Pre-match thread

ender4

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Chelsea's B team would probably be favorites against our strongest team so I wouldn't go too overboard over  the fact that they have a couple of players missing. 

But it’s potentially their best 3 players. Most teams that play Chelsea this year, won’t have the luxury of doing so with them missing Kante, Lukaku and Havertz.

Agreed that they’re still very strong though. 

• Like 1

If Lukaku is missing then of course it weakens them and it’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise. The likely replacement would be Timo Werner, who is nowhere like the threat of Lukaku.

Their team overall will still be strong but it’s certainly helpful to us if a few are out.

Edited by ferguson1

31 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Could say we’re missing potentially our best 3 too in Martinez, Konsa & Watkins. Not convinced we’ll see Bailey or Traore either, not to mention the record signing in quarantine. 

It isn’t great but, Tuanzebe should be able to do a job for us with Mings who is now fit. We still have Danny Ings so shouldn’t miss Watkins too much. Steer will definitely have some work to do, fingers crossed he does well. 
We need the midfield to be strong, McGinn is in great form, Luiz looked good against Brentford. I don’t know the situation with Jacob Ramsey, might end up playing Ashley Young in midfield again (he was signed as back up, he’s going to be an ever present at this rate!)

God knows who we’re going to play on the right, considering it’s a position we’re stacked, none of them are fit/available.

It’s going to be a tough one but I wouldn’t write us off completely. 

On 06/09/2021 at 18:12, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

One things for sure, if Smith were to pull one out the bag here it will go down as a massive achievement. Our results against Chelsea since coming up have been pretty close games. 1-2, 1-2, 1-1, 2-1. I agree I can see a 3/4-0 here though.

We haven't got the same midfield unlike last season and yeah we did win against Chelsea on the last day. The problem we are having is we got a load of players out injured and on international duty. Smith could maybe play out Chuk, both Ramsey brothers and maybe a few other youngsters for this.

On 07/09/2021 at 08:14, Robtaylor200 said:

I remember them beating us 8:0 and we were lucky to get nil. Seven different players scored 

Even I remember that. I even remember going there when we lost 3-0 under Lambert in 2015 and when Diego Costa scored in front of us.

I have no idea what our team will be, this season is such a contrast to last year when it was the same 11 each week. Can't wait to see our full strength side, whatever that is, and whenever it is possible!  Keeps things interesting I suppose.

No way Smith would play Chuck, the Ramsey brothers and a few other youngsters in a game like this it could ruin them as well as our goal difference for the season.  The young players are outstanding prospects but not all together at once in an already weakened team against one of the strongest in the league.. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Could say we’re missing potentially our best 3 too in Martinez, Konsa & Watkins. Not convinced we’ll see Bailey or Traore either, not to mention the record signing in quarantine. 

Yeah I could understand the excitement at them missing a few top players if we were at full strength! 

Not impossible we get something out of this but it'll take something a bit special to do so.

22 hours ago, smg said:

No way Smith would play Chuck, the Ramsey brothers and a few other youngsters in a game like this it could ruin them as well as our goal difference for the season.  The young players are outstanding prospects but not all together at once in an already weakened team against one of the strongest in the league.. 

oh yeah that’s true.

We’ll probably lose this one, but you never know, football is always good for a surprise or two. I hope Steer has a good game, he gets a lot of hate for not being as good as Martinez, but he’s still a capable keeper. He’s also been working with Cutler for a long time now, and if Big Cutz can’t improve you… nobody can! 

Not sure where we’re at with injuries but hopefully we see Bailey, Watkins and Konsa fit and involved. 

On 07/09/2021 at 16:07, villalad21 said:

Steer in goal Jesus.

Chelsea fans must be rubbing their hands. Free win for them.

at Least he wants to play for us and always available....Not to be sniffed at these days.

Well Steer will get his chance here. Let's be honest, he isn't at the required standard, but maybe he'll cover well in Emi's absence.

If he performs badly and we suffer a bad loss, I do think the cub need to act as Emi will miss games in Oct and Nov with these annoying international games.

Pretty sure Sergio Romero is available on a free, experienced GK who has played in a World Cup final. Not played regularly for a while but is an upgrade on Steer.

so chelsea are missing lukaku kante havertz pulisic james and silva for saturday

we are missing Both  emi's and konsa and possibly bailey.

I suppose anything can happen but i fancy our chances on saturday with a sneaky 2-1 villa win

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

What I would like to see is Villa starting out as if they want to win,not waiting till the opposition scores first or not waiting till the second half  before they decide to start playing.

What I would like to see, is no early reversals.....stay in the game, and the longer we do, the more chance of a magic moment.

We are not going to win the possession stats, no point trying....just catch them on the break, and stay resolute.

no Watford shenanigans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1