Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

Let's face it, he doesn't fit Emery's system very well.  Not quick enough and doesn't offer enough creativity for those around him.  He's now 30 and past his sell by date.  10-15 million pounds is good money for him, but we need another striker to replace him because relying on a 19 year old MLS striker to replace his goals in the second half of the season is a scary thought.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But surely you’d only be saying this if we had a replacement deal ready?

If it meant panic buy if rather save the money until the summer to get a top striker

I would have been ok with watkins bailey archer/duran in summer if ut means we can get a top striker in the summer

Just now, KMitch said:

Let's face it, he doesn't fit Emery's system very well.

Incorrect

Just now, KMitch said:

Not quick enough

Not always a factor in Emery’s systems

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

doesn't offer enough creativity for those around him

This is a joke?

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

He's now 30 and past his sell by date

Our most in form scoring striker you mean…got us a draw against Wolves and created a great assist at the end that Bailey fluffed.

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

10-15 million pounds is good money for him

Very debatable 

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

but we need another striker to replace him because relying on a 19 year old MLS striker to replace his goals in the second half of the season is a scary thought.  

Finally something I can agree with…

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

If it meant panic buy if rather save the money until the summer to get a top striker

I would have been ok with watkins bailey archer/duran in summer if ut means we can get a top striker in the summer

But everybody is looking for a striker and will be the same in the summer.  I think selling Ings is silly until you get his replacement in place. Selling Ings and not having a replacement lined up is bad football business.  The problem is you’re assuming we will get a top striker…I’d rather wait until that’s almost in place before letting go of Ings.  I would be heavily disappointed if our options are Watkins, bailey and archer/duran.

Great if we get a top striker but don’t sell Ings until that is done or at least in place.  Relying basically on Watkins and Bailey is scary and Duran we have to be patient with at best.

Just now, nick76 said:

But everybody is looking for a striker and will be the same in the summer.  I think selling Ings is silly until you get his replacement in place. Selling Ings and not having a replacement lined up is bad football business.  The problem is you’re assuming we will get a top striker…I’d rather wait until that’s almost in place before letting go of Ings.  I would be heavily disappointed if our options are Watkins, bailey and archer/duran.

Great if we get a top striker but don’t sell Ings until that is done or at least in place.  Relying basically on Watkins and Bailey is scary and Duran we have to be patient with at best.

United who have more transfer power than us could only come up with a loan for Weghorst. Ings is probably a better player than him so we arent going to find some elite striker to replace Ings

Just now, Zatman said:

United who have more transfer power than us could only come up with a loan for Weghorst. Ings is probably a better player than him so we arent going to find some elite striker to replace Ings

I know! I don’t get how easily some of our fans are willing to let go of Ings, it’s bizarre….it’s not as if it’s massive money for us.  Even the argument on wages is dumb because yes it’s 120k but any half decent striker is going to be on very good money and no guarantee he’ll be any good whereas Ings is settled and doing well for us under Emery.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know! I don’t get how easily some of our fans are willing to let go of Ings, it’s bizarre….it’s not as if it’s massive money for us.  Even the argument on wages is dumb because yes it’s 120k but any half decent striker is going to be on very good money and no guarantee he’ll be any good whereas Ings is settled and doing well for us under Emery.

He’s actually a good footballer too, not just a target man but some brilliant passes. If we were buying him for 10-12 mill to be a back up to Ollie for a couple of years, I think fans would be pleased!

• Like 1

I’m in keep Ings camp unless we have someone who can come in and be a new no.1 eg replace Watkins in 1st XI. 

That seems like a summer buy rather than a Jan one. 

Also figures are way too low. Clubs drop £20m on players with one decent season in inferior leagues without thinking. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

He’s actually a good footballer too, not just a target man but some brilliant passes. If we were buying him for 10-12 mill to be a back up to Ollie for a couple of years, I think fans would be pleased!

I agree, some fans wouldn’t be happy with his age but overall would be happy getting a player in with that history for that value.  This wouldn’t be a good deal for us now as the seller.

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I can’t agree, there is too much downside losing him.  Yes he’s on large wages but he’s our only goalscoring striker, can fit certain Emery styles, settled in the squad, liked by other players, scores goals, relatively happy coming off the bench, does press and can create goals as well.  

Selling him for £10-15m is just silly given, at the moment, we don’t have a replacement, we aren’t blessed in the striker department, everybody is looking for a striker so it’s a sellers market so we’ll be paying over the odds for anybody and likely the best will have better options than us.  

Mainly you don’t sell your striker for relatively small amount whose playing well and scoring.

But that's your point of view nick, which you are entitled to. However the other side can't be ignored either.

Thus what ever happens won't be a terrible decision,  just one you don't agree with.

We have only Watkins as a Striker, Ings is competition for him and a very useful one. Under Emery alone he came off the bench against Wolves, scored the equaliser and played a brilliant pass to Bailey who should have won it for us. Watkins was ill and couldn't start away to Brighton, Ings scored both goals in a 2-1 comeback win. We have let Cam Archer go on Loan and we've signed a kid who has just turned 19 who will take time to adapt to the LEague and we can't be comparing to such an experienced Striker like Ings atm. 

IF there is a replacement for Ings out there why aren't the clubs like Everton, West Ham, Southampton all bidding for him. It's simply there is no replacement available. So it becomes a trade off now, selling Ings will weaken us but are the financial benefits worth the trade off. He costs us 15mil per year in wages and amortisation. He has remaining book value of 12.5m. If We sell him for 15 or so million we book a 2.5m profit in our accounts this year and save 3.1m in wages so that will be in around the 5-6m boost to our accounts. 

This is all assuming we have this additional attacker Emery wants in, so essentially someone to partner Watkins up top and compete with Bailey. We are then back to 3 attackers but 1 Striker and 2 Forwards

13 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yes he's an outstanding defensive forward. Tackles, blocks, clearances he's among the best in the world per 90

Danny Ings Stats, Goals, Records, Assists, Cups and more | FBref.com

Â