Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think mid-table premier league sides would take a chance on him if he left England. 

Definitely not, he brought Boro from Europa final to relegation while spending 12 million on Afonso Alves

Boro have played 1 top flight season since

37 minutes ago, PaulC said:

So hes replacing Mount with Bellingham and sticking to the same front three that failed miserably against the Scots. I was looking forward to this tournament. Southgate has destroyed that hope! We will probably win but we learn nothing and will just loose the last 16 game. 

Sure you did say England should have no fear of teams like Italy 😉

I'm sure Gareth is licking all the railings in the stadium as we speak so he can get into Mason's room. If he let the talent in this team express itself at least we'd score goals. We'd probably concede but the talent up top should more than make up for that.

Edited by magnkarl

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Definitely not, he brought Boro from Europa final to relegation while spending 12 million on Afonso Alves

Boro have played 1 top flight season since

Time will tell 😉 

I think if he left England one of the mid-table PL teams would hire him.

I think he’d flop fwiw but I still think it would happen.

29 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’d rather him destroy Palace than keep destroying the national team. But yeah Parish alright, he doesn’t deserve Southgate. Maybe he’ll end up at the Albion, they’d appreciate his unique take on football. 

Allardyce, Bruce, Pulis, Warnock, Pardew, Megson and McCarthy are all better qualified managers than Southgate and they wont be getting Premier League jobs unless desperation

England 2018 was like Sherwood getting us to the FA Cup final. Good at the time but out of character. Tim, the Nevilles and Yorke would be Southgate management level

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Allardyce, Bruce, Pulis, Warnock, Pardew, Megson and McCarthy are all better qualified managers than Southgate and they wont be getting Premier League jobs unless desperation

England 2018 was like Sherwood getting us to the FA Cup final. Good at the time but out of character. Tim, the Nevilles and Yorke would be Southgate management level

That's so kind its ridiculous.

Southgate is Eric Black level at best.

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

An English pundit from The Sun was asked on Off The Ball at what level Southgate could get a job if not at England.

He said Aston Villa. I got sick everywhere 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, YLN said:

An English pundit from The Sun was asked on Off The Ball at what level Southgate could get a job if not at England.

Absolute madness, there will be prem clubs that would give him a shot but it wouldn't take long for them to regret it.

14 hours ago, Cizzler said:

I meant more that Rice/Philipps are average at this level because they wouldn't start for any of the top tier sides. France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Spain, etc all have better DMs. So in the terms of this tournament, Rice and Philipps are pretty average. That's what I meant by my original comment. 

I agree with you that the tempo/movement of the the teams at the Euros is definitely worse than we see in the Prem, especially at the Group stages.

Rice' isn't pointless, his defensive stats are great and he's up there with the best DMs in that regard. He's very good at pressing and winning back the ball. I like Philipps are a player and he was good vs. Croatia, you're right. But playing both of them is eye-gouging, neither can pass to break lines. I was hoping Southgate drop one and move Mount deeper - but God knows now he's been ruled out too.  

All those defensive things arent Rice exclusive. The offensive things are exclusive to Phillips. Rice can't do Phillips job, for West Ham he's a proper take no risks, get it wide sit and sit deep without the ball player.

He's good at that, cool. The idea we have a double pivot but Rice gets a free pass for being less expansive than our CB's is pretty funny. Give Phillips that job and you'll get something closer to his Leeds performances.

Rice is giving you all he has. Against everybody in this group those qualities are redundant.

If were sticking with the two Grealish might be the better fit tonight, I think if he plays in the middle you need a more solid base than say Rice - Mount and this could work.

It won't, because Gareth. But I can hope.

5 minutes ago, YLN said:

I support this. Signing Sterling in 2025 for a bit of premier league experience. 

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That doesn't mean Southgate won't.

I agree with @Genie

It would be a shit appointment and Southgate is crap. But I think he'd land a premier league job when he leaves England

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

So hes replacing Mount with Bellingham and sticking to the same front three that failed miserably against the Scots.

Is this going to be a shift to a 4-3-3 formation, or are we going to be asking Phillips or Bellingham to be a number 10?

I find it kind of funny that one of the criticisms of Southgate was 'he doesn't know his best XI'*, but if he ends up picking the side it seems like then he'll have made fewer changes during the group stage than most other teams in the tournament.

*I know the obvious retort is 'he still doesn't!', but the comments I'm thinking of were made in the context of him chopping and changing too much, not getting the selections wrong.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is this going to be a shift to a 4-3-3 formation, or are we going to be asking Phillips or Bellingham to be a number 10?

I find it kind of funny that one of the criticisms of Southgate was 'he doesn't know his best XI'*, but if he ends up picking the side it seems like then he'll have made fewer changes during the group stage than most other teams in the tournament.

*I know the obvious retort is 'he still doesn't!', but the comments I'm thinking of were made in the context of him chopping and changing too much, not getting the selections wrong.

Southgate keeps saying he knows his best side but its obviously the wrong side. England i think have made the fewest subs as well 

Sterling somehow played the full 90 vs Scotland 

5 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

If we finish 3rd and play Spain it's going to be game of the tournament 

Spain could hit about 2000 passes that game with all that midfield space and Harry Kane leading the counter attack 😂

A lot of chairmen would consider it a coup to hire the former England manager, the guy who bravely led England to within a whisker of the world cup final.

Reflected glory and all that.

I bet he gives a mean powerpoint presentation too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

A lot of chairmen would consider it a coup to hire the former England manager, the guy who bravely led England to within a whisker of the world cup final.

Reflected glory and all that.

I bet he gives a mean powerpoint presentation too.

Happy World Cup GIF by Three Lions

Od GIF by MCDM

Â