January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

On 24/06/2016 at 20:20, useless said:

Szalai played well against Portugal, hardly lost the ball.

Seems like I've always rated him, but maybe that '442 Sports' tweet, is based on old links rather than anything new.

All I'm getting is Firmino and Coutinho reports. El Ghazi to Hammers. Dougie interest from Gunners.

I'll see you guys for Brentford I think.

I'll leave you with this thought..

Remember how dubious some of us were about the new manager being SG even when the bookmakers had him as odds on favourite? 

While I have no idea if either would come,  I have almost no doubt that if Gerrard had a relationship to remember with Coutinho or Firmino, then he will be inquiring with our club and then the players themselves. 

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Digne is already on the way down in his career. We should be looking at players with an upward trajectory. Hickey and Patterson for full backs for example. 

I get that we should be largely buying players that are on an upward trajectory, but surely there’s an argument for buying players that are at their peak right now - that can deliver us points and get us up the table. Is there any point in us having two up and coming players in one position? Realistically only one of them is going to realise their potential with us not both. If we’re going to have two left backs it makes sense to have one who is delivering their best football now and one who will be doing it in 2-3 years time.

It’s not necessarily an argument to sign Digne or Tagliafico - more just pointing out that a squad with a balance of potential and experience is better than a squad full of potential.

20 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Hungarian centre back plays for Fenerbache in Turkey, only 23 and would be a huge gamble.

Mail online reporting Napoli have agreed to loan Axel with a option to buy.

So we def need centre back options if we aren't giving Hause a new deal

I always think that defenders that can play for one of the big Turkish sides are lads not to mess with and only 23. I am getting into the transfer window mood now and want to sign this guy to replace Axel. I will look at the youtube clips now and then I will be totally sold on him

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I always think that defenders that can play for one of the big Turkish sides and lads not to mess with and only 23. I am getting into the transfer window mood now and want to sign this guy to replace Axel. I will look at the youtube clips now and then I will be totally sold on him

His name is Attlla  and he is from Hungary. If we purchase a player who is literally Attila the Hun then i don't need to look at Youtube. He will be welcome however good he us ! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I get that we should be largely buying players that are on an upward trajectory, but surely there’s an argument for buying players that are at their peak right now - that can deliver us points and get us up the table. Is there any point in us having two up and coming players in one position? Realistically only one of them is going to realise their potential with us not both. If we’re going to have two left backs it makes sense to have one who is delivering their best football now and one who will be doing it in 2-3 years time.

It’s not necessarily an argument to sign Digne or Tagliafico - more just pointing out that a squad with a balance of potential and experience is better than a squad full of potential.

Patterson is a RB and Hickey is a LB. I'm not saying we need to replace Cash at the moment, but Targett possibly. I think the 2 players would (hopefully) cover our full back positions for years to come.

I'd like to see us look at our Academy players more as well... no point having a great academy unless we are going to given them the chance. 

I guess what i'm saying is that we need a USP to attract players... being a team that gives youth and up and coming players a chance at the top level is a good one to have. We're never going to be attract the very best against the top 4, but we can be the team that makes the superstars of the future. 

Sorry for the rambling post, my blood is still 75% spiced rum at the minute and I'm typing with my eyes squinted in order to stop my head pounding! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I guess what i'm saying is that we need a USP to attract players... being a team that gives youth and up and coming players a chance at the top level is a good one to have

Not if you are trying to sign Digne or Tagliafico 🤣

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Patterson is a RB and Hickey is a LB. I'm not saying we need to replace Cash at the moment, but Targett possibly. I think the 2 players would (hopefully) cover our full back positions for years to come.

I'd like to see us look at our Academy players more as well... no point having a great academy unless we are going to given them the chance. 

I guess what i'm saying is that we need a USP to attract players... being a team that gives youth and up and coming players a chance at the top level is a good one to have. We're never going to be attract the very best against the top 4, but we can be the team that makes the superstars of the future. 

