Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, Buendia as a ten with El Ghazi on the right and Young on the left - Nakamba and McGinn centrally and the usual back five.

Looks so-so, we're obviously missing two or three, but I still think we ought to be in the market for a player or two.

We have Bailey, Watkins and Traore to fill in but, on days like this, I see your point OBE. I am expecting nothing from El-Ghazi today as he's never really produced from that side of attack. Hope to be proved wrong though. 

I think Young has his chance today to prove he will be more than back up this season. 

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Ings was on the pitch when ElGhazi took a pen last Sunday. I expect elGhazi is still on pen duty

personally i would give it to Ings, once some of our other first teamers are fit and able to do a full 90 (Bailey, Watkins), El Ghazi wont even be in the starting 11, so i would give the goal/confidence builder pens to Ings 100%.

• Like 1

It’s clearly not our strongest team with Young and AEG starting - I’d imagine Ollie and Bailey will be ahead of them when fully fit (hopefully for next game). Expect Bailey to come on today at some point.

Even so we still have goals in us and Watford’s defence looks dreadful on paper - I’d be surprised and disappointed if we didn’t score a couple today and we should hopefully have enough to win.

Sarr is their biggest threat down the right side so Young/Targett hopefully on it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

But, but I thought Watkins couldn't get injured and had never ever missed a game so we didn't need another striker? 

Armchair fan mentality.

Davis injured aswell so we'd be starting Wes and having no backup striker on the bench so that would be a bit of a damp start to the bright new era.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

personally i would give it to Ings, once some of our other first teamers are fit and able to do a full 90 (Bailey, Watkins), El Ghazi wont even be in the starting 11, so i would give the goal/confidence builder pens to Ings 100%.

My thoughts too

Nakamba starts, AEG starts, I'm sure that'll raise a few eyebrows but let's see how they go. Nakamba especially is still developing as a player.

Not sure they'll score if our back 5 are on it. Like Mings as captain and looking forward to seeing Buendia as a 10.

Just now, romavillan said:

Nakamba starts, AEG starts, I'm sure that'll raise a few eyebrows but let's see how they go. Nakamba especially is still developing as a player.

Not sure they'll score if our back 5 are on it. Like Mings as captain and looking forward to seeing Buendia as a 10.

Nakamba started in our wins against spuds and Chelsea back end of last season. He makes the odd error but has improved massively since his first season at the club.

Will be nice to have Luiz back though, and Sanson too. Still hopeful of a big CM/DM signing before the window closes.

• Like 3

The big worry for me is if we get overrun in midfield, Young will end up playing as a second left back, El Ghazi will just be isolated Ings will have o service, Buendia will end up chasing and pressing rather than playing and we'll struggle - we have absolutely no one on the bench we can bring on to stiffen up the middle of the park - Jacob Ramsey will never be that type of player, Chukwuemeka is an attacking player, we'd have to bring on a CB and change the shape.

Last season our strongest midfield two, Mcginn and Luiz, and whether they were good enough was something that we argued about all year - we're currently playing McGinn and the bloke we use in emergencies with Luiz still away and Sanson having spent six months struggling with injuries - the whole area needs a rethink - we've got a line up of strikers that could push for the top six, a back five that could push for the top six and a central midfield that would push for the Championship playoffs.

• Like 3

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Nakamba started in our wins against spuds and Chelsea back end of last season. He makes the odd error but has improved massively since his first season at the club.

Will be nice to have Luiz back though, and Sanson too. Still hopeful of a big CM/DM signing before the window closes.

Unless we get a real upgrade in, I'd save the money for next year. No need for another 15 million midfielder. We have many of those.