Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But he is making an impact, quite a significant one in some games.

He is, but we could use the money to bring in someone that could be a consistent starter in a team playing the football that Emery wants to play.

£100k+ / week is a lot for someone that isn’t a first choice player.

I think the reported fee of £12M is very low, i'd have thought we could still get £15 to £20M for him given his scoring record, but if we've really accepted that then it indicates that Emery doesn't see any longterm future for him and i guess it helps with the FFP position.

Given that Lange was involved in the purchase of Ings i'm not sure i trust him to find a suitable replacement, but i suspect Emery is having a lot more control of signings, and we have every reason to trust his judgement. It looks like another nail in Lange's coffin and i suspect he won't be here come the summer window...

Just now, fightoffyour said:

We won't be playing with 10 men if we sell Ings. Someone else will get the goals.

Well Ollie isn't scoring enough.  And if Ollie gets injured we've got the option of a kid who hasn't played in any of the top 5 leagues yet (but might be brilliant) and umm Leon Bailey - who 2 games ago half the forum seemed to think was the worst player in the squad - who should never wear the shirt again - and is certainly not a striker.

IF Ings does go then I am sure that UE and the Board will ensure that we aren't left in that position.  But selling him without replacing him would be a terrible, terrible decision.

• Like 2

I'd be very surprised if Ings is interested in  moving to any of the clubs that are supposedly in for him. He might get a longer deal than his current one, but theres every chance that his 'new' manager will be gone by the end of the month.....and then there's the inevitable wage reduction clause in the event of relegation. I'd be sorely tempted to stick rather than twist and back myself to force my way into the managers plans (not that I think he's out of Emerys plans).....why would he risk it ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

But you’re not discussing it Nick, you’re panicking. If you trust him, you have to let him do his thing. He’s not going to leave himself short, and hinder his ability to do his job. Stop worrying mate! We’ve got the right guy in charge.

Thanks mate, I am panicking I agree and I’m not happy.  I guess it’s hard to relax after bad outcomes especially for the last twenty years, it’s hard to get that out of the system.

12 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

He is, but we could use the money to bring in someone that could be a consistent starter in a team playing the football that Emery wants to play.

£100k+ / week is a lot for someone that isn’t a first choice player.

I couldn't care less how much he is on as long as he is making an impact, scoring goals and winning us points.

• Like 1

I think this is just as much about getting him off the wage bill than the transfer fee.  He doesn’t look as sharp as he used to and although he will get you the odd goal he’s overall game isn’t good enough any more. He is probably open to a move as well as will probably be first choice at West Ham. 

Move makes sense all round to me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Thanks mate, I am panicking I agree and I’m not happy.  I guess it’s hard to relax after bad outcomes especially for the last twenty years, it’s hard to get that out of the system.

We have Aston Villa PTSD, but we have the right man now.

On 15/01/2023 at 10:57, Don_Simon said:

I'd *bet good money, (£2 max), that Danny Ings is an Everton player by the end of the transfer window. It fits the narrative in so many ways.

(I don't bet, but if I did, it would be on this).

Make it rain.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

If we do sell then anything below 20 million is poor business. We paid 7/8 for Samatta 3 years ago when we were desperate and we should not allow West Ham or whoever off the hook

Big business call from Purslow to show he still deserves his seat

I mean. We've just paid £14m for someone with half a season (of starts) in MLS and a moderate record or success. 

The fees here seem way off. 

He has been patchy for us since signing, shows signs of being a great finisher and links up play pretty well, but doesn't have the mobility of Watkins up front which is an important part of forward play in the modern era. Ings will also be in the final year of his contract in the summer, so I can understand from a FFP point of view and for the club and player why this deal may happen. I just hope that we have a forward lined up to sign this window (as well as Duran), otherwise we may be short of quality up front if we suffer an injury to either Watkins or Bailey and Duran takes time to settle.

Made sense at the time and was happy with the signing but I was aware at Soton he was knocking in like quarter chances sometimes. I think we expected him to get 12-15 goals a season minimum. Unfortunately when he signed it looked like he'd aged nearly a decade over the summer

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Yeah I just worry because it’s Purslow and Lange doing the deals and their history is mixed as I just wrote in the other thread.  Hopefully Emery has better success with them.

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Yes definitely , sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in cold shivers re living Van Nistelrooy coming off the bench and knocking us out of the FA Cup. It’s terrible what being a villa fan does to you 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I couldn't care less how much he is on as long as he is making an impact, scoring goals and winning us points.

Fair enough.

Finances aside I'm still in favour of this if Emery thinks a replacement can offer more to the whole team.

It's a tricky one this.  While not amazing, he hasn't been terrible either.

But he has recently made significant contributions off the bench winning us points. And Emery himself has said he's happy with Watkins and Ings, they both offer something different, which is what Emery wants.

If we don't' have someone lined up we shouldn't sell, as it will leave us short.
If West Ham want him then we should be asking for £20m, otherwise they can enjoy their relegation battle.

Ings is our current Plan B. Without him there is just Plan A.

Would like to see what Plan B.2 is before rushing to judge 

If it leaves us with just Plan A, it's a worry because we are not convincingly clear of the bottom pack just yet.

• Like 1

Â