Tim Iroegbunam

useless

2 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

Surely his absence from the American trip is just a matter of numbers? We have four senior centre midfielders going and it's unlikely Tim would get a game. He is better off staying here and training (unless a loan move is about to happen).

Worth remembering that we start every game with four central midfielders.

You chaps may disagree but I think he is being lined up for one of the two central midfield berths rather than the wide attacking roles and is therefore competing with/behind Luiz/Kamara/Tielemans/Dendoncker. Before the Walsall friendly he was doing a piggy-in-the-middle style exercise where he had to collect and use the ball quickly with players around him. The only other player I could see doing this was Luiz.

Not sure if it's been mentioned and will be irrelevant if he goes on loan but would he count as a club developed player in terms of a European squad?

He was an academy player but pretty late on after getting him off West Brom.

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned and will be irrelevant if he goes on loan but would he count as a club developed player in terms of a European squad?

He was an academy player but pretty late on after getting him off West Brom.

No because we signed him aged 18 and then loaned him for a year so can’t make the 3 years trained at the club to be club-home-grown.

He doesn’t qualifies as an u21 / underage player either, even though he is the correct age there’s a restriction that u21 players need to  be at the club for a period of 2 years (or 3 years if loaned out once) in order to be eligible as an additional u21 squad player 

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Is it pronounced ear-rogue-bun-am with the accent on the second syllable, and is the a sound in "am" like bath or trap?

Iroegbunam

He’s of Nigerian decent so the (I) should be pronounced as an ee instead of an aye but we all know nobody on commentary wil get their heads around that 😂😂

• Thanks 1

Needs another season on loan in the Championship.  Not good enough for the first team yet and was the worst of our Championship loanees last season, including KKH.  I want him to succeed at Villa, but the amount of unwarranted praise he gets from Villa supporters is kind of ridiculous right now.  On the other hand, Aaron Ramsey played very well for TWO Championship clubs last season and I rarely see him get hyped up.  

15 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

is the a sound in "am" like bath or trap?

I'm not a cockney shandy drinker, so 'bath' and 'trap' both have the same vowel sound, as far as I'm concerned.  :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Needs another season on loan in the Championship.  Not good enough for the first team yet and was the worst of our Championship loanees last season, including KKH.  I want him to succeed at Villa, but the amount of unwarranted praise he gets from Villa supporters is kind of ridiculous right now.  On the other hand, Aaron Ramsey played very well for TWO Championship clubs last season and I rarely see him get hyped up.  

KKH was third choice RB within a month behind an injured old midfielder and a lad from the Hudds academy who was both younger than KKH and also not a RB. 

Aaron Ramsey was disliked by the majority of the Norwich fanbase.

I think QPR fans were fairly glowing in their assessment of Iroegbunam on the whole. 

Is there a reason you think his season at QPR was a huge failure?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

He played very well for QPR for the first half of the season. He was ticking along nicely and arguably their strangest performer. 

Then QPR lost their marbles and began messing with managers in the second half. That never helps. 

I agree he needs another loan, but he did well in his last spell away despite QPRs best efforts to implode. 

16 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Is it pronounced ear-rogue-bun-am with the accent on the second syllable, and is the a sound in "am" like bath or trap?

Iroegbunam

Dad joke answer: it's pronounced "Tim"

Pedantic answer: I don't pronounce bath and trap in the same way 

FWIW I found the video of Gerrard's post-match interview where he is asked how to pronounce it and he says it's taken a few months to learn it. However I still can't get over my irrational hatred of the man so I would say that I don't trust his pronunciation of it either. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12602892/steven-gerrard-theres-a-pathway-for-youth-players-at-villa

Judging by that I think it's pronounced ee-rhoo-byoo-num

ee as in tree, rhoo as in Kanga, byoo as in blue without the "l" and num as in the popular linkin park song. The "G" is silent. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not a cockney shandy drinker, so 'bath' and 'trap' both have the same vowel sound, as far as I'm concerned.  :) 

53 minutes ago, skarroki said:

FWIW I found the video of Gerrard's post-match interview where he is asked how to pronounce it and he says it's taken a few months to learn it. However I still can't get over my irrational hatred of the man so I would say that I don't trust his pronunciation of it either. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12602892/steven-gerrard-theres-a-pathway-for-youth-players-at-villa

ee as in tree, rhoo as in Kanga, byoo as in blue without the "l" and num as in the popular linkin park song. The "G" is silent. 

It's stupid of me not to realise that the trap-bath split doesn't apply to many Villa supporters' accents. Sorry! 

a336c3w640671.jpg

Edited by Marka Ragnos

15 hours ago, skarroki said:

The interviewer got it right Gerrard butchered it 😂 U in most African languages is pronounced as a W as in OO. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â