Euro 2020 : Quarter finals

BOF

11 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Just looked at twitter and seeing loads of people saying Traore should've been brought on, why is it that when Spain play a team that just sits deep and gives no space in behind, loads of people go on about Traore being able to make the difference, what's he gonna do other than spaff crosses behind the goal?

Guarantee they've never heard of Oyarzabal, even scored the winning penalty

Not a clue why they took traore, doesn't fit this team at all and has been poor all year

• Like 1

Worst penalty shoot out ever? 

I'll never ever understand this slow stroll up to the ball and trying to slot it in when the keeper moves. 

You just run out of space and end up with a panicked poor shot.   I reckon the goalies chance is increased 50% by this. 

Pick your side early and don't ever change your mind.  Hit it reasonably high, reasonably hard and reasonably wide.  Even if the keeper goes the right way he probably won't save it. 

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, MachoFantastico said:

Those were some awful penalties. Still, Swiss have done a great job and were unlucky today.

You clearly didn’t listen to the pundits. Spain deserved to win because they dominated extra time, the most recent part of the match and the only part they can still remember, when they had an extra man because English refereeing standards are abysmal:

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'll never ever understand this slow stroll up to the ball and trying to slot it in when the keeper moves. 

You just run out of space and end up with a panic poor shot.   I reckon the goalies chance is increased 50% by this. 

Pick your side early and don't ever change your mind.  Hit it reasonably high, reasonably hard and reasonably wide.  Even if the keeper goes the right way he probably won't save it. 

That's why I love penalties! 

Olmo and Gérard hit an unsavable penalty, most of them should be able to do the same but instead they try and do the clever run up, or nerves get to them and the technique abandons them

Its a better test than extra time, it's skill technique plus nerves, extra time is fitness and use of the squad not football 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

That's why I love penalties! 

Olmo and Gérard hit an unsavable penalty, most of them should be able to do the same but instead they try and do the clever run up, or nerves get to them and the technique abandons them

Its a better test than extra time, it's skill technique plus nerves, extra time is fitness and use of the squad not football 

I always come back to Shearer and Barry. Always hit penalties hard high and wide. Totally unsavable. 

OK you risk missing (Pro footballers really shouldn’t, but they do) if you over cook it. 

Tammy always worried me.  I think his record was actually really good (perfect even?) for us, but they were often saveable. Only needed the keeper to go the right way.  I prefer a player to just put it out of the keepers reach altogether. 

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

Moreno has got him sent off with that ridiculous overreaction but it doesn’t surprise me that it’s the premier league referee who’s bought it.

Shocking decision. In a tournament where refereeing has generally been at a high level you can always rely on Michael Oliver to showcase what the premier league does best. 

Yep the PL refs stick out a mile. And not in a good way.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I always come back to Shearer and Barry. Always hit penalties hard high and wide. Totally unsavable. 

OK you risk missing (Pro footballers really shouldn’t, but they do) if you over cook it. 

Tammy always worried me.  I think his record was actually really good (perfect even?) for us, but they were often saveable. Only needed the keeper to go the right way.  I prefer a player to just put it out of the keepers reach altogether. 

Not sure who England's would be, kanes alright I think, rashford I've seen take some good ones but after that not a clue 

Kane would do well to be on the pitch for 120 mins 

Would be a lot of expectation and pressure on Jack to take one 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You just run out of space and end up with a panicked poor shot.   I reckon the goalies chance is increased 50% by this. 

If your technique is good it's not an issue.

The theory is that you stutter and watch the keeper as they pick a side, and hit it low and hard the other way. If it works its flawless (Lewandowski)

If it fails you look shit

Â