Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He could be, but I think he sees himself as more than that and his dad definitely does. 
Will be interesting to see how Bailey gets on towards the back end of the season. The Everton cameo and a few glimpses at Palace aside, he has been very underwhelming. I think he's got 'it' though, so hopefully he improves and pushes for a starting place.

There's definitely some magic there,.really hope he gets fit and hits the levels we all hope he can.

When fully fit a front 3 of Bailey Coutihno Buedia could be devastating if Ollie or Ings do not start bagging more regularly.

• Like 1

I agree fully. He clearly thought he was Jack’s replacement and he’s now on the bench for a manager that didn’t even sign him.

FWIW I personally think him and Ings will be moved on quite quickly - despite being very good players - as they are obviously squaddie square pegs in round holes under Gerrard. 

Pray to God he can turn it around here.

Of course he has been injured most of his time here so can't be too hard on him but his time here so far has been disastrous.

Where I will defend him is, the games he played under Gerrard, the team in a whole were getting to grips with the narrow system Gerrard likes to play.

Needs to put his head down now and force his opportunity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I don't really see how he fits in our system at all unless he either gets converted to a full back (which would be a disaster) or a striker. 

He will play in one of the roles either side of the lone striker. Gary McAllister has said he fits Gerrard's preferred system. He won't be playing full-back (?).

Some of the reactions in this thread are quite bizarre. 

He's returned one goal and two assists in 9 appearances. Grealish has two + two in 15 games. Sancho has 1 + 0 in 17 games.

It's a tough transition from the Bundesliga (Havertz, Werner, Sancho, Konate, etc.) - but he's passed the eye test every time I've seen him play. He's only 24. People on this forum seem scared of having a squad of players that actually challenge each other. Traore, Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey are great options for two positions. As are Ings and Watkins, Digne and Targett, etc.  

Per:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leon-bailey-injury-aston-villa-22818422

Offering an update on Bailey's fitness on December 26, Villa assistant head coach Gary McAllister said: "(Leon's) not on the grass. He's not that close. We're (at least) three weeks away with Leon but Berti (Traore) and him, those are two players who play in an area of the pitch where we really want them back in.

"Their style would suit the style of the manager. They will go hand in hand so we want them back on the pitch as soon as possible."

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Pray to God he can turn it around here.

Of course he has been injured most of his time here so can't be too hard on him but his time here so far has been disastrous.

Where I will defend him is, the games he played under Gerrard, the team in a whole were getting to grips with the narrow system Gerrard likes to play.

Needs to put his head down now and force his opportunity

I don't understand this. He's hardly played due to injury so there's nothing to turn around. He's barely even started.

Just now, Mazrim said:

I don't understand this. He's hardly played due to injury so there's nothing to turn around. He's barely even started.

I said exactly that in my post, 

Turn it around:.

1: get himself fit

2: develop some bit of form

3: become a regular starter

I haven't slated, I've only said his time here hasn't been good so far, I'm sure if you asked Leon himself he would agree, I haven't gone in on him at all, so I would say I don't understand your issue with my post.

14 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I said exactly that in my post, 

Turn it around:.

1: get himself fit

2: develop some bit of form

3: become a regular starter

I haven't slated, I've only said his time here hasn't been good so far, I'm sure if you asked Leon himself he would agree, I haven't gone in on him at all, so I would say I don't understand your issue with my post.

I'm not having a go and I know you're not slating him. It's probably just the terminology I guess. For instance,  he's not unfit, he was injured. Turning it around suggests he's gone wrong, whereas he's just had terrible luck and no chance to really play yet, never mind find form.

Anyway, no dramas.

Edited by Mazrim

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Has writing off Buendia as absolute tripe and a waste of money not given some people a bit of patience and nuance?

Leon who? is he still here. Been anonymous last few games, Get rid

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Oh well, we've recently announced our Jamaican Bobsled Team is back!

So he's got a future no matter what!

I saw that being reported. Fantastic news.

John Candy always had an eye for talent. 

• Haha 1

we had a long wait for him to be available, then when he was he started like a rocket, then got injured and I think was brought back too quickly because Dean was desperate to turn around poor form and results and looked a shadow of what he was.

Once he gets fit I back Gerrard to find the right role and get the best of him even if it is slow reintegration in order to stop him getting injured again.

Â