Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ings may not have worked out as we all wanted but I still think it was a good move by the club at the time.

Surely that's too early to judge, just like it's too early to judge Buendia, Young and Bailey signings yet.  Loads of fans complain that Watkins has been affected by Ings playing but surely it's the same the other way.  Not only that but the chances created for our strikers has been incredibly poor until now.  We know he can score, we finally have some creativity, so we can only start to judge when that is allowed and he can take the opportunity.  To judge him based on flaws in the team and that's all his fault is harsh especially when Watkins is suffering the same fate.  We have two quality strikers that are well under par this season which tells us it's not all their fault. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Surely that's too early to judge, just like it's too early to judge Buendia, Young and Bailey signings yet.  Loads of fans complain that Watkins has been affected by Ings playing but surely it's the same the other way.  Not only that but the chances created for our strikers has been incredibly poor until now.  We know he can score, we finally have some creativity, so we can only start to judge when that is allowed and he can take the opportunity.  To judge him based on flaws in the team and that's all his fault is harsh especially when Watkins is suffering the same fate.  We have two quality strikers that are well under par this season which tells us it's not all their fault. 

Oh yeh, I still think he’ll come good he just hasn’t hit the ground running as we all hoped. But as you say he’s still a quality striker to have in the squad. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Oh yeh, I still think he’ll come good he just hasn’t hit the ground running as we all hoped. But as you say he’s still a quality striker to have in the squad. 

I think most of our squad hasn’t hit the ground running this season to be fair either.  It just feels if we got Bissouma and clicked we’d be a really strong team and Ings is the type of striker that would bag a fair few goals.

Not sure why this idea that Ings is so much of a better footballer than Watkins has consumed so many, Ings shows good technical ability at times, but he only uses it to score goals, and maybe the odd assist, he doesn't use his so called superior footballing ability to affect the game in any other way.

This sudden idea that Watkins isn't a good football, is a total myth in of itself, he has a few games where a few things don't come off, and suddenly he dosn't have good link up and isn't a good passer, and so on and so on, none of that's true, his link up play is one of his strenths, he's shown it at times this season, and it was vital to us last season, he was also brilliant at it for Brentford, who probably play in a similar way to how Gerrard wants us to play, so this idea that he's less suited to Gerrard's system than Ings, doesn't ring any bells to me.

Ings is good at what he's good at what he's good at, which is scoring goals, he's always been 'fox in the box' type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure why this idea that Ings is so much of a better footballer than Watkins has consumed so many, Ings shows good technical ability at times, but he only uses it to score goals, and maybe the odd assist, he doesn't use his so called superior footballing ability to affect the game in any other way.

This sudden idea that Watkins isn't a good football, is a total myth in of itself, he has a few games where a few things don't come off, and suddenly he dosn't have good link up and isn't a good passer, and so on and so on, none of that's true, his link up play is one of his strenths, he's shown it at times this season, and it was vital to us last season, he was also brilliant at it for Brentford, who probably play in a similar way to how Gerrard wants us to play, so this idea that he's less suited to Gerrard's system than Ings, doesn't ring any bells to me.

Ings is good at what he's good at what he's good at, which is scoring goals, he's always been 'fox in the box' type.

Strikes me as the best way for a striker to use their talents. What else do you feel he should he be using his technical ability to impact?

I agree that Watkins link up play, though still frustrating at times, has improved dramatically. His finishing is not where it needs to be though.

Because people have been arguing that Ings is better suited to the way that Gerrard wants to play based on the idea that he's better footballer than Watkins, he isn't a better footballer than Watkins, and what footballing ability he does have he uses almost exclusively to score goals. He's bascially like a more hard working version of Darren Bent and I mean the Darren Bent when he was good. Watkins is the much better all round player, and much better suited to Gerrard's system

• Like 2

Cant believe some are suggesting that we shouldn't have signed him or are hoping he is sold, what ever your views on him its great just to have quality options.

They should not play together from now on, thats for sure, but having one on the bench is so reassuring.

