Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

15 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Careful throwing criticism at Purslow on here...

To be fair though there's no way we will ever know how this transfer came about and even if it was a purslow name you would have to assume that we still scout him and use the analytics team to check him out, there's literally nothing to suggest purslow rocked up to bmh one day and gifted us Leon Bailey without anyone else knowing

And he was considered a big signing at the time, he'd done well at leverkusen, been linked to utd for more than we paid for him (who went on to spend £180m on sancho and Anthony so that should be a warning...)there was definitely a buzz around him he's just fallen unbelievably short, which is probably why he's being talked about as one of our worst players ever, he's not but he is one of the most disappointing

And Zatman in another thread just reminded me of a genuine contender for worst player ever... Rudy Gestede, **** me he was a donkey, worse than heskey, absolutely no redeeming feature to him, replacing grealish with Bailey has nothing on replacing Benteke with gestede

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he was considered a big signing at the time, he'd done well at leverkusen, been linked to utd for more than we paid for him (who went on to spend £180m on sancho and Anthony so that should be a warning...)there was definitely a buzz around him he's just fallen unbelievably short, which is probably why he's being talked about as one of our worst players ever, he's not but he is one of the most disappointing

I agree, he isn't one of the worse signings we have made, absolutely not

I think the frustration comes that he was a promising signing when he arrived and he has shown moments of magic if you will, but it's not happening as often as many would have hoped.

He has also been unlucky with injuries too which hasn't been ignored.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

If the general consensus is that Leon wasn’t a very good signing, who are we going to blame? Deano, Lange or the Man from Delmonti?

Purslow. I would have thought that obvious. 

If he was absolutely brilliant it would have been down to Emery despite not been at the club at the time 😁

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, maqroll said:

The way Purslow rushed in front of the cameras to announce the deal makes me think he was the one who pushed for it to happen. 

And there we have it. Sure as eggs is eggs. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Purslow. I woun have thought that obvious. 

If he was absolutely brilliant it would have been down to Emery despite not been at the club at the time 😁

Truer words have never been spoken.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Purslow. I would have thought that obvious. 

He’s not absolutely brilliant and Unai wasn’t at the club. If he had been then perhaps whoever we’d signed instead might be brilliant. 

Purslow getting the blame for things might be because he is in fact responsible for those particular mistakes  

He’s good at somethings, recruitment isn’t one of them. With the imminent arrival of Alemany, I’d imagine he’ll have more time to get on with the things he’s good at. 

• Like 1

I think he’s definitely one of the worst signings we have ever made. Possibly the single worst considering his fee and value for money. He’s abysmal. When is the last time anyone can genuinely say he played well for 90 minutes? Scoring a goal every 10 games or so doesn’t make up for that. He should be one of our best players. He’s no better than Trezeguet or El Ghazi. Possibly worse. It’s like playing with 10 men at times when he’s on the pitch. I was really excited about this signing but he’s been a disaster. I don’t see how we can dress it up as anything else. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Purslow getting the blame for things might be because he is in fact responsible for those particular mistakes  

Yes, there is clear evidence that Purslow is responsible for the signing of Bailey 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

14 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I think he’s definitely one of the worst signings we have ever made. Possibly the single worst considering his fee and value for money. He’s abysmal. When is the last time anyone can genuinely say he played well for 90 minutes? Scoring a goal every 10 games or so doesn’t make up for that. He should be one of our best players. He’s no better than Trezeguet or El Ghazi. Possibly worse. It’s like playing with 10 men at times when he’s on the pitch. I was really excited about this signing but he’s been a disaster. I don’t see how we can dress it up as anything else. 

He’s a better signing than McCormack. Even taking the price into account.

Not even close.

Definitely one of the more frustrating signings given the hype and prior talent & ability he showcased at Leverkusen. He's been disappointing under 3 managers now: I know there hasn't been stability while he's at the club & and he's been on and off with injuries, but there's nothing else to his game other than just running forward, getting dispossessed by the last defender and repeating that 15 times a game.

Saying that, a certain Mr Craig Butler has been awfully quiet of late: mysteriously since Villa started getting good while Leon has faded away... If Villa are a stepping stone like he thinks, they're about to fall into the lake.

• Like 1

I do still think there’s more to come from Bailey, but he’s really not shown enough since for us yet. I’d keep him as a squad player but it’s vital we upgrade that wide right forward position this summer. Bailey could still be a useful option off the bench or in the ECL games that we WILL be playing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Have you just started supporting the club? How is baikey one of teh worst ever signings?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have you just started supporting the club? How is baikey one of teh worst ever signings?

We paid something like 30 million for him. If you look around the league, you’ll see what could have been done with that sort of money. Six goals in two years and an endless supply of rubbish performances. We’ve made some terrible signings but few have been as costly as this one. 

7 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

We paid something like 30 million for him. If you look around the league, you’ll see what could have been done with that sort of money. Six goals in two years and an endless supply of rubbish performances. We’ve made some terrible signings but few have been as costly as this one. 

Sure is a lot of money for the return of six goals over two seasons. Leverkusen must be laughing.

Yes he's had injuries and I sympathise yet still people were unsure before. Bailey just seems without confidence, lightweight, can't beat a player, not so pacy and his shooting is non-existent.

Needs replaced in the first-team, one of the positions we are looking to actively improve upon with the talk of wingers such as Nico Williams, Ferran Torres, Lee Kang-In having been linked.

16 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

30 million is the going rate these days for players unfortunately  but id argue players like n zogbia, mccormack just two on top my head much worse

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree, he isn't one of the worse signings we have made, absolutely not

I think the frustration comes that he was a promising signing when he arrived and he has shown moments of magic if you will, but it's not happening as often as many would have hoped.

He has also been unlucky with injuries too which hasn't been ignored.

I thought he was a great profile for us. Mid 20s, had 2-3 good seasons in Bundesliga and europa league so exactly the sort of signing we should've been making post Grealish. In last few months of 20/21 you had threads on here demanding we drop 30m on Dwight McNeill for instance.

It hasn't worked out. Who knows how he'd done if his hamstring hadn't gone after scoring v Everton as that was amazing cameo but that's pretty much as good as it got bar a few good games this season.

He fits Ajax model so hopefully they're still interested 12 months on. They signed Haller when he flopped at West Ham and made a tidy profit selling him to Dortmund a few years later so similar method here as Bailey should be getting double figures in goals and assists in Dutch league.

• Like 1

It’s must have been noted already but anyway, it’s kinda weird that his best moments that spring to my mind - Everton debut, Brentford 4-0, his early goal against Man Utd…they’re his first game under a new manager.

He’s seemingly quite good at introductions.

i feel for him. he's a nice guy but his confidence is in the toilet right now. with players coming back from injury now i doubt we'll see much more of him this season

he was at least better than traore yesterday

• Like 1

Â