long ago he was a starter for Liverpool alongside van Dijk, and probably England's first choice. The only question mark was his first real drop in form, quickly followed by a bad injury. Its a risk only because of that. He's way beyond Hause.

Probably Englands first choice ? - Was he or wasn't he ? - 1 England Cap I believe.

Factor in the liverpool factor which probably gets him that 1 England cap - right now he is way down the pecking order as Hause was at Wolves.  Unless we have considerably more funds than anticipated spending £20M+ on Gomez seems to be £20M with little or no impact. Unless of course he is brought to replace Mings/Konsa  (Equally Alarming IMO) 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

IMO that is a terrible deal for us

i dont want to sign him but taking him on loan is even worse

This comment makes literally no sense. You don't want him, but a Loan for 6 months is worse than signing him permanently!! 

• Like 1

All I ever hear is how data driven and great our scouting team is. Lange and his team keep tabs and have information on every player throughout Europe and basically do all this jiggery and pokery to find the best players from abroad.
Why do we always sign players we've heard of? Digne being a great example. Surely there is a LB abroad that we can snap up for half the price/wages?

I don't know, just seems like our scouting isnt as far reaching as we're told. Buendia/Bailey/Ings again, good examples. That's 95 million pounds right there. I'd love us to find a couple of gems for 5-10m (I know, i know its hard).

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Wearing that jacket is obviously limiting his movement.

True, He’s done nothing wrong since moving there just Barca being Barca, people are keen to categorise him in the James Rodriguez bracket, he’s far from that, I don’t think he will come here but I would be over the moon if he did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Probably Englands first choice ? - Was he or wasn't he ? - 1 England Cap I believe.

Factor in the liverpool factor which probably gets him that 1 England cap - right now he is way down the pecking order as Hause was at Wolves.  Unless we have considerably more funds than anticipated spending £20M+ on Gomez seems to be £20M with little or no impact. Unless of course he is brought to replace Mings/Konsa  (Equally Alarming IMO) 

Gomez pre-injury was without a doubt first choice for England. 

He has 11 caps for England and would be on 25 odd by now if it weren't for Ben Mee. 

He was absolutely outstanding in the title winning season and he was only 22. 

He is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles beyond Hause and we have absolutely no chance in signing him.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Well it seems this is a recurring theme every window, very few ever come to fruition anywhere. I think the only real one might be a general enquiry for Hickey at this point and I expect Percy to pipe up any minute with news that we are close to a player that hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

I'm hoping to be linked with some power and pace in Midfield.....we talk on here about Talent all the time, at our level now, you expect talent......we need talent with Grit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This comment makes literally no sense. You don't want him, but a Loan for 6 months is worse than signing him permanently!! 

yes and to me that makes perfect sense

a loan is utterly pointless and a complete waste of money whilst sending out a poor message to the youngsters in the squad, at best he will come in play pretty well and put himself in the shop window while we maybe go up from 12th to 10th but i dont think he'll even do that because he hasnt played much football and i cant see him picking up the pace and fitness instantly so it'll take him a month to get going, its worse than a permanent signing 

barca might be desperate for cash but i just dont see any kind of deal to be done for him and then i have reservations as to what his frame of mind would be coming from that transfer to us - if i said lets sign eden hazard on loan for 6 months would people say yeah he was great at chelsea or say no he's washed up and finished? i feel that way about coutinho

• Like 1

Just now, gwi1890 said:

True, He’s done nothing wrong since moving there just Barca being Barca, people are keen to categorise him in the James Rodriguez bracket, he’s far from that, I don’t think he will come here but I would be over the moon if he did.

He's a magician if we get close to the PC we want, if he isn't up to it though it's a dangerous game to be playing. It's highly unlikely as you say, he's at the upper end of the scum12 money bracket, unmovable imo unless Barca literally give him away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

All I ever hear is how data driven and great our scouting team is. Lange and his team keep tabs and have information on every player throughout Europe and basically do all this jiggery and pokery to find the best players from abroad.
Why do we always sign players we've heard of? Digne being a great example. Surely there is a LB abroad that we can snap up for half the price/wages?

I don't know, just seems like our scouting isnt as far reaching as we're told. Buendia/Bailey/Ings again, good examples. That's 95 million pounds right there. I'd love us to find a couple of gems for 5-10m (I know, i know its hard).

We signed plenty we hadn’t heard of when  Suso was here make of that what you will,  I think it has to be a mix of both

I really think our priority is a left back. We have no cover for full back atm with Young injured. Plus given the volume of work the full backs are tasked with in this system they are really open to burn out in latter half of season even if they both remain fit. Then we also have the fact the full backs are primarily attacking players in the Gerrard system and it really doesn't suit Targett's game. He's primarily a defender. 

CDM is also a key area, but I can't see any reason to sign a player in that position who is not "the answer" to the position for us for next couple of seasons. We should sign the right player if we can, otherwise we just go with what we've got. 

As for the no10 roles, if AEG is sold, Trez is loaned and JPB is loaned we can get in another player on loan. Lingard or Coutinho would both be good additions. 

CB cover might be a loan needed also. I think it's a difficult one as whomever comes in knows they have a huge task trying to get mins ahead of Mings and Konsa

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Pretty sure it's because every top division team in Europe is scouting the players the same data driven way so the top clubs are picking up the players with the best numbers when they're 17-18 and stock piling them. If there's a LB with the same numbers as Digne he'll have been sanpped up long ago. As good as our scouting department is we've probably only improved it to be as good as the other top teams in the PL. I think everyone is essentially looking at the same data and therefore the same players. Science takes any randomness or outliers out of the picture.

• Like 2