Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I have watched it back, and I am pretty sure that if he would have looked up, the ball would have gone behind for a goal kick. Sometimes you just have to put it in the right area at that speed.

Besides, I seem to recall him setting up a couple of similar goals towards the tail end of last season in the same manner. I remember Dougie and JJ scoring side foot finishes from Bailey pull backs in the run in on our charge for European qualification. I think it was the Bournemouth and Spurs matches from memory.

We had other similar goals from others players assisting as well, it must be Unai driven tactic. They are so hard to defend or save if the forward gets a clean connection.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I have watched it back, and I am pretty sure that if he would have looked up, the ball would have gone behind for a goal kick. Sometimes you just have to put it in the right area at that speed.

Besides, I seem to recall him setting up a couple of similar goals towards the tail end of last season in the same manner. I remember Dougie and JJ scoring side foot finishes from Bailey pull backs in the run in on our charge for European qualification. I think it was the Bournemouth and Spurs matches from memory.

We had other similar goals from others players assisting as well, it must be Unai driven tactic. They are so hard to defend or save if the forward gets a clean connection.

It is, Moreno set up loads of chances the same way, diaby has already laid up Watkins for about 5 chances this way including pre season but he's just spannered all of them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think it's his body language and perceived mental weakness that affects his opinion in the fans eyes. He seems sullen maybe and he seemingly gave up and come off with injuries quite early in his time here.

Maybe he's still fighting that perception with the fans. That's hard to get over and will take time and consistency from Bailey to happen.

Same as Digne. None of us know what he earns but because its on the Internet that her earns loads per week it creates a reputation of him in the fans eyes, perhaps unfairly maybe.

It's mainly that once you've become the scapegoat it's almost impossible to shake it off. People have nailed their colours to the mast and won't be for turning. So every goal is lucky, every good play is nothing special, every good performance is a one off etc. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

It could well have been a routine they worked on, a good cut back into a dangerous area nevertheless, blindly or not. Regardless of one perhaps not valid example, I’m not sure Bailey suits our possession based style.

I think Bailey is too much of a wild card who is not a good enough passer. But perhaps Emery wants that kind of player up to the right?

Of our previous wingers I think Adama Traore and Grealish are examples of two extremes, Traore the wild card who was a bad passer and no good for keeping possession, but could make things happen by chance. Grealish on the other hand the exquisite passer who could keep the ball.

For me Bailey leans more towards the wild card, he quite often overhits passes or tries something and looses the ball. The slight improvement I’ve seen under Emery is that he keeps it a bit more simple and makes some safe back passes.

As it is now I think we should upgrade on him to be able to compete with the top teams and to play with possession. He can be an impact sub, a wild card to throw on.

Now if he delivers like the last game and improves his general play then that’s fantastic and he will save us a lot of money!

Of course they worked on it in training. My son at U14 goes through cut back/crossing drills for 30 minutes every day. People who make statements like, "he didn't look before the cut back" really are just telling on themselves. 

5 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Of course they worked on it in training. My son at U14 goes through cut back/crossing drills for 30 minutes every day. People who make statements like, "he didn't look before the cut back" really are just telling on themselves. 

Or have not played the game themselves. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Just came to post this,  it's such a lovely video.

Reignites my desire for him to come good. He's got it in him...somewhere.

Moussa’s here to help…

Hope all our players come good… but we have to be realistic and take different factors into account. Don’t expect much from Phil, for example…

The fact that Unai keeps picking Leon is, in itself, a considerable endorsement and show of faith… unlock that talent!

He's fairly effective and puts up some ok numbers in goals and assists, also looking at our goals last season I noticed he was heavily involved in the assist before the assist.

Hopefully he can push on, there's a player there, just very frustrating at times.

Big season for him.

1 minute ago, VillaJay said:

He's fairly effective and puts up some ok numbers in goals and assists, also looking at our goals last season I noticed he was heavily involved in the assist before the assist.

Hopefully he can push on, there's a player there, just very frustrating at times.

Big season for him.

He's got very good vision for through balls.

Â