Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

• VT Supporter
1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Ashley Old more like . This is the biggest case of false advertising since The Never Ending Story which has a run time of 1h 47m .

Totally on board for the upgraded set pieces mind you . 

Yeah, but to take those set pieces he has to be on the pitch. Who would you drop for him, unless they were injured or suspended? 

8 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

This is a great move by the club. Young was brilliant for us when first here. Yes, he won't be the same player but what he will have lost in pace he will have made up for in nous, adaptability and, winning mentality. 

What a greatly experienced player to have on the books for the next season. 

Look at how Miner is at Pool though he plays his heart out when he's in the field and at times can pull some excellent performances where he can't be beat, May get that from Young.

31 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Thought exercise for the jilted lovers people airing their legitimate gripes;

• Your team currently has only 2 senior full-backs, having released 2 of the squad's "older heads" in said position (the left-sided of which was - regardless of age - arguably not good enough for the club's current level).
  • Your squad is the youngest on average in the league.
  • One of your left-sided senior wingers is currently injured for an undetermined (but estimated to be lengthy) spell which required surgery.
  • You have the opportunity to sign a player whom;
    • knows the club, having enjoyed a highly successful previous stint.
    • has a wealth of experience competing at the highest levels of club competition, having won (amongst others); the domestic league, both domestic trophies and a European trophy.
    • provides cover down the entirety of the left-flank.
    • represents a threat from dead-ball scenarios not currently present in the squad (save for one player who is less likely to make the starting line-up and may ultimately be sold).
    • demonstrably still has something to offer, having just won Serie A.
    • is available on a free transfer.

Ask yourself; would this be a good signing?  If it's not Ashley Young, if that dive wasn't part of this equation at all, would this be a good signing?

Squad had 3 senior fullbacks but I agree with your general points. 

For me if we need defence we can out on guilbert if we need attack, Young. Although young is typically a LB and guilbert a rb. They have both played a fair number of games on the other side

Of the pitch to the point it isn't outrageous. For us to play one for each circumstance. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but to take those set pieces he has to be on the pitch. Who would you drop for him, unless they were injured or suspended? 

No idea but it's going to be a long season especially reaching 2 cup finals. It's pretty rare for a team to go unchanged for a long period these days.

Free transfer is it?

Can't complain can we, it's no different than how we went and signed Heaton, sometimes the old timers have a thing to prove before they end there career.

I'm fairly happy about this move, I just hope he goes out and kicks ass as he seems to keep himself in pristine condition.

I'm a bit slow to the ball here and haven't read all pages in this thread. This happened quite quickly, didn't even have time to reflect on what I thought of it before it was done. A bit of a surprise at first, but when I think of it it makes a lot of sense. We want Cash and Targett to be our first choice full backs, we want our young promising players like Kessler to get a chance sooner rather than later and we need quality back up to our full backs now when Elmo and Taylor has left. Young can for one season be a quality back up to both Targett and Cash and he wont hinder the development of our younger playes. Had we splashed money one someone else then we would have restricted the possibilities for the younger players for years to come, had it been someone as good as Targett and Cash then we could have caused a bit of a disruption as to who would be first choice. Now they are undisputed first choice, we have a quality back up, and we are not hindering our academy players. On top of that we get some more experience in the team.

So all in all, seems to be a shrewd move that I am very happy with! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We need to rotate every now and then, I'd definitely give a try for him as a LW, while Jack as number 10. I think he's better than El Ghazi at the moment. He can be a cover for full backs. I think this signing is very brilliant. If we win something this season, then he'll be up there in the club history. If he does well, he'll erase a lot of those memories that people are thinking. I think it's a win-win situation for all parties.

We don't have to play the same nor the same players against City, or Watford for example. Every game should have it's own plan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Stunned. Absolutely stunned by some of the ridiculous comments in here. 

Brave new world isn't it? Then again we've got diehard Leeds fans on here posting a couple hundred posts per day too, so can't say I'm all that surprised anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Does that not depend on how he performs vs his team mates? If he earns the shirt, he’s probably doing something right. 

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â