Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Brighton away was a pen and a deflection.

The bicycle kick goal as @Zatmanmentions was indeed a moment of pure magic.

I just wonder if we’ll really miss him all that much. One of those players I rated and personally wouldn’t have sold, but not sure it’s as big a mistake as some think.

Watkins would be a much bigger loss IMO, especially to Emery, even though on an individual level it’s hard to say Watkins is better than Ings.

We’ll find out in the coming weeks if we don’t sign a replacement, and If Watkins and Bailey continue their inconsistent form in front of goal.

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We’ll find out in the coming weeks if we don’t sign a replacement, and If Watkins and Bailey continue their inconsistent form in front of goal.

Their form in front of goal has been pretty good under Emery though hasn't it?

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Their form in front of goal has been pretty good under Emery though hasn't it?

They have scored the same amount of league goals combined as Ings has under Emery, which isn’t great considering they start every game and Ings on the bench.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It sounded like ings wanted to leave anyway 

Yes, and I can understand that given that he's been on the bench quite a lot despite scoring twice as many league goals as Ollie. (Ings 6, Watkins 3).

Ollie's had significantly more starts than him.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ollie offers way way more to the team than Ings does. It’s not just about goals

Yes, Watkins runs fights and presses. But one on one with the keeper, put your house on the keeper (as he hits it straight at him) 

Having 60% possession doesn't mean squat it your forwards dont score. 

• Like 1

I think this is a massive risk by Emery.  Selling our top scorer  without an obvious replacement in place is risky enough,  but bear in mind that although he's got 18 appearances, a lot have been as sub or he's been subbed off, and he's still  scored a goal every 136 minutes this season.  That's a goal every game and a half - who's going to replace that kind of scoring ratio?    Most team's wouldn't sell a one-in-two PL striker, let alone a one-in-1.5 because they can be as rare as rocking horse shit.     

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I think this is a massive risk by Emery.  Selling our top scorer  without an obvious replacement in place is risky enough,  but bear in mind that although he's got 18 appearances, a lot have been as sub or he's been subbed off, and he's still  scored a goal every 136 minutes this season.  That's a goal every game and a half - who's going to replace that kind of scoring ratio?    Most team's wouldn't sell a one-in-two PL striker, let alone a one-in-1.5 because they can be as rare as rocking horse shit.     

All true but it also shows up a massive flaw in Danny Ings in that he’s not seemingly capable of doing a full 90 mins.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Now i've had time to think about it, I think it was a smart move by the club to sell him now tbh. May not get another opportunity like this again. 

Could possibly be some short term pain for long term gain but we shall see. Big picture,  I think it's the right move. 

Yeah for what he was actually giving the team in playing minutes, he was a very expensive player to have on the books. We can reinvest that cash in a regular starter.

No issues with Ings as a player or as a person, did his best every time he stepped on the pitch, and scored some important goals. But the signing never quite made sense. Clearly we need a natural goalscorer in the squad, but I think we'll be looking for a different all-round profile of player.

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All true but it also shows up a massive flaw in Danny Ings in that he’s not seemingly capable of doing a full 90 mins.

I don't agree, but even if he only managed 70 minutes every game he'd get you a goal every two games or less.  

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ollie offers way way more to the team than Ings does. It’s not just about goals

I wouldn't have said way more. Ings obviously doesn't have the energy and strength of Watkins, but as well as his finishing and the intelligence of his runs, his linkup is also better. Look at the one touch assist for the Sanson goal for example, Watkins is unlikely to spot that let alone execute it.

Edited by Tom13

Â