Sorry for the rambling post, my blood is still 75% spiced rum at the minute and I'm typing with my eyes squinted in order to stop my head pounding! 

if they prove to be good enough, i do think we should look to develop Chrisene and Hayden, however i think Hayden would probably benefit from a higher level loan next season, like the Championship, and Chrisene could prob do with a loan next season also, so basically looking to integrate them in to the first team in a couple of years (if they prove good enough).

With that in mind, we probably want to have the positions covered for the next couple of years, i think Cash is currently ok and not a priority to replace him, if we have a prob with RB cover i would just recall Guilbert.

In terms of left back, i do think we need to replace Targett, he just isnt mobile enough imo to play the "Gerrard full back role", so if we buy a player to take that slot, then Targett can compete, this should all give us enough time to hopefully develop Chrisene and Hayden.

at least imo.

Edited by MaVilla

I cant understand why the club is being linked with pensioners ( in footballing terms)

romeu is 30  taglifico is 29 and digne is 29

Now they are all fine players...but i would have imagined that the club would want some kind of comeback after their contracts end etc.

Edens and sawaris are business men first and foremost and i  certainly would not be thinking that the club would recoup any of the massive fees paid for these players at the end of their contracts.

Money wise we had a nightmare spend last summer and im sure we have lost millions and millions in player's net worth.

One thing i do know is that we have to get the next 2 windows right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I cant understand why the club is being linked with pensioners ( in footballing terms)

romeu is 30  taglifico is 29 and digne is 29

Now they are all fine players...but i would have imagined that the club would want some kind of comeback after their contracts end etc.

Edens and sawaris are business men first and foremost and i  certainly would not be thinking that the club would recoup any of the massive fees paid for these players at the end of their contracts.

Money wise we had a nightmare spend last summer and im sure we have lost millions and millions in player's net worth.

One thing i do know is that we have to get the next 2 windows right.

Maybe getting pensioners looking for a final big pay day is what January is all about?

1 hour ago, useless said:

Seems like I've always rated him, but maybe that '442 Sports' tweet, is based on old links rather than anything new.

Thats a different Szalai, this guy only made his international debut 2 years ago

• Thanks 1

I don't think there's any truth to the Digne and Tagliafico links, Digne hasn't really been linked anyway, that's just fans speculating and the Birmingham Mail using that fan speculation as clickbait and Tagliafico as a more defensive minded fullback doesn't really suit Gerrard's system, as stated previously I wouldn't be surprised if he was someone we inquired about when Smith was still manager, he was linked to West Ham in the summer, so we could have shown interest then.

Romeu rumour seems like it might be more reliable, as it was Percy that first said we liked him in the summer, and might makes sense to bring someone like him in until Iroegbunam is ready. But even with that link in it's latest incarnation comes from The Athletic, and I don't think they're as reliable as they were, probably just guesswork from them based on Percy linking us with him in the summer and us needing a DM owing to Nakamba's injury.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2021 at 11:54, sne said:

Tbf out of their regular starters Soucek, Bowen, Fornals, Dawson, Benrahma, Coufal, Zouma (Lingard) have all been brought in during the last two and a half seasons.

Edit: They've also manage to keep their Grealish in Rice. So far...

And honestly I'll be really surprised if they finish better than 7th or 8th this season. Which is still really good.

I mean replacing our players with "stars" and much better quality. Soucek and Coufal came from an unknown, weak league. Dawson couldn't get into an extremely poor Watford defence. Bowen and Benrahma were championship players and Zouma was a backup at Chelsea. Lingard was being laughed and scoffed at on here 12 months ago at the mere suggestion of his name. 

It doesn't have to take years and years if we get it right like West Ham did. Cash and Watkins are our Bowen and Benrahma. We do need to be slightly more ruthless I think though. 

West Ham sold Diangana and there was absolute outrage, but they got a fortune for him, he's disappeared since and they were well stocked in his position. I'm too soft to work out which of our current highly rated players need shifting for a profit now