Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

All this over a couple of lines speculation in the Mirror. The logic still says he signs his Arsenal contract having negotiated a much bigger pay increase. We then sign Dwight McNeil for the same price we’ve offered for ESR as Burnley will know exactly how much we’re willing to spend. 

Arsenal probably just waiting for him to land back at training to do some fancy social media announcement. 

I think it’s that fake ITK on Twitter saying us signing him is a done deal to be announced on Wed that has convinced me it’s definitely not happening!

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

All this over a couple of lines speculation in the Mirror. The logic still says he signs his Arsenal contract having negotiated a much bigger pay increase. We then sign Dwight McNeil

Nice, I like this outcome as well. 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

All this over a couple of lines speculation in the Mirror. The logic still says he signs his Arsenal contract having negotiated a much bigger pay increase. We then sign Dwight McNeil for the same price we’ve offered for ESR as Burnley will know exactly how much we’re willing to spend. 

Arsenal probably just waiting for him to land back at training to do some fancy social media announcement. 

I think it’s that fake ITK on Twitter saying us signing him is a done deal to be announced on Wed that has convinced me it’s definitely not happening!

The bids have been reported by BBC as well. FYI.

Other reputable journalists have also confirmed our interest.

EDIT: Didn't realise some Twitter account had said he's signed, was only referring to the opening lines of post.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Clearly there are ongoing negotiations between both clubs and his agent. 

This has legs because a second bid has been confirmed and a third bid is likely. 

If ESR is being signed to play with Jack, then good signing. If he's being signed as a replacement as a lot of the rumours are going round, I'd be massively underwhelmed.

If Jack goes replacing him will be ridiculously difficult (which is why we shouldn't and wouldn't do it unless we were forced to - e.g. via a clause which we can't get out of) but if that very bad day does occur then I'd want 2 proven, top quality replacements. I don't put ESR in that category, though he is clearly a very bright prospect. 

So it really depends on the situation. Even if he was being brought in to play with Jack, I don't think we should be overspending. Anything more than £35m and I think there's better value overseas.

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If ESR is being signed to play with Jack, then good signing. If he's being signed as a replacement as a lot of the rumours are going round, I'd be massively underwhelmed.

If Jack goes replacing him will be ridiculously difficult (which is why we shouldn't and wouldn't do it unless we were forced to - e.g. via a clause which we can't get out of) but if that very bad day does occur then I'd want 2 proven, top quality replacements. I don't put ESR in that category, though he is clearly a very bright prospect. 

So it really depends on the situation. Even if he was being brought in to play with Jack, I don't think we should be overspending. Anything more than £35m and I think there's better value overseas.

I ask this in a genuine manner--who, what and where are such rumours? Seems like people assuming and no more than that.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Jack is not for sale. Have a great day! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

So it’s all fake made up rubbish but at the same time is an indication of how much we’re willing to spend. I’m not sure of the logic here. 

37 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

That's the predicament of Jack. There is no replacing him.

Anyone near his ability would have no interest in joining us and would probably cost £100m+.

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Does he mean gave Arsenal a verbal agreement re a new contract? If so, that might make things a little less likely as it shows he’d prefer to stay.

That was most likely prior to Villa's interest though. Things may well have changed in his mind.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I ask this in a genuine manner--who, what and where are such rumours? Seems like people assuming and no more than that.

Nothing concrete has come out yet, but then the BBC is now reporting on this done deal speculation: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57680702 ("Aston Villa are talking up their chances of keeping midfielder Grealish, 25, but few expect them to succeed. It has been denied by all parties but speculation will not go away that a deal to take Grealish to City is already agreed."). Even if the rumours are a load of rubbish which of course they could be, the media are once again trying to sell him despite us insisting he's not for sale.

My worries probably stem from us selling key players before. I also would have thought we'd be targeting a pacey attacking player (e.g. Doku) if Jack is staying over a more creative one like ESR as none of our forward players (other than Ollie) are particularly rapid and it feels a bit samey. Also don't seem to be being linked with players in any other positions.

Could be completely wrong though and I obviously hope I am, but even if nothing is agreed this will be going on all summer once the Euros are over until he signs a new deal. Seems to be the same every summer and it's tiresome.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Does he mean gave Arsenal a verbal agreement re a new contract? If so, that might make things a little less likely as it shows he’d prefer to stay.

Could be that he agreed to not make a decision until they present him with their latest contact proposals after his holiday. 

Hopefully he had a nice holiday on Nas’s yacht. 

• Haha 4

Arsenal have offered a deal with low wages , his agent has phoned around to see who would offer more and we have offered more, it's now upto Arsenal to get closer to the wage we will pay. If they dont then he leaves on a free next year.

Arsenal cannot win from this situation,  they either pay him a bigger wage or let him go.(his agent is using our interest as leverage) . The fact the Arsenal fans are holding onto this as a show of their loss of power makes it very difficult for Arsenal to stand strong and let him go. £35m is a big fee for a young player.....especially one with an agent who's  a bit of a  player as well. If he does sign for us then it would have to be on a 5 year deal. 

• Like 2

We know Arsenal have quite a bit of debt and their finances need a bit of cleaning up. This is our encouragement id imagine. The club clearly haven’t said “NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE” as we wouldnt keep testing their resolve. I think Smith Rowe ideally wants to stay at his boyhood club but on the money he feels he deserves. Villa have probably offered more than Arsenal have which is what his agent will be in his ear about. Its a very good alternative if he doesnt get the contract offer he wants. He’s a priority for us, our owners are pretty aggressive and normally get what they want which is the interesting thing in play here. We just have to hope Arsenal continue to be as negligent as they normally are and we can add another excellent young English talent to our ranks.