Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

13 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The problem is, he rarely puts those performances in when he starts. He’s always great off the bench but often invisible when he gets the chance to start. Having said that, he has to start our next match. Diaby and Zaniolo are miles off it at the moment.

Did December not happen? Worldie at Bournemouth, brilliant v Man. City, assist v Arsenal, scored v Burnley and robbed of goal that would've probably taken us top of the league v Sheffield.

I'd say that's a pretty consistent spell of form when starting games in recent times.

He's hit and miss away from home but if you look at his goals and assists he's been very good in home games pretty much since Emery came in.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Did December not happen? Worldie at Bournemouth, brilliant v Man. City, assist v Arsenal, scored v Burnley and robbed of goal that would've probably taken us top of the league v Sheffield.

I'd say that's a pretty consistent spell of form when starting games in recent times.

He's hit and miss away from home but if you look at his goals and assists he's been very good in home games pretty much since Emery came in.

He does have the odd good game when he starts. He was unbelievable against City. Truly amazing but he’s too inconsistent in my mind. I really like him as an impact player. He is much more consistent when he doesn’t start. 

Just now, M_Afro said:

He does have the odd good game when he starts. He was unbelievable against City. Truly amazing but he’s too inconsistent in my mind. I really like him as an impact player. He is much more consistent when he doesn’t start. 

I think that was probably applicable last season (and even then Emery kept faith and started him in pretty much every important home game we had in the run in). Very harsh on what he's produced this season especially in the last two months.

• Like 1

Brilliant today for thirty minutes - the problem with him is that he's often brilliant for thirty minutes. I think he needs to start games and come off at half time - tell him to run his legs off and give everything for a half.

At the moment he's the only player that offers us that x-factor - a little bit of something that can change things and make things happen - we really, really need him.

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair play, I suspected he wasn't 100 percent.

However what confused me was how ridiculously sharp he looked when he came on!

I think he was 100%

Emery said he wasn't against Chelsea and then for some reason decided to stick with the same team. 

• Like 1

Awesome performance and a great season to date. We all knew he had talent hence the excitement when we signed him. Unai persevered with him last season despite the complaints from our “faithful” let’s remember this in the Diaby thread.

9 hours ago, allani said:

I was chatting with @TRO recently about how Gordon and Almiron have an annoying habit of making things happen and trying to impose themselves on matches even when the match is going badly or they are not playing very well.  Diaby just seems hyper passive - he's always waiting for things to happen and then doesn't currently have the confidence to take advantage.  There were a couple of early chances today when Ollie would have hit a shot and seen what happened - Diaby didn't look like he wanted to shoot and instead tried to thread a pass through three players. 

Bailey came on and immediately wanted to make things happen.  It gave everyone a boost - it gave Ollie a bit of a kick up the arse too.  Diaby needs to watch what Bailey did today and take that energy into his own game.  Bailey (admittedly knowing he only had 30 minutes or so) was constantly trying to make space and make the defenders worry about what space he was going to attack and where he was going to run.  This immediately gave our midfielders a potential target and an option to look for.  Ollie suddenly sensed there was more space for him to exploit to and started making better runs too.

It's not always about the supply not being good - it's sometimes about being more assertive, active and determined to try and make a chance for yourself rather than waiting for a great ball or even sometimes just annoy the hell out of the opposition defenders.  Hopefully, someone shows our other forward players how Bailey's attitude created chances that he (and they) could then exploit.  If you're struggling with supply then you can't just sit back and be passive about waiting for it to eventually come.  Sometimes you need to do more to try and create the supply.

since the Man City, Arsenal week....mentally, the deck chairs have come out.....This is not a one off, its been coming.....meeting an aggressive team has just exposed it more. I am stumped as to why Bailey, was left out for Diaby, who is clearly suffering a confidence crisis.

Bailey was scintillating when he came on. Apart from a poor corner he was excellent.

Has to start on Saturday. So long as he is fit enough. I believe he only played 30 minutes to ensure he would be okay for Saturday.

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

since the Man City, Arsenal week....mentally, the deck chairs have come out.....This is not a one off, its been coming.....meeting an aggressive team has just exposed it more. I am stumped as to why Bailey, was left out for Diaby, who is clearly suffering a confidence crisis.

I don't entirely agree with the view that the first bit.  I do agree that maybe some of the players - like many fans - got a bit ahead of themselves and saw a potential fight for the title.  Whereas anything above 7th should still be seen as progress for a team / squad that is still a work in progress.

I do think that we are really missing Pau and Digne who were both excellent during our long spell of terrific form.  We're just not getting the same quality of passes out of our back line and it's hampered our ability to make things happen.  It's also meant that Luiz hasn't quite had as much time and space because our opponents don't need to be as worried about Lenglet pinging a defence splitting ball past them.  Nothing has changed in that if we want to compete at the top then we need all our key players fit and on form.  Ramsey is also a loss in terms of adding that more dynamic thrust from midfield.

We did some good stuff yesterday (maybe not as much as we could / should) and had a couple of decent opportunities to take the lead.  They had a couple of big slices of good fortune at key moments (which you could easily argue they earned by being a bit more assertive around the box).  Not that long ago we probably benefitted from a those kind of breaks ourselves.  

I'm confident that as long as we don't panic and continue doing what we are good at then we'll hit our groove again.  I've always been looking more at the gap to 6th than the gap to 1st and we're still in an excellent position at this stage of the season.  It's been a long time since I've been as excited by the football we are playing as I have throughout 2023 - even yesterday it felt like we knew what we were trying to do but it just wasn't quite happening.  For several years I've felt like we didn't really have a plan that everyone was behind.  We need to not panic, continue to trust in the system / in Emery and not get on everyone's backs about losing our first league match at home in a year.

Â