Increasing Club Revenue

hippo

2 hours ago, randy_69 said:

The Dunkin’ Donuts Doug Ellis stand with D🍩ug Ellis stand in big neon 😂

I was thinking more along the link with the CEO of coca cola, or other international brands and removing at least the names

The north stand and doug Ellis stand for example

The coca cola stand with heavy branding for that stand 

I don't care what those stands are called if we are getting substantial additional revenue 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

It's relatively easy to double our deals from the extremely low levels they were at, especially with on field successes Emery brought.

Let's see what he does next.

Going from £8m to £20m a year is not easy - irrespective of how well we are doing on the pitch.  There have been several teams in recent seasons who've had a good season / a good couple of seasons on the pitch and then faded away because they couldn't build their revenue streams, ended up having to sell key players, etc.  If almost trebling individual sponsorship deals was that easy - how comes none of those other teams were able to make such big jumps in their revenues streams?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Different context, I was more thinking of Heck statement that “we are ready to kicking their door down”… if we still half of the lowest big six income, the statement wasn’t as impressive as it was implying.

But that statement aside, I’m still impressed that we’ve doubled our sponsorship income. Getting closer

We're not going to get deals at the same level as those who have 10, 15, 20 years of CL football, have built up a global following on the back of that and / or are using dodgy deals to allow "state sponsorship".  We were never going to go from £8m a year to £60m a year (at least not without a lot of scrutiny on the deal) - this moves us a step closer.  We'll be in a stronger position to negotiate the next round of deals (especially if we are still doing well on the pitch).

I don't know whether I liked the door thing - but I think that statement is more about the ambition of the owners and everyone at the club to really do that.  It's not an overnight job - these teams have had 20 odd years to build up a massive advantage.  It's going to be fun to watch us try and break through though.  It's clear that NSWE, UE, CH, Atairos, etc aren't looking for us to just be the best of the rest and content with a Top 8 position.  They are hungry for more.

• Like 2

Heck has a pretty easy task of improving commercial revenue as it was pathetic under purslow. In the 22/23 season it was about 18m, which was half of what Leeds earned that season... And they were in the championship for about 20 years prior!

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Heck has a pretty easy task of improving commercial revenue as it was pathetic under purslow. In the 22/23 season it was about 18m, which was half of what Leeds earned that season... And they were in the championship for about 20 years prior!

That's a bit like saying that Emery had a pretty easy task in terms of improving us on the pitch after the s*** show that was Gerrard.  Just because our revenue was pathetic doesn't mean that we've not done a good job of getting out of some bad deals early and then doubling / trebling their value within a few months.

• Like 1

We need other people to start becoming interested in Villa so they start buying our merchandise.

More shirts sold = more exposure = more revenue.

Hopefully it's a great shirt on the way !

There is still plenty of room to grow the game globally too. I think it's why they are coming to the States these past two pre seasons. Especially Ohio, because of the local connection to Cleveland, with a former Browns owner in Randy Lerner, and Brad Friedel being the keeper during the rise of the game over here. I would say Ohio, and Maryland seem to be the two places I ever see Villa stuff.

Also, if Villa keep investing in young South American players, that's a gold mine that can absolutely turn you into a success in the Americas. It's not just the States, where the most popular team is actually Liga MX teams (Club America is, by far, the most popular team here) but South Americans go crazy for their stars. (See: Emi).

Feels like with so many natural connections here, that Villa has a lot of opportunities to grow their international business in the States. It's the one area where I feel like Randy missed a major opportunity back when the Premier League popularity was exploding here. Villa should have been in Spurs spot. But given Randy's obvious lack of business sense, he instead sunk us while other teams rightly attacked the US market big time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, allani said:

This is a completely unrealistic benchmark.  A 4th placed team about to go into the CL would in most seasons be one of the "Big 6" who have benefitted from 20+ years of finishing in / around the top 4, playing in Europe on a regular basis (rather than for the first time in 15 seasons - or whatever the number is), have built up a global following, have a history of big sponsorship deal (it's much easier to ask for £30m a year if the last deal was £27.5m or £50m) and / or have signed deals with "friendly" state owned / influenced companies.

If you want to benchmark it - then you have to look for a team that were playing in the Championship a few seasons ago, spent 3.5 seasons in the bottom half and have seriously impressive form for 18 months.  Companies won't give you £40m just because you finished 4th one season - they'll need convincing that you aren't going to crash out of Europe early and then spend the next 2 or 3 years of their sponsorship period stuck in mid-table achieving very little of note.  Having a track-record of finishing at the top end of the table reduces the risk of that happening and so allows you to ask for more money. 

Dodgy / illegal deals aside it should be much more difficult for Chelsea to negotiate their next shirt deal if they miss out on Europe this season and next.  Companies just won't be as convinced by their assertation that they are a "big 6" team who will be challenging for trophies.  But to try and suggest that they have the best commercial team in the world because if you compare their current deals with other teams finishing 10th and not playing in Europe would be bizarre.  So doing it the other way is equally flawed.

We can't benchmark it as there isn't really a club that's done similar. Newcastle would be the closest but their deals are skewed by related party shenanigans.

I dont think it would be a hard sell to explan who our owners are, their track record of successes,  that Unai Emery has consistently delivered European success at every single club he's managed for consecutive years in different leagues with lower relative budgets. You then use that alongside our current form and explain we are more able to sustain it than a Man United that are quite evidently toxic and struggling, an aging Liverpool about to go through a period of uncertainty,  and a Chelsea that will find themselves having points deducted if they continue to fail to qualify. 

He's had a job to do there, and he's done it, but you can't ignore the helping hand he's been given, or the relativity of our position at the time the contracts he's replacing were signed.

8 hours ago, OhioVilla said:

There is still plenty of room to grow the game globally too. I think it's why they are coming to the States these past two pre seasons. Especially Ohio, because of the local connection to Cleveland, with a former Browns owner in Randy Lerner, and Brad Friedel being the keeper during the rise of the game over here. I would say Ohio, and Maryland seem to be the two places I ever see Villa stuff.

Also, if Villa keep investing in young South American players, that's a gold mine that can absolutely turn you into a success in the Americas. It's not just the States, where the most popular team is actually Liga MX teams (Club America is, by far, the most popular team here) but South Americans go crazy for their stars. (See: Emi).

Feels like with so many natural connections here, that Villa has a lot of opportunities to grow their international business in the States. It's the one area where I feel like Randy missed a major opportunity back when the Premier League popularity was exploding here. Villa should have been in Spurs spot. But given Randy's obvious lack of business sense, he instead sunk us while other teams rightly attacked the US market big time.

We just need to make a big splash on a player from Japan/China/Korea now, get a foothold over there.

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

We just need to make a big splash on a player from Japan/China/Korea now, get a foothold over there.

Xia was a player from China and look how that worked out

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Villa Gaffa said:

We need other people to start becoming interested in Villa so they start buying our merchandise.

More shirts sold = more exposure = more revenue.

Hopefully it's a great shirt on the way !

I was just wondering how many countries Comcast operate in.  If Atairos have enough clout at Comcast will overseas viewers see us popping up on their screens more often?  A good way to influence global interest.

10 hours ago, OhioVilla said:

But given Randy's obvious lack of business sense, he instead sunk us while other teams rightly attacked the US market big time.

Never failed to amaze me how many people thought that Randy was some switched on clever businessman when actually he was just a rich kid pissing away his fathers money he'd inherited.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

We could go for his younger half Irish brother.

R Gwan

Or both and have Gwan, Gwan. 

Â