Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Upgrading where though?

We will be fighting on 4 fronts next year, we need at least 2 players at every position who can step in and start to do that. We currently have the grand total of 2 wingers right now.

He'll be an important squad member next year and rightly so.

• Like 4

Bailey had a good game yesterday, his defending was much improved, and he was productive going forward.  60 minutes he does tire, part of which is down to still not being fully match fit. 

Will be a good squad player next season, as I'm sure we'll bring.in a top talent in his position.  However there are no guarantees, so better to keep him until whoever we bring in proves they're better than him.  Plus we need to expand the squad. We need to bring in a player for each of those 3 positions behind the striker. And Archer needs to come back.

• Like 3

Now that we're hopefully on a proper European campaign it probably makes sense now and gives leeway to players like Leon to stick around and fight for their place.

I don't see him starting much next season but he'll certainly be needed should he stay. I think he's probably at the max of his output sadly. Seems a good guy, just quite limited as a player.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

maybe Bailey is better than many of us (inc. myself), think..........   🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't put much faith in someone who still thinks that Adama Traore has value in him 😅

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

A case of selective stats, really. Are the likes of Saint Maximam, Adama, Bailey, and Murphy really in the best 5 wingers in the league? The chart effectively is showing directness rather than anything to do with quality, as per in Bailey’s case he statistically has poor pass completion and poor dribble completion percentage / times dispossessed per game  stats but this chart makes him look good because he also averages a very low number of touches per game 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

The issue is when you look at the pass completion success to show how they can play in patient build up you'll see the issues. Jack will show up well in that stat Bailey won't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, david-avfc said:

The chart effectively is showing directness rather than anything to do with quality, as per in Bailey’s case he statistically has poor pass completion and poor dribble completion percentage / times dispossessed per game  stats but this chart makes him look good because he also averages a very low number of touches per game 

Exactly. The chart shows expected assists. He doesn't complete the last pass. And it shows progressive carries...yes, he carries the ball, but then loses it when he goes for one touch too many.

He has talent. I haven't given up on him yet. He's a player that Unai should be able to sort out.

3 hours ago, TomC said:

Exactly. The chart shows expected assists. He doesn't complete the last pass. And it shows progressive carries...yes, he carries the ball, but then loses it when he goes for one touch too many.

He has talent. I haven't given up on him yet. He's a player that Unai should be able to sort out.

That's not what expected assists are. 

Expected assists are how many goals you'd expect to come from the shots taken from the passes made. For instance if you passed the ball to someone with an open goal you'd expect them to score 90% of the time in that situation which results in xA of 0.9. Bailey produces a lot of goal scoring opportunities for the amount of touches he has because his final ball is good. He's very wasteful overall but that's because he's attempting difficult things. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david-avfc said:

A case of selective stats, really. Are the likes of Saint Maximam, Adama, Bailey, and Murphy really in the best 5 wingers in the league? The chart effectively is showing directness rather than anything to do with quality, as per in Bailey’s case he statistically has poor pass completion and poor dribble completion percentage / times dispossessed per game  stats but this chart makes him look good because he also averages a very low number of touches per game 

ASM barely started for Newcastle after January, they've moved on now from him being their sole attacking option in final third.

Bailey did have some good games here and there, Man. United, Brentford and Leeds at home probably his best three last season and he was o.k in a few other sub cameos but we need a wide attacker who can get to 10 league goals and he didn't get close despite featuring in pretty much all our games.

That said I fancy him to be key player in europe so worth keeping him around and he seemed happy enough at the final whistle v Brighton so can't see him seeking to leave.

I think we'd see him at his best if he was playing from LM with a Moreno type player at RB in our system. But for sure he has played his best for Villa under Emery from RM and not up front with Watkins. If he's allowed to play that role with a quality RCB playing in RB he'll have a better season and more consistent one. 

We do need that right footed winger to complement having a left footed one in Bailey. I think the raw talent is there though for Bailey and if he can just play his best position more regularly this season he'll show it

Edited by CVByrne

i think it shows you what you get in the prem for 30m now. Bailey is ok, 10 goal/assists per year. 

Similar output to a lot of those mentioned on the image above. Compare him to Benrahma, Murphy, Traore, hes probably fine.

If you want a lot more then you will spend a lot more and its still not guaranteed. For every Grealish you also have a Pepe.

Only player I can't get behind.  Headless chicken, always takes one touch too many and very litte in the way of a final ball.

Also thinks he is a million times better than he is.  Would love it if we sold him this summer.

There is a player in there somewhere, but we don't see him often enough. He appears to lack the motivation to perform as regularly as we need him to, we need to upgrade here and it's where a lot of money will need to be spent to make a big difference. Perhaps competition for his starting place will help, but I can't see us getting a decent offer for him, so I suspect that this season, he will mostly be warming our bench and I suspect his agent will be more upset about that than Leon will be.  

41 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

Only player I can't get behind.  Headless chicken, always takes one touch too many and very litte in the way of a final ball.

Also thinks he is a million times better than he is.  Would love it if we sold him this summer.

Weird comment - he's not an arrogant guy at all. 

• Like 2

Â