England v Austria/England v Romania

andykeenan

Reading through the various player ratings in the rags

I thought despite liking him a lot and him scoring saka looked raw and out of his depth a foar bit of the time, he has energy and enthusiasm that covers up for it but beyond thr group I'm not sure he's ready 

Mings rating seems to depend on who saw the smash in the penalty area, which isn't all of them

The majority of the jack comments allude to him being kicked around the pitch 

33 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

To play devil's advocate, he's just had one of the most productive seasons of his career dropping deeper. If that's what his game now is, you can't tell him to scrap all that and just hang around the penalty spot and wait.

There's absolutely a team and a formation which works with him dropping off like he does for Spurs. Tonight wasn't it obviously, but if you want your striker to be the lump that you ping balls into, just play Calvert-Lewin instead. 

but England dont have Son making them runs from deep

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but England dont have Son making them runs from deep

I reckon things would click a lot better by asking Foden or Grealish to play like Son than asking Kane to pretend to be the new Darren Bent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

Southgate just said on talkshite Henderson said he wasn't right to play the game and was sent for a scan

England picking unfit injured player for a major tournament shocker

True but the squad size is 3 bigger than normal so it is probably worth gambling on a couple of key players who are not fully fit yet imo.

I can this being a permanent move which will benefit the bigger countries in the future. 

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

haha I thought Mings has been playing well, completely missed the challenge in that video tho. 

A good job the ref and his assistant missed it as well! Would have been a clear penalty. 

8 hours ago, ml1dch said:

To play devil's advocate, he's just had one of the most productive seasons of his career dropping deeper. If that's what his game now is, you can't tell him to scrap all that and just hang around the penalty spot and wait.

There's absolutely a team and a formation which works with him dropping off like he does for Spurs. Tonight wasn't it obviously, but if you want your striker to be the lump that you ping balls into, just play Calvert-Lewin instead. 

He said before it’s something he does for England specifically and he started doing it a couple of years ago.

Maybe he thinks the midfield need him to go back there, I dunno, but it frustrates the hell out of me.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

He said before it’s something he does for England specifically and he started doing it a couple of years ago.

Maybe he thinks the midfield need him to go back there, I dunno, but it frustrates the hell out of me.

Rooney used to do the same thing and was a lot less effective for England than United. Somebody needs to tell Kane that Jack, Foden, Mount etc are there to feed him not opposite way around 

• Like 1

I only watched the last half hour but **** me, Pickford looked shaky as hell. I can’t believe that we are seriously going to enter a tournament with him as number 1. That punched ‘clearance’ was shocking, but probably explains why he seemed reluctant to come of his line for earlier corners. He’s an accident waiting to happen. 

Surely Pope/Henderson/the fat pie eating none league keeper is a safer choice? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rooney used to do the same thing and was a lot less effective for England than United. Somebody needs to tell Kane that Jack, Foden, Mount etc are there to feed him not opposite way around 

With just 1 main striker he really needs to be available to finish things off, not sending 50 yard Hollywood passes across the pitch.

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Surely Pope/Henderson/the fat pie eating none league keeper is a safer choice? 

I think they are all variations on a theme to be honest. I’d personally stick with Pickford as at least he’s got the experience and won’t look quite so rabbit in the headlights.

Just now, Genie said:

I think they are all variations on a theme to be honest. I’d personally stick with Pickford as at least he’s got the experience and won’t look quite so rabbit in the headlights.

I’m not sold on Pickford, he’s got some good attributes and the experience for sure but he’s as capable of a monumental error as calamity James was at his peak. I’ve only seen Pope in a few friendlies but he always looked assured. It will be Pickford though, so we’ll just have to hope he can keep it together. 

Maybe I’ve been spoilt now with Martinez. 

I know it's cliched, but Pickford is good with his feet, and you really can't be an international tournament goalkeeper without that nowadays. Pope is not just not good with his feet, he's alarmingly shit. And anyway, he's injured. I don't think I've seen Henderson play more than half a dozen times, so I can't speak to whether he's better, but he's got massively less experience.

We're not going to change Pickford at this point.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I know it's cliched, but Pickford is good with his feet, and you really can't be an international tournament goalkeeper without that nowadays. Pope is not just not good with his feet, he's alarmingly shit. And anyway, he's injured. I don't think I've seen Henderson play more than half a dozen times, so I can't speak to whether he's better, but he's got massively less experience.

We're not going to change Pickford at this point.

Is Pickford actually good with his feet or is he just better than the rest? His kicking always looks awful for Everton. Johnstone is no upgrade

Â