Pre Match thread

VillaChris

Just been a quick report from Villa Park on BBC Football Focus. What an absolutely glorious sight Villa Park and The Holte End is. Just beautiful.

As much as the banners over the seats looked ok during lockdown, there’s nothing like seeing Villa Park ready for a game with a full house expected.  I can smell the hot dogs! 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Bit surprising if he's benched Targett already but other than that the team looks good. 

Targett strikes me a bit of a teacher's pet tbh.

Type of player who will never question the manager's decision or be difficult.

Not the most difficult of character to drop.

I get disappointed whenever I see El Ghazi in the starting lineup, but I'm glad we've reverted to a 4-3-3.  Targett must still not be fit and he really struggled against Watford, but I thought Young was excellent in the second half.  Big chance for Ramsey here.  I think this is going to be his breakout season and he'll be an important player for us.  

• Like 1

On 14/08/2021 at 18:48, MrBlack said:

My kneejerk reaction team for this game:

Bailey   Ings   Buendia

McGinn

Ramsey  Nakamba

Young Mings Konsa Guilbert

Martinez

Buendia needs to get up his fitness so depending on how it's going would swap him for Traoré on 60. He should be ready for 90 mins from the game after Newcastle.

No idea where I'd fit Watkins in if he was fit,  probably instead of Ings on the last performance, but suspect he'll need a couple of games off the bench to get to speed.

Our preseason really has f&%ed us.

Three keepers is probably overkill against Newcastle....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, allani said:

Three keepers is probably overkill against Newcastle....

Is there a rule on which way up the formation should be? I've seen it done both ways in equal measures, and it bugs me that there isn't a standard...

38 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Tends to get most starting 11's right in the past.

It's the best we can do at the moment. Hopefully good enough. He made the right decision re: Targett - another roasting and he might have been done for. Three man midfield also offers hope.

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Is there a rule on which way up the formation should be? I've seen it done both ways in equal measures, and it bugs me that there isn't a standard...

I always start keeper at the top and go down to the striker at the bottom.  But that probably just marks me as old!! 😂

16 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I get disappointed whenever I see El Ghazi in the starting lineup, but I'm glad we've reverted to a 4-3-3.  Targett must still not be fit and he really struggled against Watford, but I thought Young was excellent in the second half.  Big chance for Ramsey here.  I think this is going to be his breakout season and he'll be an important player for us.  

On a general note I agree with you.

But this is Newcastle and Steve Bruce.