I'm sure ings will be upgraded sooner rather than later but at this moment in time he's a good option for a club of our stature.

• Like 2

It’s a signing that has really messed us up… probably cost Dean his job in trying to accommodate him too and pissing about with 5-3-2… unnecessary disruption. 

Now SG appears to be struggling with the same conundrum of dealing with and trying to accommodate Ings & Watkins…

Sad to see Ollie so off his game when he was absolutely brilliant for us last season… more of my “loyalty” lies with him as he has already demonstrated what an asset he can be for us and has more to his game than just finishing. He’s younger and will continue to improve too. One of the hardest working players I’ve seen at our club but he has the talent to back it up too. What a debut against Liverpool! I loved his goal against Everton, pressurising and dispossessing the defender and going on to score. Not many strikers that do that… he can get back to his best…

They don’t work together and get in each other’s way more than anything, bit of a disaster…

Nothing against Ings, he seems like a good bloke and is a good finisher but so far, there’s no doubt that this move hasn’t worked out and has been costly to us, in more than one way.

The signing didn’t seem all that wise at the time either… significant transfer fee and high wages for an ageing player with a poor injury record (though he seemed to largely overcome that while at So’ton).

I hope it can work out, but so far it hasn’t…

His finish against Brentford showed us what he can offer… but at what cost?

He’s mostly seemed to be a passenger in the majority of our games…maybe we’re failing to accommodate him but it’s also had a negative effect on our existing players…

I just hope SG can solve this somehow…

• Like 1

I see the point in having depth and extra options but I’m sure that neither Watkins or Ings will be happy to sit on the bench (also seems silly for us to spend so heavily, both in terms of transfer fee and high wages, and keep that player as a reserve…) and will just demand a move as soon as they notice their game time reducing.

When either of them could get a move elsewhere and be a starter, why would they be happy to sit on the bench here?

One of them will have to for now anyway (please🙏), but I can see whoever it is demanding a move away in the next window…

For now, I just hope we drop one of them and play our best possible team. Coutinho and Buendia creating for the CF will be something to behold…

We also have Bailey to return, I’m eager to see the best of him - a very talented player.

Finally, I just never thought the Ings transfer was well though out or considered.

No plan or idea of how we were going to implement him into our side and how we would manage Watkins (or how it would affect him).

Again, it hasn’t worked out and (so far) has resembled a bit of a disaster…

Hope that changes, asap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Danny Ings was bought to solve a problem we didnt have

I think we did have a problem which was not having a decent back up striker, and Ings is a very good back up. Trouble is both managers have tried to play both together.

The two strikers are very different, which in my mind is good. I prefer Watkins up front, but would not be against Ings up front if the coaches prefer that, or indeed rotation.

4 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Not sure how you can argue that. Last season our backup striker was Keinan Davis. Steven has even gone on to say that he wants two PL level players at each position so we absolutely needed to bring in quality this summer at striker. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Finally, I just never thought the Ings transfer was well though out or considered.

No plan or idea of how we were going to implement him into our side and how we would manage Watkins (or how it would affect him).

Again, it hasn’t worked out and (so far) has resembled a bit of a disaster…

Hope that changes, asap.

I think it was quite clear Smith wanted to play 3 5 2 in many games and be adaptable in formation like how Potter is at Brighton. He promised Axel game time in this formation so he joined us instead of Newcastle. Smith wanted us to be less predictable and wanted to be able to play 4 3 3, 4 4 2 and 3 5 2

So Watkins and Ings would get game time together and we'd have games where one would be on the bench. Plus it solved the "we are screwed if Watkins gets injured" problem. 

So tbf to Smith he had a plan. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Danny ings was the equivenlent of a Dr Tony signing. Look down the list of top scorers in the league and pick one, without consideration on how they will fit into a system. 

I've just explained why he was signed and there was clearly thought put in about the system. 

7 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Yep, we needed a hardworking forward to lead the line in the absence of Watkins. 

We didn't need a penalty box tap in merchant.

We've don't play a style that supports that and haven't for years.

Â