Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

£10m is circa 3/4 places in the league table prize money so might aswell keep him, Would still get around that at the end of the season when we have time for a more suitable replacement 

£15/20m upfront + £5m add on if they stay up or go down but come back up within 2 seasons. 

Edited by Kingman

The best goals per minute by far. I don’t see how this can be a good idea… self sabotage. He should be playing way for us - who sells their top scorer in Jan without a replacement already there?! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Whether Ings was a good purchase or the right fit for us is the wrong question.

Whether we should "cash in" while we can ( due to high age, high wages) rather than wait is also the wrong question.

The right question is: What other team in this league would sell their top scorer to an opposition team that is below them and struggling?

Answer: None. And neither should we

For me, he’s not first choice, I think his legs are gone, he’s on serious wages, he’s turning 31, he might want minutes that we’re not offering him. If we can get 15 million for him and have a replacement it’s an absolute no brainer. 

• Like 1

We’ve scored 11 goals in the league since Emery joined, Ings scored 2 from open play and a penalty, no assists. If we get a replacement, get a decent fee from him and get his wages off the books I don’t see how we can say no. And I don’t care about strengthening West Ham. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

£10m is circa 3/4 places in the league table prize money so might aswell keep him, Would still get around that at the end of the season when we have time for a more suitable replacement 

£15/20m upfront + £5m add on if they stay up or go down but come back up within 2 seasons. 

You would never sell a player on those terms they are frankly ridiculous. Sure add a few million on for staying up. Sure wait for 15m but you can’t make it 20 and add money on for if you come back up for a guy that isn’t first choice here on massive wages turning 31 soon and doesn’t suit our style.

just laughable, there has to be give and take

This is dumb beyond means.  I bloody hope they have somebody coming in if he does go because to sell a goalscorer and to be left with Ollie a non scoring striker and then the raw, untested, kid of Duran would just be plain dumb.

None of this Deulofeu or Danjuma chat if we could get them in would be back up. We need a striker if Ings goes and I think we need a striker anyway.  This moves makes no sense unless we are moving big for a main striker.

Emery said that he sent Archer out on loan because he was happy with Ollie and Ings.  I don't think a 19 year-old from MLS is a replacement for Ings.  The premier league is a massive step up in class from MLS and I don't think Duran will see much playing time between now and May.  You need (at least) two players for each position in a decent squad and I think Ings is very much a part of the squad.  (I remember when ManUre had Cole, Sheringham, Yorke and Solskjaer in a 4-4-2 and used all four of them regularly to win the treble).  All this talk of selling Ings because of making money etc I think is irrelevant to our owners.  They would never have sanctioned the transfer of a 29 year-old in the first place if they were worried about his sell-on value.  

I also don't agree that Ings isn't suitable for our style or that his legs have gone.  He's not ancient and since Emery has come in has been extremely effective.  We have a history of buying strikers and then not playing them to their strengths - until now.  I think because he has thinning hair and sweats a lot it deceives some.  He puts in a decent shift has scored regularly when played and is valuable to us. 

Wet Spam and Everton will try to get him on the cheap - why wouldn't they, given their current positions and lack of scorers.  He's a better option than Maupay or Antonio!  But unless we have someone better lined up I just don't see him being sold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

He’s now 3rd choice

Third choice? If you mean behind Ollie and Bailey, then ok but I wouldn’t class Bailey in the same role/context as Ollie and Ings.  If you mean Ollie and Duran, that’s just not true, Duran will be 3rd behind those two just like Archer was. 

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I know it's a bit of a sunk cost fallacy and he's probably on some massive wages but i'd rather keep him for 10mil. I'd feel very differently if we had an established natural goalscorer. Hopefully we buy someone or Archer gets a good run.

If Archer was good enough he wouldn't have been loaned out to sit on Boro bench for +80 mins while midfielder plays up front

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If Archer was good enough he wouldn't have been loaned out to sit on Boro bench for +80 mins while midfielder plays up front

Sometimes loans don’t work out to be fair, he’s also barely played with us this season. Should have been sent back to Preston in the summer. I agree though he wouldn’t be the answer 

Edited by IrishVilla10

5 hours ago, Amed said:

Terrible decision if we let him go now. 

That's not true. 

Whether you agree with what happens is up to you, but there's too much upside to selling him to be a "terrible decision".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

How ? We play one upfront. He’s now 3rd choice. He can’t play out wide. He’s on an astronomical wage. If we can sell on a permanent, get a decent fee and off the wage bill - i see no downside. 

He is not 3rd choice. The Colombian kid is clearly not ready for Premier League yet

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nigel said:

That's not true. 

Whether you agree with what happens is up to you, but there's too much upside to selling him to be a "terrible decision".

I can’t agree, there is too much downside losing him.  Yes he’s on large wages but he’s our only goalscoring striker, can fit certain Emery styles, settled in the squad, liked by other players, scores goals, relatively happy coming off the bench, does press and can create goals as well.  

Selling him for £10-15m is just silly given, at the moment, we don’t have a replacement, we aren’t blessed in the striker department, everybody is looking for a striker so it’s a sellers market so we’ll be paying over the odds for anybody and likely the best will have better options than us.  

Mainly you don’t sell your striker for relatively small amount whose playing well and scoring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Amed said:

Terrible decision if we let him go now. 

It would be if we were fighting relegation and had gerrard as manager.

But considering we are neither, also that he is on high wages and almost 31 if we can get close to what we paid for him i think its with a heavy heart we let danny go.

Honesty goes with our best wishes.  Dannys been a absolute great lad here

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It would be if we were fighting relegation and had gerrard as manager.

But considering we are neither, also that he is on high wages and almost 31 if we can get close to what we paid for him i think its with a heavy heart we let danny go.

Honesty goes with our best wishes.  Dannys been a absolute great lad here

But surely you’d only be saying this if we had a replacement deal ready?

Â