Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

25 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

I don't think it is, look at the quality of manager and general play. Their are maybe 3-4 good teams and the rest vary between average and hopeless.

Few things with Phillips really. For us he almost plays like a 3rd CB and he's really good at wriggling away from pressure and finding a good out ball forward to start an attack. That's a very different role compared to this bombing past the CF role Southgate has him doing. So now we have a player being played in a role he hasn't played for 3 years and never played at a high level alongside a DM who has completed 3 forward passes in two games. Three.

Rice is getting a free ride for being properly pointless because he's established and people see him as the great white hope for England. 

He was our best player by a good way against Croatia and people are still choosing to criticise him over the others who haven't performed at all.

I meant more that Rice/Philipps are average at this level because they wouldn't start for any of the top tier sides. France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Spain, etc all have better DMs. So in the terms of this tournament, Rice and Philipps are pretty average. That's what I meant by my original comment. 

I agree with you that the tempo/movement of the the teams at the Euros is definitely worse than we see in the Prem, especially at the Group stages.

Rice' isn't pointless, his defensive stats are great and he's up there with the best DMs in that regard. He's very good at pressing and winning back the ball. I like Philipps are a player and he was good vs. Croatia, you're right. But playing both of them is eye-gouging, neither can pass to break lines. I was hoping Southgate drop one and move Mount deeper - but God knows now he's been ruled out too.  

44 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Anything other than semis and Gareth should take his hat and go

Great post.  The WC and the Euros,  win or lose you must come away from the tournament confident you at least gave it everything.

It will be regrets and why this and why that.  We have a team with the ability to just about sneak it,  GS doesn't think so.  He will be our downfall.

We would do better if the players picked the team and tactics.  I genuinely believe that,  GS has backed himself into a corner where i can see Jack getting the blame in the end.

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Great post.  The WC and the Euros,  win or lose you must come away from the tournament confident you at least gave it everything.

It will be regrets and why this and why that.  We have a team with the ability to just about sneak it,  GS doesn't think so.  He will be our downfall.

We would do better if the players picked the team and tactics.  I genuinely believe that,  GS has backed himself into a corner where i can see Jack getting the blame in the end.

Would add "and signs of progression going in to the next cycle" we should be sat here thinking we're doing OK with a young team, they'll be better next year after this experience

But weve gone backwards, the excuse afterwards will be that maguire and Henderson weren't fit, 2 players who aren't the future of the squad anyway, there's very very little here that I would expect to roll in to the WC, maybe mings + stones looking good and that's something that he will break as soon as he gets the chance! 

This is why people get pissed off with meaningless friendlies or even qualifiers vs the dregs of Europe even when we win, there's nothing in terms of long term progression 

I still think the WC cycle starting early and us having won the qualifiers easily so far means they won't sack him 

• Like 2

When are the media going to start holding Southgate to task, he's getting such an easy ride its unreal. It's everything but him to the incompetent pundits and media who aren't technical good enough to see what we lack in coaching.

Put a panel of Deano, Pep and Tuchel and rip Southgate apart. 

Kane's form is not down to the players around him for God sake, it's what those players are being told to do and what Kane himself thinks he needs to do to in game that's the problem.

Get this charlatan out ASAP, rant over.

Ps. He will put out a lineup tonight that have barely played together, with poor instructions and we will get beat, he will then chirp on about lack of experience. FRAUD. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Are we all ready for Henderson and Maguire to come in and save the day?

Henderson in for Mount to allow Southgate to finally play 3 DMs

• Sad 1

Not specifically England - but the whole tournament has once again been a bit flat for me. Might pick up in the knockout stages - but the current trend of sideways passing suggests otherwise ! 

too many teams qualify - it harder to go out than stay in at the group stages - so many pointless matches !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not specifically England - but the whole tournament has once again been a bit flat for me. Might pick up in the knockout stages - but the current trend of sideways passing suggests otherwise ! 

too many teams qualify - it harder to go out than stay in at the group stages - so many pointless matches !

Netherlands vs Macedonia was the only game so far with nothing on the line

• Like 1

'We’ve got some explosive options and a lot of them are young players and experiencing a big tournament for the first time.

‘So as a coaching staff we are realistic about our expectations of them as individuals.

‘Jadon is in that mix. He’s trained well the last few days and of course we have got those options and those decisions to make.’

What an unbelievably boring manager we have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Netherlands vs Macedonia was the only game so far with nothing on the line

OK - More broadly what I meant was you only really have to win 1 and draw 1 to go through.  a lot of junk games.

11 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Early rumours that Bellingham is replacing Mount, and not Grealish... Philipps and Rice remain unchanged. Hopefully just paper talk, Christ. 

Yeah but Schick popped one in from 45 yards, with 2 defensive midfielders it limits that chance 😂

11 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Rice is getting a free ride for being properly pointless because he's established and people see him as the great white hope for England. 

He was our best player by a good way against Croatia and people are still choosing to criticise him over the others who haven't performed at all.

I think that's harsh on Rice. He's a fantastic player, but he's playing in a role where there are 2 defensive midfielders - your man is the one who is tasked (I think) with being a bit more progressive and Rice is there to sweep up. In that role he's not going to be making many forward passes, particularly when 2 of them is one too many. Also rice and Phillips haven't played together much, if at all before this tourny have they?

Phillips was excellent against Croatia and average against Scotland (as were many), but he's clearly a good player.

I can't see Southgate making may changes for tonight's starting 11. Maybe 2 or 3 at most, now we're through, but probably he'll do more via subs. I think Jack will start and get 60 minutes, probably for Sterling. Sancho in for Foden and maybe Henderson will play instead of Phillips. Who knows, though? 

17 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Early rumours that Bellingham is replacing Mount, and not Grealish... Philipps and Rice remain unchanged. Hopefully just paper talk, Christ. 

It’s probably right, the team has leaked out well ahead of both other games and they were correct.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

I do agree that so many 3rd placed teams mean it's slightly less exciting. But I think it's been a great tournament so far. A few shit games but that's unavoidable. There's been some crackers already

Â