Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

The big worry for me is if we get overrun in midfield

I think that would be more of a problem against better teams. There is very little quality in this Watford team. I don't think they have the ability to overrun our midfield. I think we are going to enjoy a comfortable and dominant win this afternoon. 

Really looking forward to watching this, unfortunately I will have to wait till after the final whistle to watch it on AVTV though

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The big worry for me is if we get overrun in midfield, Young will end up playing as a second left back, El Ghazi will just be isolated Ings will have o service, Buendia will end up chasing and pressing rather than playing and we'll struggle - we have absolutely no one on the bench we can bring on to stiffen up the middle of the park - Jacob Ramsey will never be that type of player, Chukwuemeka is an attacking player, we'd have to bring on a CB and change the shape.

Last season our strongest midfield two, Mcginn and Luiz, and whether they were good enough was something that we argued about all year - we're currently playing McGinn and the bloke we use in emergencies with Luiz still away and Sanson having spent six months struggling with injuries - the whole area needs a rethink - we've got a line up of strikers that could push for the top six, a back five that could push for the top six and a central midfield that would push for the Championship playoffs.

I’m not so worried about this vs Watford, but against better teams, sure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Armchair fan mentality.

Davis injured aswell so we'd be starting Wes and having no backup striker on the bench so that would be a bit of a damp start to the bright new era.

I guess it’s just a question of where Ollie and Ings fit in the same team.

I’m no fan of 4-4-2 myself and think it weakens the midfield.

Very pleased we signed Ings though and we definitely needed another option. 

8 minutes ago, rubberman said:

But, but I thought Watkins couldn't get injured and had never ever missed a game so we didn't need another striker? 

Smith said that there was a chance that he would be fit for today so hopefully he will be ready to return for our match against Wolves in October 

• Haha 1

Just now, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Looking at the bench, I think Dean and crew are expecting some big youth output this season. It’s exciting to see those three on the bench.

Think we’ll see at least one of them on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Ings will pick up injuries aswell as season goes on, he picked up a couple at Southampton last season which kept him out for a few weeks, hopefully nothing serious like the ACLs he had at Liverpool though.

It's all about options. Some games they'll both start upfront, others Ollie will be placed a bit wider (probably v top 6) and sometimes Ings will be on the bench and be 60th minute impact option so looking forward to how it pans out.

Haven't had this depth since we had Abraham and Kodj upfront and even then Kodj wasn't the same after his injuries and was being eased out of the line up.

Just praying the same 11 stays fit every single week is always a failed strategy. As we saw last season with you know who and then xmas 2019 when we lost three key players to injury and our form massively declined so very pleasing we've got depth in most areas now. Up to DS to work out the rest.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

4-4-2 is just a tool, like any formation. Ultimately it’s about putting your players in spaces that hurt the opposition. 442 gives extra width for example at the expense of central presence. Against teams that set up narrowly, have poor quality centre mids and centre backs with limited aerial ability it can be devastating.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The big worry for me is if we get overrun in midfield, Young will end up playing as a second left back, El Ghazi will just be isolated Ings will have o service, Buendia will end up chasing and pressing rather than playing and we'll struggle - we have absolutely no one on the bench we can bring on to stiffen up the middle of the park - Jacob Ramsey will never be that type of player, Chukwuemeka is an attacking player, we'd have to bring on a CB and change the shape.

Last season our strongest midfield two, Mcginn and Luiz, and whether they were good enough was something that we argued about all year - we're currently playing McGinn and the bloke we use in emergencies with Luiz still away and Sanson having spent six months struggling with injuries - the whole area needs a rethink - we've got a line up of strikers that could push for the top six, a back five that could push for the top six and a central midfield that would push for the Championship playoffs.

I definitely think a big signing in the middle of the park is essential, but I don’t think our CM is that bad. 

Watford have a 31 year old Tom Cleverley, a guy who couldn’t stand out in Stoke’s team, and a 34-year-old new signing. It could be worse.

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I definitely think a big signing in the middle of the park is essential, but I don’t think our CM is that bad. 

Watford have a 31 year old Tom Cleverley, a guy who couldn’t stand out in Stoke’s team, and a 34-year-old new signing. It could be worse.

In fairness they are not aiming for Europe.

13 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Nakamba starts, AEG starts, I'm sure that'll raise a few eyebrows but let's see how they go. Nakamba especially is still developing as a player.

Not sure they'll score if our back 5 are on it. Like Mings as captain and looking forward to seeing Buendia as a 10.

Nakamba starting shouldn't raise any eyebrows was expected as DL is still on his jollies after the Olympics.