Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

58 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I wonder which block in the Upper Trinity you sit in? High up in the Upper stand or lower down in that stand?

Reason i ask is that i sit in the Upper Trinity most games, but buy them on a game by game basis (as i'm on waiting list for season ticket). So I sit in different blocks each time and the atmosphere and singing can massively vary, say between A1 and A5. Even the front of the Upper Trinity changes from the back of the Upper Trinity. 

Generally i've found the atmosphere in the Upper Trinity to be good with a few exceptions in certain games. In some sections there are lots of day-trippers, excitement from first time visitors taking photos and selfies, and a real buzz of an atmosphere. Not the same atmosphere as the Holte who are singing their usual songs, but still a good atmosphere.  Then there are pockets which are joining the Holte in singing, and other smaller pockets which sing their own random songs.  I've tried the DE and North and Upper Trinity is much better and more fun.

I agree, I mostly sit in Trinity, both the family area and the upper. It’s generally reflective of the ground as a whole. So atmosphere can be pretty good with many singing. Or flat as a pancake. The Holte End is often much quieter than I remember it to be when I was a STH there but that was years ago and we had much more to play for than 10th place.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2023 at 16:47, The Fun Factory said:

And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres..

And maybe we could have Ride of the Valkyries instead of Escape for the walk on music.

• Haha 1

I bought my old man the stadium tour recently for his 65th birthday and the club member of staff who conducted the excellent hour and a half tour for our group (Arthur - proper Villa and a credit to the club) said that 'when the Holte goes quiet it transmits to the players' which was quite telling and the fact a club employee acknowledges that maybe indicates it's a widely-held view.

7 minutes ago, wedge said:

I bought my old man the stadium tour recently for his 65th birthday and the club member of staff who conducted the excellent hour and a half tour for our group (Arthur - proper Villa and a credit to the club) said that 'when the Holte goes quiet it transmits to the players' which was quite telling and the fact a club employee acknowledges that maybe indicates it's a widely-held view.

Thats always been the case, when the holte is quiet Villa park is quiet. When the holte is rocking Villa park is rocking

It'll be interesting to see how the atmosphere changes in the next few years with the reconstruction of parts of the stadium.

If rail seating ends up not being in the Holte End and is at the other end of the ground (in a stand that's bigger than the Holte End), that could make a real difference.

If we end up losing a chunk of the Holte to hospitality, that could also have an effect - especially if the people that are moved can't be accommodated at that end of the ground

There's probably something to be said in favour of spreading the atmosphere around the ground rather than it being as simple as "I want to sing, so I'll get a ticket in the Holte End", but if that goes wrong, rather than a ground with noise from both ends inspiring those in the middle, we could just end up with that sort of flat porridge that you sometimes get in newer stadiums like the Emirates or the Etihad.

Liverpool will be opening their new Anfield Road stand opposite the Kop next season and it's much larger than the Kop (which is now the little stand at one end of Anfield) which is a similar sort of process in a way - be interesting to see how that affects them.

12 hours ago, wedge said:

Well when the KOP goes quiet it transmits to the Liverpool players, same with all clubs…that’s like saying water is wet.  When the main vocal stand goes quiet, it’s obvious, there are very few clubs that is vocal in all their stands.  The main stand starts most of the loud chants and creates most of the noise at most grounds I’ve been to over the decades so widely held opinion at most clubs.

Of course we want more noise, of course we want a cauldron and people like project B6 are trying to help with that but most clubs are suffering the same for many reasons.  Just seems some are trying to make this as unique for Villa which is bizarre.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The main stand starts most of the loud chants and creates most of the noise at most grounds I’ve been to over the decades.

Absolutely, and I think that's never clearer than when a team loses its main stand, like when the Kippax or the North Bank dissolved and their congregations spread across their respective new grounds;, trying to find that lost atmosphere is a hopeless mess.

The Holte End should be sacred, sacrosanct; it's a place with responsibilities.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be interesting to see how the atmosphere changes in the next few years with the reconstruction of parts of the stadium.

