Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

So much talent but also very frustrating to watch. He loses the ball a lot and not just because he's trying to be progressive. Also his tendency to throw his hands up in the air when something goes wrong is quite annoying. I'd still like to see if Emery can raise his levels like he has for every other player in the squad though. A consistent Buendia in this Villa team would get 15-20 goal involvements per season.

• Like 1

If you add up his minutes on the pitch it’s more like 48 premier league games.

So it’s around a goal/assist every 3 games. It’s not terrible. I don’t know this for a fact, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had more near assists than anyone else (he assists, his team mate misses the chance). I feel like I’ve read on a number of occasions words to the effect of “he should have had an assist today…” relating to Buendia.

Plus, as noted, Gerrard has been his manager for more of his playing career here than anyone else. Big ol’ asterisk there for any player.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t know this for a fact, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had more near assists than anyone else (he assists, his team mate misses the chance).

He was 2nd per 90 for key passes behind KDB when Norwich were in PL. Grealish was 3rd 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The facet of his game that I think we’ve missed most is his pressing and tactical awareness. Liverpool beat because TAA kept dropping deep and pinging balls past our midfield. 

Buendia would have been alert to this and got on TAA but done it in a way without upsetting our defensive balance and shape. 

5/6 points more with him in the side. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, thabucks said:

Would he ? Based on a few pre season games when Philogene-Bidace looked like prime Overmars means f-all … He’s tenacious and runs around but I question his quality for a team with our ambitions. Hope I’m wrong but cannot see him miraculously getting any better for us  

This. Unfortunately, we’re seeing revisionism whilst he’s injured. Gerrard and Emery have both preferred Bailey when fit and Bailey was dreadful for the most part in the last couple of years. With Diaby/Tielemans here, he isn’t going to get much of a look in, in that no. 10 role and he isn’t physical or quick enough to play as a wide midfielder. Ramsey, McGinn and even Bailey will play that role.

Given the clamour to sign Zaniolo (who is just as average as Buendia), I’m not sure where people think both will play. I get it’s a squad game but I fully expect another couple of attacking additions before next season starts and I just don’t see Zaniolo or Buendia featuring much.

Our core midfielders/attack will consist of:

Watkins
Diaby
Tielemans
Kamara
Luiz
Ramsey
Bailey
New
New

IF we get those two ‘New’ positions right with genuine quality, that is one hell of a selection for a front 6. Doubt many of you will be talking much about Buendia/Zaniolo if we do. 

(I’m assuming Duran will be sold). 

Edited by Delphinho123

45 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He was 2nd per 90 for key passes behind KDB when Norwich were in PL. Grealish was 3rd 

How many seasons ago ? 

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Watkins
Diaby
Tielemans
Kamara
Luiz
Ramsey
Bailey
New
New

Thank you Nostradamus.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He'd have had a Bailey like season if fit. 

He looked superb in pre season. 

Well. He had a great first half in the very first game, and was the usual losing the ball and throwing arms around in all the others.

I do think he'd have been useful so far though.

49 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Bailey hasn't even been favoured this season when fit, despite his output. He's started 8 PL games and been on the bench 11 times.

Last season under Gerrard when both fit (13 games)
Buendia under Gerrard: 4 starts, 9 bench
Bailey under Gerrard: 11 starts, 2 bench

Last season under Emery when both fit (20 games)
Bailey under Emery: 15 starts, 5 bench
Buendia under Emery: 17 starts, 3 bench.

In fact arguably the most drastic change to our team when Emery came in was the fact that Buendia was more or less starting every week. Coutinho was the biggest loser in terms of starts for that to happen, then Bailey. 

Maybe if he says it another 100 times it will be true.

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This. Unfortunately, we’re seeing revisionism whilst he’s injured. Gerrard and Emery have both preferred Bailey when fit and Bailey was dreadful for the most part in the last couple of years. With Diaby/Tielemans here, he isn’t going to get much of a look in, in that no. 10 role and he isn’t physical or quick enough to play as a wide midfielder. Ramsey, McGinn and even Bailey will play that role.

Given the clamour to sign Zaniolo (who is just as average as Buendia), I’m not sure where people think both will play. I get it’s a squad game but I fully expect another couple of attacking additions before next season starts and I just don’t see Zaniolo or Buendia featuring much.

Watkins
Diaby
Tielemans
Kamara
Luiz
Ramsey
Bailey
New
New

IF we get those two ‘New’ positions right with genuine quality, that is one hell of a selection for a front 6. Doubt many of you will be talking much about Buendia/Zaniolo if we do. 

(I’m assuming Duran will be sold). 

Not sure about that. I seem to recall emery liked a front 4 of McGinn, Buendia, Bailey behind Watkins at first and then Ramsey in for Bailey toward the end of the season.

Youre right that diaby being around makes it more competitive but the signs in pre-season were that Buendia was preferred to Bailey. My guess is we would have started the season with Buendia and McGinn on the wings, and diaby behind Watkins.

Whats changed in the interim is that Bailey’s form has astronomically improved - he’s probably benefited most from Buendia not being fit- and so buendia’s chances of getting in the side are lower than pre-injury. But it’s wrong to say that Emery didn’t like him last season 

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Balding?

Funny, but a player who's constantly on the shoulder. As good as Ollie is, and he's been fantastic this season, he's not that type of striker.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

We could get Hogan back.

This joke was past its sell-by-date over four years ago.

I'm not saying we should swap Watkins for that kind of striker, just stating Emi thrives behind a certain type of player with his killer through balls. There's still time for them to try and click though, but they clearly haven't so far.

Before his injury in pre-season, thought it was the best I'd seen of him and was excited to see if that form translated into his play this season. Due to the injury, we probably won't see that this season, but looking forward to having him back.

Â