If rail seating ends up not being in the Holte End and is at the other end of the ground (in a stand that's bigger than the Holte End), that could make a real difference.

If we end up losing a chunk of the Holte to hospitality, that could also have an effect - especially if the people that are moved can't be accommodated at that end of the ground

There's probably something to be said in favour of spreading the atmosphere around the ground rather than it being as simple as "I want to sing, so I'll get a ticket in the Holte End", but if that goes wrong, rather than a ground with noise from both ends inspiring those in the middle, we could just end up with that sort of flat porridge that you sometimes get in newer stadiums like the Emirates or the Etihad.

Liverpool will be opening their new Anfield Road stand opposite the Kop next season and it's much larger than the Kop (which is now the little stand at one end of Anfield) which is a similar sort of process in a way - be interesting to see how that affects them.

Yes I think there is the possibility of the new North Stand making more noise of the two. This will probably have newer fans who have been on the season ticket waiting list and will be full of youthful idealism, before the years of crushing football reality hits them like most season ticket holders in the Holte.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I watched Bayern last night. I am always a little jealous of their atmosphere. 

Flags, drums, constant singing, people jumping up and down for 90 min. 

That's what most of mainland Europe does

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

And maybe we could have Ride of the Valkyries instead of Escape for the walk on music.

Or maybe we could have anything at all rather than Escape . Awful screeching uninspiring and crap.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

That's what most of mainland Europe does

Before they sell all of their best players to the Premier League- the best/richest/most morally flexible/delete where appropriate, league in the world.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I watched Bayern last night. I am always a little jealous of their atmosphere. 

Flags, drums, constant singing, people jumping up and down for 90 min. 

Palace have abit of that and so do pompey over here.  Dont think other seen this elsewhere

Knowing the villa base you will start getting people moaning about people playing the drum😂 id love it personally 

On 05/03/2023 at 09:49, SuperTed said:

I was sat in the Trinity and there was a lot of moaning. Reminded me why I don’t go anymore 😂

Quite frankly, I have seen us play umpteen different styles over the years, thats what different managers do...I wasn't overly struck on MON's style, but he mangaged 6-6-6, so had and managed an objective.

me being honest, I have never troubled myself too much with styles of play, I have always accepted the managers way.

I go to games to see my team win....thats the holy grail for me, sure I don't want to see dour football or passive offerings, but if we win, I kind of accept a bit of a trade off.

I am not naive enough to think we have a quality team capable of swashbuckling football, and we can blow teams away, so winning is the objective for me.

If we don't win, thats when the play is questioned for me.

We now have a manager, who has a record of being superior in winning than any of our previous managers since the war.....so I will just let him get on with it.

Winning games and convincing football, has a huge influence on crowd Atmosphere.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Here's an idea for the club measure the decibels of the support at home games.

On what they think is a good atmosphere take that reading an offer the fans something if we reach that noise each game!

As people say abroad the fans make a noise whatever happens on the pitch maybe us in Blighty need an incentive 😜 

it will never happen but I dare to dream!

55 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Palace have abit of that and so do pompey over here.  Dont think other seen this elsewhere

Knowing the villa base you will start getting people moaning about people playing the drum😂 id love it personally 

Hate any fan instrument in a ground, always thought it was cringe and fake fan support.  Don’t ask me why, I don’t know! Maybe just old school thinking…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Quite frankly, I have seen us play umpteen different styles over the years, thats what different managers do...I wasn't overly struck on MON's style, but he mangaged 6-6-6, 

I knew there must have been a reason why we have been cursed ever since. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Hate any fan instrument in a ground, always thought it was cringe and fake fan support.  Don’t ask me why, I don’t know! Maybe just old school thinking…

Why do you think its fake? Genuine question as havent thought about taht before 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why do you think its fake? Genuine question as havent thought about taht before 

Not the guy who made the point and I'm sure @nick76 has his own reasons, but I agree.

You can never really tell what the atmosphere is like at an England game, because half a dozen bellends playing the great escape can drown out thousands of people chanting

Â